Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Love_hurts17 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Why cant more people be home schooled?
    I think even though the state gets paid and ourselves get paid I still think if some kids get home schooled there would be less fights. Do you think that could work?:confused:
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 25, 2009, 11:20 PM

While there are many reasons that people give for home schooling, it has nothing to do with fighting in a regular school or the lack thereof. People don't like homeschooling mainly because it is inconvient for the parents and it doesn't give the kids the proper experience in the process of socialization-getting along with others.

Home schooling is also used by cult groups-such as the Moonies-to keep their kids isolated from the normal experiences and exposures that normal kids experience.

Fighting in school, among many other social ills, is caused because kids have not been taught how to act in school. Their parents have not instilled the honor, respect and courtesy in their kids that is needed to behave in school, and other places. Of course this is a general statement, I have known parents who have done all they could to make their kids act like decent people, but they, among other issues, fall prey to peer pressure from kids whose parents didn't raise their kids properly.

I have spent a lot of years in various aspects of the criminal justice system and have seen this kind of stuff over and over.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 11:25 PM

And less friends :rolleyes:
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 11:39 PM

My daughter is homeschooled. I can not work so I'm home. Sometimes I am unable to work with her because I get too tired. The main problem parents have these day is work. She was attending a public school but was way behind in reading. Now she has caught up in all subjects. There are programs through the homeshool resource center that she can attend, like math or PE. That way she gets socialization.

Jun 26, 2009, 03:24 PM

Hey that's great! What you are talking about is a program that allows home schooling part of the time and classroom work part of the time. Looks like a great compromise to me.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 03:41 PM

Homeshcooling is a great thing. But there is nothing wrong with public schools either. I homeschooled my daughter for preschool and kindergarten. But she wants to go to school this year. So we are letting her.

It all depends on the desires of the family and the needs of the child.

And as far as fighting in school. I for one believe it's a GOOD thing. Conflict with another child teaches our children how to cope with conflict in a healthy way. If a child grows up without having ANY conflict at all in there life, they become adults who are very poorly adjusted when conflict arises.

Lets be honest people, much of humanity is NOT nice... and you can't expect to go through life without fighting

Jun 26, 2009, 03:52 PM

The problem is that "fighting" usually means something physical, which is against the law. My wife used to work in a school in a high-crime area, the amount of fighting is amazing. There are flowers and other items marking the site where one student stabbed another to death near the school's entrance.

Check it out:

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=708&sid=1378923
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther View Post
    The problem is that "fighting" usually means something physical, which is against the law. My wife used to work in a school in a high-crime area, the amount of fighting is amazing. There are flowers and other items marking the site where one student stabbed another to death near the school's entrance.
    Very good point. I was referring to the typical elementary fighting.

Example
    'HE STOLE MY BALL" "I DID NOT" *PUSH*

Jun 26, 2009, 04:00 PM

Yeah that happens all the time, of course, and kids need to learn the proper way to deal with it-part of the socialization process which should begin at home.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 04:09 PM

There are situations where fighting, both physical and psychological are not stopped by teachers and staff. That's part of the reason I took my daughter out of public school. Numerous talks with her teacher and the principle did not help at all. She came home crying every day.

My Mom was a public school teacher, a good one. They do not have the money or resources to "baby-sit" overcrowded classrooms. I wish that she had stopped working and homeschooled me. The scars I received do not make me a better, stronger person. They made me hate the underfunded public school system and find it suspect.

What would help would be required visits by parents to the class. If a parent was in the class, helping and saw their "Johnny" being "a boy" they would realize that the dicipline and nurturing needed, requires more than one teacher to 30+ students. They would vote for the school levys and donate time and money. They're working to pay the mortgage though...

Jun 26, 2009, 06:10 PM

No doubt that more parental involvement would prevent this kind of stuff, it is obvious to me that if the parents have properly raised their kids, particularly when it comes to resisting peer pressure, they won't need to be closely watched in school and won't cause these kind of problems.

If staff at a school doesn't stop a fight that they become aware of, liability issues can arise. We have had several cases of that in my area in the last few years.

I was a weird kid myself-a loner interested in firearms, of which there were always one or two in our home. However, my parents were "the real deal" and they made sure I knew how to behave in school and what would happen to me if I didn't. I never got into trouble in school.

At the age of 18 I was a military police officer in the Air Force.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 10:29 AM

It seems to be a very fluctuating circumstance. In one hand, homeschooling done right can be beneficial, however not always, and definitely not when done wrong.

Public school can be beneficial, but not always, and it makes a huge diffrence if you get a good school and teachers, or a bad one.

Jun 27, 2009, 11:28 AM

For sure, Jennie, seems like a lot of things in life work that way.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 11:10 AM

Staying at home to reduce fights is rather counter productive since then they would not know how to socialize.
    I agree it would be great if more parents homeschooled but people need people as well.
    de_sheeped Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 06:28 AM
    Because the state want children to be told what to think not how to think, so allowing your children to stay at home will allow them to use their own minds simple

Quote "the truth is simple manking makes it complicated" plato
    de_sheeped Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 06:30 AM
    Because the state want children to be told what to think not how to think, so allowing your children to stay at home will allow them to use their own minds simple

Quote "the truth is simple mankind makes it complicated" plato[/QUOTE]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I got to have good grades to be home schooled? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I'm in the ninth grade going in to the tenth, if any one can help me I was wondering do I got to have good grades to be home schooled?

What's it like to be home schooled? [ 9 Answers ]

I've herd of people getting home schooled and all that, and I was just wondering why anyone would want to do that. Like doesn't it take away the chance to make friends and go to dances and all that stuff that school have and home schooling doesn't?

Can I quit school to be home schooled? [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I have been having horrible times at school... I have been bullied and cannot take it anymore... everything seems to think wrong of me because I take so much time off because I get bullied and the ones asking are the ones who are talking about me! I have tried to commit suicide before...

Home-schooled child making bad grades. [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old grand-daughter whom is being home-schooled. She is so far behind the curriculum for the home-school work it is a shame. She will study science and history for hours and still make a 20-40 on the test. Does anyone have a suggestion as how to reach this child.

Home schooled: credits for college? [ 3 Answers ]

Im homeschooled, this is my senior year, I would like to know how I can obtain credits for Collage, does anyone know anything about it? If you do please can you help me with some information please?

View more questions Search