Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ali3612 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Capital expense
    Is the expense for developing a patent a capital expense? Would it still be a capital expense if I acquired it vs. developed it?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2006, 02:29 PM
    I believe the answer you are searching for is yes.

If you develop something to become a patent, that expense can be capitalized.

If you go out and just buy it, the money you used to buy it can be capitalized.
    sajalarora Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
    Yes the expense is of the capital nature.
    As we all known to the fact that there are basically two types of expenses which are :
    1. capital nature expense

Which helps the business to take benefit of such expense over a long period

2. revenue nature expense

Which are incurred by the business for day to day running of the business. That is for the operating activities of the business.

Thus, the expense for patent is of capital nature. Irrespective of the fact whether itself developed or purchased.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for promotional expense [ 1 Answers ]

I just opened a restaurant and gave away $4000 in sales the first day. I am not sure what journal entry to make. And should it be booked at cost or fair market value? My guess is that the debit entry would be Promotional expense ($) but I am not sure what the credit entry would be. Also,...

Additional Casualty loss expense [ 1 Answers ]

I claimed property loss for a fire in 2003 in 2004 and claimed losses not covered by the insurance on the building. We did not get back into the home until July 2005 and the insurance did not cover all of the trailer rental expenses. I paid over $8000 in 2005 that the insurance did not cover...

Moving Expense Deduction Help ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in May 2005 and got my Wife with me to Virginia. Then I changed my job and moved to Florida (1000 miles) relocation. 1) So can I deduct my Wife's air-ticket expense from India to USA ? I heard from my friend that a CPA told him we could deduct moving expenses "IF YOU OR...

Living expense deduction in OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Can I deduct expenses like rent, commute and meals, while on OPT in my 2005 tax returns? I graduated from U Maryland in December 2004 and I did my OPT in Boston from Jan01, 2005 to May 31, 2005 . After that I switched to H1 on the same job. I'm filing 1040 (not NR) and I did the same last year...

View more questions Search