Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Need Assistance/Guidance with EVP
    I have studied the paranormal for many years, and have decided to attempt Electronic Voice Phenomenon recordings.

I have a regular tape recorder, with an external microphone. I've been to four different spots, and have so far had no conclusive results, however I realize it takes time and patience and lots of practice to communicate with spirits in this manner.

I have read much on different methods, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, equipment recommendations, and particularly any softwear that is easy to use on my computer to filtre background noise. I downloaded a program called Audacity, but find it too difficult.

I have a spiritual ritual I protect myself with, and I'm very polite and respectful. I ask simple, appropriate questions and leave a good 20 seconds between questions.

Maybe I don't have a talent for this, but thought I'd throw this out there to see if someone with more experience can comment on this for me.

Thanks very much.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 07:07 AM

Hi Jake, I always thought you had to be a channeler to do EVPs. You could be having difficulties because you are not a receptor and in that case no matter what you buy it will not give you the results you want. Sorry, I may be wrong but this is what I have heard. I hope I am not disappointing you, but I believe there is no gray area in the paranormal, everything is eather black or white.

Tick
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 28, 2009, 07:21 AM

Check this one out:

evp

The person on this site says the sample EVP's are listed below, actually they are listed at the top of the page as light blue links.
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Thanks for the replies, much apprecited!

From what I have studied and learned over the years, my opinion is you don't need special skills or required skill of some sort to contact spirits. It is one of those things that very ordinary people can do with success. It takes time and patience.

I won't get into what my experiences have been in the paranormal, but the EVP was a natural progression for me.

I've heard some very interesting recordings which keep me motivated to keep trying.

I'm going to change over to digital for my next outing. I think that's part of my problem.

A friend of mine has offered to filtre a few tapes for me; he's an experienced researcher with a softwear program far superior to the freebies I've been trying, that will filtre out background noise and amplify sounds that I've captured. Can't say conclusively that I have recorded voices, but I've got something unusual that's for sure.
    Chaosrox Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post

I have read much on different methods, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, equipment recommendations, and particularly any softwear that is easy to use on my computer to filtre background noise. I downloaded a program called Audacity, but find it too difficult.

I have a spiritual ritual I protect myself with, and I'm very polite and respectful. I ask simple, appropriate questions and leave a good 20 seconds between questions.

Maybe I don't have a talent for this, but thought I'd throw this out there to see if someone with more experience can comment on this for me.

Thanks very much.
    My group uses Adobe Audition to analyze our audio. It has a lot of built filters (ex: built in filters).
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Jul 10, 2009, 10:11 AM

The fewer filters on your recorder the better in some cases. Are you using digital or analog recording?
    The older digital has fewer filters and usually gets a better response.
    Happy hunting!
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Thank you Chaosrox and Mugger!

I checked out the Adobe Audition, but it's a bit expensive for me right now. Might just put it on my Christmas list.

I just purchased a digital recorder to replace the tape recorder. Have not used it yet, but weather permitting we'll be heading out Saturday night!
    Mister M Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Jul 12, 2009, 09:41 AM

Use a notebook desktop(if you have one or just a computer, but is better a laptop cause you take it where you want it), adobe audition( take it from a torrent) and a studio professional microphone (power voltage 48-52 volts)... you might need also an amplifier with a good transformer. Ask somebody that has an audio studio to assist you, maybe somebody who's making music. The distorting effect is made sometimes by the bad supply with power and by the audio system.-You use a tape recorder with an external microphone-so when you hear the playback you can hear sometimes things that you don't want to hear, that's why I advise you to try this stuff. (this is my opinion)
    Tell me please about your spiritual ritual for protection. I want to learn it and see if it's different to mine. Thank you!
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 12, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
    Use a notebook desktop(if you have one or just a computer, but is better a laptop cause you take it where you want it), adobe audition( take it from a torrent) and a studio professional microphone (power voltage 48-52 volts)...you might need also an amplifier with a good transformer. Ask somebody that has an audio studio to assist you, maybe somebody who's making music. The distorting effect is made sometimes by the bad supply with power and by the audio system.-You use a tape recorder with an external microphone-so when you hear the playback you can hear sometimes things that you don't want to hear, that's why i advise you to try this stuff. (this is my opinion)
    Tell me please about your spiritual ritual for protection. I wanna learn it and see if it's different to mine. Thank you!
    Thanks. We got washed out yesterday with all the rain. I'll check out a torrent for the audio, but, I do have a friend in a band, and I've sent him an email asking if he has access to any recording equipment that he could possibly edit my recordings. I did try the tape recorder with a decent quality microphone, external, actually tried that after the internal mic didn't pick up much. I am anxious to try my new digital recorder, hopefully the weekend after next.

I use what is called the 'white lights of protection', taught to me by a friend. All it is is imagining a protective shield that you build, by drawing invisible lines. I start at the top of my head, go down my body under my feet, and up my back, to to the top. Then I do likewise down my right side, then my left side. then one around the middle. When I am protecting more than just me, I envision a bubble of light to protect us all.

That has worked for me on many occasions, not just EVP outings. I know on two of the tapes when I used the Audacity softwear, I could see the spikes, and the second tape, where we heard what would have been a 'class C' recording, three of us could hear a young (22 or so) male voice, soft, mumbled, as if hearing a conversation through a thick oak door.

I'm hoping for an answer to assist with the deciphering soon, but thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Jul 12, 2009, 10:44 AM

The ritual is like mine.. . but before of this I purify myself going to the church and then meditate. I 've read something that you would like to see... search on Google the story of siberia gates of hell.. I don't know if it's true I've only read it... but on of my ex girl friends caught on a camera an orange sphere like a person's shadow . That was a Nokia phone with blizz, but I don't know the model... she deleted the photos before we broke up cause she said nobody else should see this... She had another picture like that on the phone looking like a women also orange... maybe the blizz effect.. I don't know but it was dark in the room and she was very scared. I don't know if you believe me but I know what I saw. Anyway If you want to communicate with this things ask somebody how's prepared to do that: a medium or a theological person.Welcome!
    Riff_Raff Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 11:18 AM

I use a digital voice recorder and expstudio audio editor for analysis it is easy to use and you can get it free off the web. Please remember most evp's are very quiet and quick so you can easily miss them so if you have any sound after a question then you should look at it very carefully.
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Mister-

The Siberia Gates of Hell was really interesting. Also the fact that these voices are heard in other places in the world too, even deep in the oceans.

The 'gates of hell' voices to me doesn't mean 'the' hell, but many spirits caught or trapped from moving on.

I believe anything is possible, and I believe your girlfriend saw what she saw, and I would have been scared too. If only the communication was clear. Why are they there, and what do they need to say.
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff_Raff View Post
    i use a digital voice recorder and expstudio audio editor for analysis it is easy to use and you can get it free off the web. please remember most evp's are very quiet and quick so you can easily miss them so if you have any sound after a question then you should look at it very carefully.
    Thank you!! I've checked it out, and will download it. Very much apprecite that tip.

The last outing, I asked a simple question, and left 20 seconds for a response. But what I found was that the noises heard were toward the end of the 20 seconds, so I've made a mental note to leave more time for answers.

The one male voice heard without any filtering was a very kind, gentle voice, but loud enough that it was picked up on the audio recorder with an external microphone. I'm sure you and others know how absolutely thrilling, scary, and awe-inspiring it is to actually know you are hearing a voice, even though you cannot make out the exact words.

Can't wait to get out there again.

Jul 13, 2009, 07:39 PM

Good luck with your research. I'll wait for your news.
    exhaustedmom Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Hi
    I'm confused on why one needs any experience with this..?

I lived in a one haunted house and actually put a hand held recorder in a bedroom with the activity
    We went to bed on the other side of house

All that I said before I left the room basically was : here's your chance to speak up see you later
    I turned on the recorder and we went to bed

The next morning we listened to the whole tape the ONLY thing we picked up was a males voice saying clear as a bell :: kung fu chewey

I know its stupid but there you go

I didn't do anything special at all
    We lived in the middle of nowhere
    We weren't stupid with the TV or radio on

Again we were on the other sicde of the house and were in bed sleeping when this happened

Good luck with what you're doing !
    I really found that to be fascinating stuff!
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Lol kung fu chewey! At least it wasn't something like I'm going to kill you in your sleep! Lol

I have heard so many things from people about how to go about doing this. Some, like you, use basic equipment and get results. My original recorder picked up some unusual things, but not clear enough to understand them.

I'm hoping the digital recorder will do the trick. Now to hold off the rain this weekend. Can't believe how many times we've been washed out.
    exhaustedmom Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    lol kung fu chewey! At least it wasn't something like I'm going to kill you in your sleep! lol

I have heard so many things from people about how to go about doing this. Some, like you, use basic equipment and get results. My original recorder picked up some unusual things, but not clear enough to understand them.

I'm hoping the digital recorder will do the trick. Now to hold off the rain this weekend. Can't believe how many times we've been washed out.
    Yes I'm glad as well lol
    This has made me go dig it out again
    I've been findng pennies all over the past few months big time in a crazy in my face kind of way
    I'm going to try asking if they will tell me on tape who they are and why they are doing it
    Who knows maybe ill get something other than a 1970's cartoon dog turning into a kung fu hero lol

Keep us posted on how the digital goes !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could use some guidance [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 24 and am incredibly depressed. I haven't been able to smile for over a decade now. My teeth have rotten due to neglect. There is so much more to it psychologically than I could even begin to explain. I am terrified of the dentist and the feeling of hopelessness that I'll never be able to...

In need of guidance from NY [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested last October. I had purchased a couple of handbags online about a year prior and needed some money so I took them to a place that sells your stuff on eBay for you. They listed the bags but found that they weren't authentic and had me arrested. My charge was only a misdemeanor and I...

View more questions Search