Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2009, 04:27 AM
    Artery plaque
    I have been told once calcified plaque in the coronary arties has formed it can not be removed. And must be bypassed. You can prevent additional plaque from forming.
    The coronary plaque that breaks off and float to another area
    Is not the calcified plaque. Or is it?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 05:18 AM
    I have been told once calcified plaque in the coronary arteries has formed it can not be removed. And must be bypassed. You can prevent additional plaque from forming.
    The coronary plaque that breaks off and floats to another area, Is not the calcified plaque. Or is it?
    Yes, it normally is calcified plaque. Note, however, that this is fairly uncommon. This would cause embolisms. These embolisms could lodge anywhere in the body. If they lodged in the brain, it could be fatal.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 29, 2009, 02:26 PM

The problem is that a plaque in the coronary artery may be stable and narrow the artery by 50% right now. For example, though since they are talking about bypass it probably indicates your plaques narrows your artery by greater than 70% and that there may be more than one since an angioplasty and stent don't seem to be advised.

However if the plaque ruptures, it may set off a series of chemical reactions that narrow the artery further or completely block it, causing a heart attack.

Prescient Medical - Heart Attacks

Heart attacks and angina are often caused by very different types of arterial plaque. Angina is generally caused by hard, relatively stable plaque that visibly blocks the artery. In the case of a heart attack, the major cause is soft plaques hidden within the arterial wall that are “vulnerable” to rupture. This rupture releases a liquid pool of various types of cholesterol and other debris into the blood stream that can form a blood clot, blocking blood flow to the heart and causing a heart attack. In fact, recent data have shown that vulnerable plaque rupture causes as many as 85% of all heart attacks1.

Plaque Rupture and Heart Attack - Medical Illustration, Human Anatomy Drawing, Anatomy Illustration

Aspirin and plavix block the initial steps in this chemical reation to prevent heart attack.

To REDUCE and stabilize atherosclerotic plaques
    1] quit smolking if you do
    2] lower bad cholesterol [ ldl < 100 ]
    3] raise good cholesterol [ hdl > 50 ]
    4] control blood pressure, if you have it [ < 130/ 85 ]
    5] control blood sugar if you have diabetes [ < 120 before meals, a1c < 7 % ]

G&P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arterial Plaque [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in learning natural proven remedies for reducing/eliminating arterial plaque. I am not in any danger as I had bypass surgery 18 months ago. While I am on statins and other meds(total cholesterol=149 Ldl=70) I am looking at options for maintanence.

Artery plaque removal [ 9 Answers ]

I was reading artery plaque could not be removed. They either bypass it Or stent it. By pushing it against the artery walls. They can slow the progression of the plaque, with medicines and Diet. But they cannot remove it. Angioplasty only pushes the plaque against the artery walls. And the...

Carotid artery [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if a person has carotid artery disease do they experience trouble with their throat? Like your throat is closing up? Thanks, BJones

Carotid Artery Surgery [ 3 Answers ]

My friend had surgery for Carotid Artery 3 weeks ago and it is ozing water from the incision almost constantly. He has to use a wash cloth to keep his shirt dry. He was told this was normal. Is it?

View more questions Search