Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2006, 10:56 AM
    PVC flange on concrete slab
    Hey speedball1 (and anyone else interested)... after some thought, I decided to pull the toilet up again before committing to caulking it down. At very least I thought I should jam lots of plastic toilet shims under the flange to support it in the event the toilet comes to rest on it.

Attached are two pictures of flange I posted about earlier (probably should have done this in the first place). The first pic has a 2-1/4" closet bolt for scale. The gap between the bottom of the fange and the floor is 3/16" in the front and back, 1/4" on the sides (warped due to previous owner over-tightening). Max height off the floor is 3/4" on the sides. The second pic shows the seams visible when looking down the drain. There are some knicks and gouges in the vertical pipe - maybe the flange isn't original? I'm *pretty* sure there is some blue cement oozing out of the seam between the flange and vertical pipe, but I don't have a dentist's mirror or anythink like that to see really well.

Anyway, mounting the toilet on this flange requires a lot of shims. The space between the floor and toilet is up to 1/2", and the toilet rests entirely on shims (doesn't touch the floor anywhere). What's really frustrating is that the floor is perfectly level around the flange. I'd like to replace it, at the proper height, but I'm not eager to bust up any concrete.

Could the flange be cut/ground out?
    Since it may be a replacement flange, would it be unwise to even try?
    Am I being paranoid about re-seting the toilet on the existing flange?

Thanks a lot for the help.
    Andrew
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Am I looking at a inside flange? The blue stuff that you see is PVC primer.
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2006, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Am I looking at a inside flange? The blue stuff that you see is PVC primer.
    The blue primer is in the seam between the 3" ID vertical pipe coming and an elbow that goes under the slab (this seam is about 2-1/2" below floor level). The bottom edge of the flange doesn't have any primer visible, but you can see it above the primered seam (it's about 1" below floor level).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak Under Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I found out that I have a water leak under my slab floor. Apparantely the leak is between the shutoff out in the yard and the meter(which is located in the hallway utility closet). I hear water gurgling in my ductwork which is also in the slab. Called local plumber and he says I'm looking at...

PVC flange too high, concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I discovered the toilet flange in our downstairs bath is about 3/16-1/4” above the concrete slab. Maybe this clearance was left for subfloor/tile that never got installed. Anyway, the toilet rests on the flange unless a lot of shims are used. Also, it looks like the previous owner must have...

Fernco under slab - sround with Concrete? [ 1 Answers ]

I bathroom addition to the basement quickly progressed to replacing all the sewer lines. I have used 4" PVC and a fernco where I tied in to the 4" CI right before it goes through the footer and out to the street. Someone gave me the advice that I should use concrete and in case the fernco...

PVC toilet mount and flange replacement on slab [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm a new home owner and an idiot. I discovered that our toilet on the first floor (no basement) was rocking back and forth, and upon attempting to tighten down bolts, further discovered that they spun freely. I removed the toilet to find that both slots of the pvc mount were broken. ...

View more questions Search