Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jorij Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Yahoo problems
    Help! I am new here and pretty computer illiterate! I use Windows XP with hi-speed internet. All was well until yesterday and now I am unable to access any part of Yahoo including my mail which is driving me crazy! I keep getting the error page "Cannot find Server". Did I do something to mess this up?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Is that the exact language of the error message? If not, what does it say verbatum?
    Are you able to get to other websites? If so, on what Yahoo page do you get the error?

Oct 13, 2006, 09:28 AM
    It is a full page that starts "Cannot Find Server" then there are suggestions like click on refresh or check your internet options, etc. It sits for a few minutes before I get the message. Also, my toolbar only says "attempting to retrieve buttons from Yahoo!". I can get on to any other website I choose, but cannot even get to Yahoo's home page.

Oct 13, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Oops - my bad. I just got the message to come up again and it says "the page cannot be displayed" at the top. At the very bottom it sayd "cannot find server or DNS error".
    Sorry...
    jam01 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 02:09 PM
    I am having the same problem since yesterday morning. Something happened overnight that causes me not to be able to access any Yahoo page. My message also says "cannot find server" but my server is fine. I can go to any other page I like. I was able to check my e-mail at the library, so I know it is not Yahoo. I was told to clear my cookies and temporary files, which I did. I could then get to just Yahoo.com and the login page for e-mail, but that was all. Now it isn't letting me even do that.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Yahoo has made some changes lately and some things don't work on some computers. The computer at the library likely has an IT professional tweaking it and installing the latest updates. For those that don't have support, or worse yet, God forbid, don't use Windows or Mac, tough.

I don't know how to reconfigure my computer to work with the new Yahoo, let alone yours. You can at least hope Scott or somebody else here can help you. I just want to let you know what is going on.

Oct 13, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Does this mean that I am no longer going to be able to use Yahoo for my e-mail? You would have thought they would have sent a mass mailing to account holders to let them know of the changes and what to do if you experienced problems. I am lost without my mail!
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Oct 13, 2006, 09:54 PM
    Does all the other websites work fine? Try another browser like opera or firefox
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2006, 05:50 AM
    The first step is to purge your cache and delete all Yahoo cookies. Go to Tools>Internet Options and delete Files under Temporary Internet files. Nest go to Start>Search and search on Yahoo and delete any Yahoo fiels in your cookies folder.

You should also make sure you have all your Windows Updates.

Oct 14, 2006, 07:41 AM
    I did a search for Yahoo in all files and folders. Over 700 came up. How do I know which ones are cookies that I should delete and which ones are files that I need to keep? There were 3 files that began with cookie, but I didn't see a specific folder labeled cookies. Thanks for your help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 14, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Jam a very easy way to clear out your internet cache is from within Internet Explorer,Tools > Internet Options and then delete all temp files, cookies and history from the general tab.
    CCleaner is a free app that will also help you in this as well as removing other "junk" from your system and does a dgod job of registry clean up as well.

Oct 14, 2006, 08:54 AM
    I ran CCleaner and deleted all cookies and temp files. It still isn't working. When I go to Yahoo.com and click on one of their news articles, it gives me the same error message, so it's not just the e-mail. It seems to be all of Yahoo. What's really weird is that Yahoo messenger does work. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Oct 14, 2006, 11:26 AM
    I did everything as suggested... cleared the cache, updated windows, ran CCleaner. I can now get to my Yahoo sign in page. When I try to sign in, I am still getting the same "Page Cannot be Displayed" message. This is so frusterating! Any more ideas?!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 14, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Hmmm.
    OK if you can open YIM have you tried follow the mail link from there ?

Does this give the same issue?

Oct 14, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Same thing... I can't get anywhere in Yahoo.

Oct 14, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Same for me.

Oct 14, 2006, 04:21 PM
    When I search, most of the files with Yahoo in the name are in DocumentsAnd Settings\Username\cookies. That's what you should delete.

Oct 14, 2006, 05:07 PM
    I made sure all the temp files and cookies were deleted and it still isn't working.

Oct 14, 2006, 08:30 PM
    ScottGem - I went in and deleted the cookie files the way you said. I am sure this is helping my computer somehow :) but it still isn't allowing me access to my e-mail. Is there a way I can get ahold of Yahoo and would it do any good? Can I retrieve my current e-mail from that account and then close it and go elsewhere? I would rather not if there is any way to fix this. I am sure Jam and I can't be the only ones experiencing problems with this? Thanks to all who are trying to help us!

Oct 15, 2006, 04:11 AM
    I know I've been using Yahoo for years and never encountered this. The only way to contact Yahoo is to go through their help screens until you get to where you can e-mail them.

You aren't the first to report problems like this, but its generally been fixed by the methods we've suggested. Its definitely a configuration issue on your machine, but I'm not sure what else. You could try lowering your security to see if that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Yahoo [ 7 Answers ]

Is there anywhere to report innappropriate behaviour on Yahoo? Can anyone find out who I am from the computer? Please I need an answer as soon as possible.

To get Yahoo password [ 3 Answers ]

Someone hacked my Yahoo password... And change my security questions? In that I have stored my important documents... How get I back my password? Security questions is also changed.. Please help me to get back my password

Yahoo Images [ 12 Answers ]

I have Yahoo set as my homepage and recently there are images that have not been loading when I go to Yahoo. For example, the Yahoo! Logo at the top of the page does not load. Other images on the page load, but some don't. When I right click on the images that do not load, there is an option to...

Yahoo Help [ 2 Answers ]

When I go to the Yahoo help page, I get a blue screen and I have to highlight the pages to read the help items--this happens on several other pages too-just wondering why I have to highlight pages to read them--why isn't the background page white instead of dark blue?--Thanks so much

How could I recover my Yahoo ID? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Expert! I change my Yahoo password and it success.. when I try it on Yahoo Messenger and my password is now invalid. Please teach me how to recover my Yahoo Password.. I try to click the 'Forgot Password' but too bad, I forgot what is my birthday year when I register.. I remember I just put the...

View more questions Search