Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    longtime04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 07:58 AM
    has feelings but doesn't want to commit?
    Okay, let me start by saying I have been single for a year, after a 3 1/2 year relationship. After that ended I took my time and didn't have any form of relationship with anyone for a long time... Recently I met this girl and we started hanging out, everything seemed to be going well and I started to really like her, we had a random hook up one night and a couple nights later she decided to tell me she likes me and how it felt good to be with me and what not. The next day she tells me she doesn't want to commit to anything right now, pretty much doesn't want to even think about a relationship or anything of the aspect. Her last relationship ended more recently and it wasn't a good one, so I understand where she's coming from. When we're alone though we can only last so long before we are acting as if we were together... So you know the story, here's my question... How do you remain 'non-commited' when both parties have expressed having feelings? And I don't know how to ask if this is a dead end or if it is actually going somewhere... considering she doesn't know when she'll be ready for anything at all. I just feel stuck, I don't want to stop seeing her, but I'm worried I will develop deeper feelings for nothing. I know I should just let it ride and take its course... any suggestions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2009, 08:06 AM

Date her as in going out, hanging out but avoid going to her place, your place or any where private that can lead from one thing to another. Actually get to know each other more as friends first and see where it goes.
    Tell her it is all or nothing as far as messing around meaning that you do not want to get emotionally involved with physical stuff when it is not going anywhere. That you want the commitment to a bf/gf relationship before you go any further.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 08:51 AM

I would have a lot of other things to focus on and places to be than with her.

She is telling you not to get carried away with the attachment thing, so be aware that she has feelings, sure enough, but she is free to do exactly as she pleases, with whomever she pleases, and so are you. So don't play dumb, or hurt, if that happens.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I would have a lot of other things to focus on and places to be than with her.

She is telling you not to get carried away with the attachment thing, so be aware that she has feelings, sure enough, but she is free to do exactly as she pleases, with whomever she pleases, and so are you. So don't play dumb, or hurt, if that happens.
    I have to spread some rep...
    Exactly! Too often this type of relationship one person is thinking friends with benefits while the other is taking the message the other direction and sees it as they ARE falling for me. They don't keep it up for discussion and the one ends up hurt. So yea, DO NOT go along with things and expect that one thing leads to another and therefore she must have changed her mind. MAKE SURE she has changed her mind and ready for commitment.
    Do not read things into her taking things to a sex level. Guard your heart from possible later hurt.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 06:20 PM

A relationship needs to have a mutual understanding of what one is looking for. In other words if she is not looking for commitment and you are, you guys are looking for two different things and it might not end up as well.

If you are okay with no commitment now, spend more time with her and see where it goes. Don't worry about your feelings, it is not something you should hide but something you should face and embrace.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jun 27, 2009, 06:34 PM

In order for any relationship to work you both have to be on the same page. IF she isn't in the same place that you are. Your wasting your time. Granted she has feelings for you, but apparently not enough to be committed to you. You will save yourself tons of heartache if you don't make her a main focus. The sleeping with each other would have to stop since you can't make it just about that. Only you know what you can tolerate, either keep her as a friend and move on with your life, or stop hanging with her completely if its too hard to keep feelings at bay. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why doesn't he want to commit? [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 9 months now. We constantly fight about the topic of marriage and I'm so frustrated about it I could pull my hair out! He is 37 has been divorced and has 2 kids from a previous marriage. He is successful in his career and came out better than most...

Commit to stripper girlfriend so she stops dancing, or she stops before I commit? [ 88 Answers ]

My girlfriend is a stripper. I say that only half-heartedly because we’ve dated for 18 months and she’s only been to work about 15 times during that time. We met at the club. I’ve tried to support her going back to work when we need money, but every time it tears us apart. She’s waiting on me to...

She Says she doesn't want to commit, but still wants me there as if we were. [ 5 Answers ]

First I meant she doesn't want a RELATIONSHIP, but still wants me there as if we had one... My Girlfriend and I recently split. We split because (and these are her words, not mine) one thing will happen, whether big or something really small, and she would blow up about it... so bad that she'd cuss...

Should I commit? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in a 1 1/2 yr long distance relationship and we try to see each other every 2-3 weeks.. lately, we've been experiencing some relationship issues just like any other couples out there. My boyfriend and I decided to talk about our relationship and whether we are still on the same page -but its...

Can't commit until I know for sure - [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone Just after a bit of advice as I know there isn't an answer :-( As with a lot of posts it is concerning a first love. I went out with her for 4 years and had a great time - Uni came and we ended up splitting up as many people do at this stage - a sad part of my life but I would...

View more questions Search