Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninjahmelx3 Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2006, 06:14 PM
    I want to re-boot my computer
    I really want to re-boot my computer and start fresh... any suggestions on how to re-boot it because I have no clue... :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Booting is the process of powering up your PC. I think what you want to do is reformat your PC. To advise we needs to know what version of Windows.

Oct 13, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Um OK I think it's a windows XP Pro. Im almost positive but yeah I really need to start fresh.
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Oct 13, 2006, 09:49 PM
    What you want to do is format your computer and wipe out all the data and then reinstall windows xp afresh.

Oct 14, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahmelx3
    Um ok I think its a windows XP Pro. Im almost positive but yeah I really need to start out fresh.
    Hmmm, Aren't you sitting at your PC when you power up? Tells you what version then.

Why do you think you need to start fresh? What problems are you encountering? Usually a reformat is a last resort. If you tell us your problems we may be able to help fix it with a reformat.

Before you can do this you need to prepare. You need to back up any data files you want to preserve since they will be deleted. You also need to make sure you have all the drivers for your hardware and the install files for all your software on separate media.

It would also help know what model PC you have. Most new machines come with a recovery disk that will restore your system to the way it came from the factory. This wouild be the best what to start fresh.

Oct 14, 2006, 07:23 AM
    I want to because right now Im using my mom's account which is limited and my account is screwed up because I log on and there are no icons, pretty much nothing besides the background... Yeah I would really want to save all the music for my iPod

Oct 14, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Why not log on using the admin account and create a new account then copy what you need.

Sounds like you have a virus under your account, have you run virus scans?

And what about Mom. Doesn't she have any data you want to keep. If you reformat, you lose everything.

Oct 14, 2006, 06:36 PM
    I would but my dad won't give me his password. Yes on my mom's account I have music and pictures I would keep but I haven't run a virus test yet.

Oct 14, 2006, 07:08 PM
    First, you will probably need the Admin password, the reformat. Second, even if you don't, what will dad say when, everything is wiped out?

Whose computer is this? Sounds like you need to get the whole family on board first.

Oct 14, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Its mine but he made one up for himself but he doesn't use it at all, see my parents are divorced and for an odd reason he made one up. Wouldn't it bee enough to know mine though since my user account has admin. Rights too?
    laxplaya495 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 12:47 PM
    There's a couple ways, it seems like ScottGem has been helping you so far but I've done this many many times so I'll just add my two cents.

Yeah, make sure ANYTHING you want is backed up to online storage (can range from $5-$50 a month), CD/DVD storage (pack of 10 rewritable cds is only around $15), some other drive (totally varies depending on the size you have), or someone else's computer if you have a way of doing that

Then, your computer should either come with a restoration cd(s) or if your using and HP/Compaq you have a special drive that you can boot up from to reformat and reinstall Windows.

There is also a way to reformat through the command prompt but you have to have an actual Windows CD
    William Gary Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahmelx3
    I really want to re-boot my computer and start out fresh.... any suggestions on how to re-boot it because I have no clue... :confused:
    How do I reboot my computer?

Oct 26, 2006, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by William Gary
    How do I reboot my computer?
    If you read through the thread my initial answer was:

Booting is the process of powering up your PC.

To reboot your PC, Shut it down and restart it.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 13, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Ninja Mel.

If the problem is that you just don't see any icons try this.

Log onto your system as you. When you get to the main screen, where you would normally see your icons, please right click anywhere on the screen. A pop up menu will appear, search that menu for an entry that will allow you to see the icons.

For the record, the only reason to reformat your PC is because you have no other way around the problem.

Reformating will destroy every ones data, not just yours. And after the reformat, you will have to reload every program for that PC. Don't do that unless you absolutely have to!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My computer won't dual boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my computer not dual booting. I had windows xp installed and then I installed unbuntu linux. I don't know what went wrong but know when I start my computer it will go dirrectly and boot in linux. It won't give an option to choose windows or linux. I did not reformat...

Computer won't boot [ 11 Answers ]

I have recently been building a new system and finally purchased the cpu a few days ago. At first when I put everything together and booted it up all I got was a blank screen and the hard drive light constantly on as well as all fans spinning. So I took out the lithium battery to reset cmos and it...

HELP! My computer won't boot! [ 3 Answers ]

My computer got extreamly messed up... virus' spyware and such.. I got most of it off or what I knew was there.. except for one virse cssrs.exe and I tried to reboot to finish... and it just kept going in a cycle of 3 screens.. so I turned it off.. and now it won't turn back on. The cpu's lights...

Computer won't boot, but power light blinks [ 11 Answers ]

So I have this computer. It worked just fine for a while. But now it starts up, boots up into Windows just fine. After about 2 minutes or so, the computer will just randomly turn off. The power light will start blinking, constantly, once a second or so. I hit the power button, nothing happens. I...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

View more questions Search