Ask
    kellie edwards Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Need to know what 925 on jewelry means
    Please help me get my answers
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Jun 28, 2009, 08:22 AM

Got this from a web search.

925 is sterling silver meaning that is contains 92.5% Silver and 7.5% of other metals. [Always look out for the numbers 925 on the hallmark - a small stamp made into the surface of the jewellery - e.g. on the inside of a ring]

So why not us pure Silver for jewelry? Because the other metals are harder, Sterling Silver becomes much more resistant to damage, scratching or bending than if you were to use pure silver (not bending was very important why rich people used to eat from silver cutlery)

Gold Jewellery is not .925 it is typically sold as 9, 18 or 24 kt (karat). Which is a measure of purity. 24kt is pure (100%), 18kt is 75%, and 9kt is only 37.5% (i.e 9/24). It is alloyed with other metals to give different colours "white gold", "yellow gold" "rose gold" (rose gold is high in copper for example)

Prices of gold and silver vary every minute of every day on the commodities market, but once it's made into jewellery there are many other price factors (depends on the design, the exclusivity etc)
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Sterling silver contains 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% of copper and other metals. The process of alloying these metals with pure silver improves its hardness and durability. The introduction of copper and other metals in sterling silver jewelry brings about allergic effects on the skin.

Sterling silver jewelry is stamped in various ways such as 'Sterling', '925', 'ster', 'sterling silver' to indicate its quality.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is H.S.jewelry [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 inch necklace marked H.S. can anyone tell me what the H.S means? Or any information about it?

How you buy the jewelry? [ 4 Answers ]

When you are going to buy jewelry - 1. First thing you will check your pocket. 2. Decide that how much money you are spend on jewelry. 3. Jewelry are many typew like Gold, Silver, Glass etc... you must decide what you want to buy. 4. See the Quality of the jewelry and buy it.

Jewelry [ 3 Answers ]

:D Can you tell me all about mood rings?:D

Jewelry Value [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 18k Cartier Gold Chain 36 inches and 68.5 grams in weight Vintage how much do any one think it's worth? It is 2.4 ounces

How would anyone change their identity by their own means or by professional means? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi fellow users I am conducting research on this matter to aid myself look for a loved one who has not been seen for six years. I suspect that my friend has changed their identity and I need to understand how this can be done.

View more questions Search