Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jun 26, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Male Waiters
    Im curious, does anyone have a problem with male waiters? My manager says he won't hire male waiters because he feels its akward for the customers. I never feel weird if a male waiter is my server, but do any of you? I was hoping to become a waiter, and the other manager (lower rank manager) wanted me to become one because I help the waiters a lot (im a bus boy). But now I think this is why I can't become one :(
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2009, 07:53 PM

Hi, sGt HarDKorE!

I don't have a problem with a male being my waiter. What kind of establishment is this concerning, please? Also, do they advertise that waiter positions are available in general? If they do, and will only hire women, it would seem that some sort of discrimination is going on that's illegal.

Thanks!
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 07:55 PM

Waiters have to be male

Otherwise their waitresses ?

But I get your point and no, no problem

It does depend on what type of establishment your running
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 07:56 PM

I'm female and like male waiters. Your boss better do a survey of his female customers.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm female and like male waiters. Your boss better do a survey of his female customers.
    You know, Wondergirl, that's a great idea!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 07:58 PM
    Your manager is an idiot. I'm sorry, I tried to think of a better word, but couldn't. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Every restaurant in the country ( almost ) has guys waiting tables. Keep trying. If you're going to be a waiter though, you must learn to know the menu top to bottom, smile, and hustle. Good luck.
    321543 Posts: 72, Reputation: 10

Jun 26, 2009, 08:00 PM

I am only entrusted in service, appearance and professionalism. Male or Female does not matter as long as they are knowledgeable and neat in appearance. Buy the end of our meal our tip will be the minimum or a healthy one depending on just the things I mentioned.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jun 26, 2009, 08:16 PM

Yeah so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. It's a family restaurant. And he is not a great manager, he just sits around. In a chain restaurant, and for like pictures of the uniform policy there is male waiters and such. There is currently 1 male waiter, but he was there before this manager came into play, so he couldn't really be fired, but supposedly the manager tried to make him a cook but he refused the "promotion."
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 08:51 PM

I'm with clough, that sounds a lot like descrimination. As long as you're knowledgeable, polite, and get my order right, you could be from another planet for all I care. Lol
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
    Waiters in European countries are frequently male - Italy and France in particular.

Your boss sounds like an idiot. Does he live in the last century and think that serving food is just women's work?

Good service is usually a-sexual - it doesn't matter what gender the person who is serving you is - if it's good service it will be efficient and unobtrusive.

That's all that matters.
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 7, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Oh god no! As long as the food is good, I'm happy, I'm not picky and I do not ask for too much. How will the gender of the waiter/waitress make your food worse ?
    Kathsen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 02:55 PM
    I've worked in restaurants for 25 years and in my experience when a busser wants to move up to a waiter position, there are a few reasons the boss discourages it. One is that the boss doesn't want to lose that person in the busser position, because a good busser is hard to find. Another reason is that the boss doesn't think, in his opinion, that the busser would make a good waiter- we had an excellent busser who wanted to be a waiter, but my boss said that the customers wouldn't understand him because he had an accent-none of us agreed because we think a waiter with an accent sounds SO professional, but my manager's opinion is what ultimately mattered because he had all the power, and MOST of them are on a power trip. Another reason that I can think of and have seen over and over again- the boss LOVES young females and that's increases his pool of potential dates- so you wouldn't fit the bill.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 10:24 PM

I worked in one of the best French Gourmet restaurants back in the early 70s. Most of the waiters were men. We also had Bus 'Girls" This was in the U.S. small town. Of course the "French" thing promotes male waiters. We had female waiters also.

I think the Manger may have the problem here not the customers. Of course if it's a Hooters That's different because of the connotation of the name.
    Thesexyjessica Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2009, 10:28 PM

I like male waiters. Especially when their sexy! And I don't see the difference between the way a male of female work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Male - Male fantasies [ 17 Answers ]

I was just wanting to get this out there to see if anybody might be able to help me gather some information just for my own knowledge. I have always been curious to find out how many other heterosexual males thought about experiences with other men. I am not homosexual but these thoughts have...

Male incarcerated and spouse whereabout is unknown.Male wants a divorce. [ 1 Answers ]

Male is incarcerated and his spouse whereabout is unknown. They have been separated from for 10 years. He wants a divorce. What steps can he take while incarcerated to achieve a divorce?

Interview questions for waiters [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any common interview questions for waiters? Thanks

Spayed male dog humping other male dogs. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My male dog mixed boston terrier/pug. He has been spayed at 4 months old. He never bother females dogs. But when a small male dog comes around he wants to hump her all the time. Why is that? How can I break him from it? I though once spayed they do not have the desire to hump. And why he only...

View more questions Search