Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joey84 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Constant 'rushing water' noise in pipes!
    Help!
    Over the last month, we have had a constant rushing water noise in our pipes, both upstairs in the toilet and downstairs at the kitchen sink (both appliances on the mains). We thought the water board had changed their pressures but they haven't.
    We noticed that out neightbours drive way has massive puddles in it which don't go away.
    If they had a leak, would this effect our plumbing by making this noise?
    It is 24/7 quite loud and only goes if you turn the stop cock off and on again but soon returns
    Thanks!
    dmkegs Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Many times puddles that do not go away are signs of leaks. If the noise is constant then chances are that there is a leak on the water main or on a near by service. If this is the case the noise will usually be louder in the basement or crawl space where your water line enters the house. Call your water department and voice your concerns they will be glad to hear from you. Trust me they don't like to pump water they don't get paid for.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joey84
    Help!
    Over the last month, we have had a constant rushing water noise in our pipes, both upstairs in the toilet and downstairs at the kitchen sink (both appliances on the mains). We thought the water board had changed their pressures but they havent.
    We noticed that out neightbours drive way has massive puddles in it which don't go away.
    If they had a leak, would this effect our plumbing by making this noise?
    It is 24/7 quite loud and only goes if you turn the stop cock off and on again but soon returns
    Thanks!
    Have you gone outside and checked the meter with the house fixtures shut off to see if the little pointer's moving? It should be perfectly stll. If not then you have a internal leak. I would also take Kegs advce and contact the water department. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise in water pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Whenever we run water in the house there is a humming sound about 30 seconds after water is turned off. It sounds like a water pump running, but we have city water. Seems to only happen in summer not when weather cools down. How much trouble am I in? Thanks! Hinsdale

Noise from pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if there is anything I can do about this, I have just moved into a new flat and have found that there is a constant "rushing noise" coming from the pipes. This is 24/7 and only quietens after I quickly turn a tap on and off (but does come back after a few seconds). It seems to emminate...

Pipes Making Noise [ 30 Answers ]

I have read some other posts on this forum and have some ideas. However, I will try to be more specific. About every 5-10 minutes there is a clunking noise under our house. Our house was built in 1991 (I think), is a large rambler (3400sqft), and I have total access underneath it. This noise,...

Noise in pipes overhead? [ 1 Answers ]

About 9 months ago, we changed our old pipes to copper pipes throughout the house. Just recently, we hear funny noises when we turn on the shower in either bathroom. First we hear a tapping of the pipes, not too loud but enough and it sounds like it's coming from over our heads? Why is that?? ...

Decreased water pressure & noise in pipes [ 2 Answers ]

We have noticed in our kitchen sink (our home is a three family and we live on the second level) that the water pressure has decreased from the faucet although the pressure in the sprayer is OK. What could be causing this given that the water pressure in the bathroom is fine? We've also noticed...

View more questions Search