Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 05:30 PM
    My parents don't approve career paths
    Hey watsup guys? I don't know if this is the right thread but somehow I love posting in the relationship forum! =P Feel free to move this post if necessary.

Anyway the problem is that I have an absolute passion for music and I would love to pursue a career in that area. I want to travel and tour around the world and promote my music but my parents don't really approve it. They say I need to get a real stable and job and they told me not to go down that road.

So well, now I'm at university taking this computer course which I don't really have a passion for but on my electives I'm taking music classes and I love them.

So I'm not sure what I should do. Should I pursue my dreams because I know I only got one chance in life or should I listen to my parents and get a "real job" they say. This issue has been one of the main source of conflicts and reasons for argument these days, and at the same time I want to do this but I don't want to disappoint them as well.

What do you guys think?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
    I'll wait until this is moved to answer.
    goon8813 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 05:54 PM

Follow your heart go for what makes you happy you only live once your still young if the music thing don't work out there's plenty of time for the university
    StNerevar Posts: 23, Reputation: 5

Jun 28, 2009, 01:40 AM

I know exactly where you're coming from. I too am an aspiring musician, and I also wanted to do this. My parents didn't approve either. They suggested that I should find a stable career major, and minor in music. It's not a bad idea to me, so that's what I'm doing. The risk with your dream is that you may not become famous enough or be able to afford touring and life on the road. Its always good to have a fallback plan.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 01:47 AM

Can you do both? At least get a head start on the music front.
    Get involved with local bands,a part time job in a recording studio,even voluntary on a Saturday morning.
    Your going to need some education savoy to make it in the music business,whatever area is your niche..
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jun 28, 2009, 02:12 AM

I say don't let it go. I've been miserable ever since I dropped out of the arts. Go for it. Your parents are just concerned for you and rightfully so. Don't give up your dream!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 05:10 AM

Well if your music is paying enough already for you to start touring the world, then go for it.
    My wife has been performing for 10 years and often her tours don't pay enough to cover expenses still.

So for now, assuming you don't make money at music, you go to college, get a job to pay the bills.
    You then perform locally evenings and weekends till you can start earning a living with music
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 07:15 AM

Do them both, have a means to support yourself, and pursue your dreams. Even musicians have to eat, and pay rent.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:00 AM

Yah I haven't gotten anywhere in music yet. Well I mean out there yet. I've been practicing at home very hard and I know how to play many instruments and I'm starting to write my own songs as well.

You guys are right I need a fallback plan in case this doesn't work out as I expect it to be. For now ill just keep writing songs and maybe try to start a few gigs at a local bar or something like that and at the same time still go to school. Alll I know is that I don't want to give up this dream.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    Alll i know is that i dont want to give up this dream.
    Hello none:

I wouldn't either.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello none:

I wouldn't either.

excon
    Thanks excon, are you in the music business too?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:32 AM

Don't give up your dream! Everyone else is right. Get a stable job and have fun with music on the side. Who knows? Maybe it will take off from there?
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:40 AM

Guys you know the ex always told me I was a dreamer and told me I need to be more down to earth when we were dating?

She never really supported me, I worked so hard on my music took music lessons for many years, covered many songs and starting to write my own music.

I don't want to get really famous or anything like that, its more of a passion to me not for fame. It would be nice to have a couple of songs on the radio lol

Do you guys think this dream is too big?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    Thanks excon, are you in the music business too?
    Hello again, none:

I WOULD be if I knew that I could make a living at it. But, my parents told me it was just fun stuff. You make your living in the business world. I believed 'em. I don't know why.

I have a friend from High School - long time ago... His name is Ralph Achilles. You can Google him. He and I played in a band, but HIS parents encouraged him, whereas MINE did not. He had one medium seller, but nothing much after that. So, he didn't get rich, and you're not going to see him on TV, but he did pursue a career in show business and he's a happy guy today. He works on the cruise ships and makes a good living doing what HE wants to do.

Not everybody makes it big, but the music business employs a LOT of people. I wish I'da done what Ralph did.

excon
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 05:59 PM

Hi, none12345!

What are some of the things that you would like to do in the world of music, please!

A good portion of how I make my living is in music.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, none12345!

What are some of the things that you would like to do in the world of music, please!

A good portion of how I make my living is in music.

Thanks!
    Hi Clough,

I would like to have a band and tour around the world perhaps one day.

At first I would like to start having a few small gigs at a local bar or something like that.

I would love to write music, and perform them and maybe have a couple of major hits on the radio. I don't have to be famous or anything but ill be satisfied with that.

And if all fails, ill just be a guitar teacher part time while having another job. =P
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:04 PM

Hi again, none12345!

Those are some lofty goals that are usually what people with some fame are able to do.

Have you already written any music? If not, or would like to know how to be more proficient at it, I can actually help you on this site!

Do you live in a metropolitan area? If so, how large is it, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, none12345!

Those are some lofty goals that are usually what people with some fame are able to do.

Have you already written any music? If not, or would like to know how to be more proficient at it, I can actually help you on this site!

Do you live in a metropolitan area? If so, how large is it, please?

Thanks!
    Yah I need some serious help writing stuff clough, I have some good ideas but I can never put them together. They always end up bits of pieces everywhere.

I live in a huge city. Toronto. I think you know how large it is =P.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jul 21, 2009, 01:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, none:

I WOULD be if I knew that I could make a living at it. But, my parents told me it was just fun stuff. You make your living in the business world. I believed 'em. I dunno why.

I have a friend from High School - long time ago... His name is Ralph Achilles. You can google him. He and I played in a band, but HIS parents encouraged him, whereas MINE did not. He had one medium seller, but nothing much after that. So, he didn't get rich, and you're not gonna see him on TV, but he did pursue a career in show business and he's a happy guy today. He works on the cruise ships and makes a good living doing what HE wants to do.

Not everybody makes it big, but the music business employs a LOT of people. I wish I'da done what Ralph did.

excon

How do I miss things like this? Hi Ex, I love that you (and Clough) are encouraging people in the arts. EX, my parents too did the same. I am not knocking them. They were scared of having a child in the "ARTS" oh my! But as good as I was, don't know now, I wish that I stuck with it. My oldest brother (3 older brothers) stuck with it and know what? He is successful because he is still doing it. He is happy. I am not. My brother is not a big star but he succeeded (I'll check the darn spelling later) because he stuck with it. He too plays on the cruise ships. You have regrets? Or should I post that elsewhere if it is too personal. I'll just say I have regrets. Nothing makes me happier than the arts. Nothing. But I understand that my parents, now divorced, were only looking out for me. I think. I stopped typing for a minute cause I'm lost here for a second.
    Anyone, don't give up your dream. Not saying you will be miserable but give it a go. Please.

Hey NONE, bits and pieces are okay. Same with me. It will all come together. Important thing is it's in your head, your heart, your soul. It will come out. It will. And it will come together. Go for it. Stay with it.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 09:11 AM

OK puppylovin, knock it off with the spam posts. This doesn't even have anything to do with what the OP asked about. She had a specific question about choosing careers. And it had nothing to do with wasting your time filling out surveys all day for a few pennies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My parents don't support [ 1 Answers ]

OK well first I wanted to be a vet, now I want to be a singer, when I told my mom she said, "no, be a vet" and I have a good voice, should I listen a forget about my dream? Or just g along with my dream? I need advice

Engaged and my parents don't like him [ 19 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 18 months and are ready to get married. We have picked a date that we want and everything. The thing is I don't know how to tell my parents. Me and him are both young, me 16 and him almost 18(dont say "you are to young to know what love is" I hear it...

Switching career paths [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I am writing because I am seriously considering changing career paths. I am currently working towards my master's degree in social work, but I know that is not what I really want to do with my life. I wanted to counsel;but my grades were not high enough to get into the school of psychology;...

I've found my soul mate but my family don't approve of him [ 12 Answers ]

I'm in love with a man called michael and he feels the same for me too I feel he is my soul mate I've never loved anyone the way I love him I think about him day and night he is always on my mind he does be there for me though everything my highs and lows and I'm always there for him My family...

Parents don't respect me [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 15, creative, and quite independent and I hate it when adults interfere, and I'm in year 11 doing some TEE subjects and some non TEE My parents are quite intrusive, they go through my bag and my room, and my dad knocks on my door, then enters the room without waiting for an answer, defeating...

View more questions Search