Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amijo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Wireless router no longer works!
    Visualize this home with gramma in one room on HER computer and Grampa in another room on HIS laptop. A wireless router permits them both to be online at the same time. The wireless router is connected to Gramma's desk top.

One night Gramma's computer wants to download internet explorer 8 and she gives it permission. After sputtering, muttering and bouncing around, the deed is done. BUT.. after getting Internet explorer 8, Gramma's computer NO LONGER CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET.

Next day Gramma and Cox technicians do a lot of things. Eventually it is discovered that Gramma's computer has lost its ip address and cox no longer will connect to the network card in the computer. HOWEVER.. cox IS connected.. its just that Gramma's computer can't see it and can't function..
    SO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Gramma deletes the internet explorer 8 and does clean disk and defrag and calls the Cox guy back again.

Cox guy helps her get her IP address back and set the home page, which was lost. Gramma is BACK ON LINE but the wireless router (net gear) is NOT plugged in to the electricity.
    When the wireless router IS plugged in, Gramma can't get online at all.. and Grampa SURE CAN'T. Grampa is really mad at Grampa for "ruining my enjoyment of my laptop" and he's being very nasty.

CAN SOMEBODY HELP??

Thank you

Gramma
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 25, 2009, 02:30 PM

My suggestion would be to unplug all electricity to the router and to the wall and then replug it and turn it off and on. This should reboot your router re-establishing the connection. Tell Grandpa to Chill-lax
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 05:09 PM

Something similar recently happened to me and having tried 'many' things, finally got it to work again.

What I did was to disconnect the router and unplug
    -Uninstall any software/drivers that may be installed on the desktop
    -Get out installation book and CD that came with the router and re-install from scratch as if no router was ever used

Once installed again with all connections hooked up properly during the install, the router should be working

On laptop, disconnect wireless network adapter (software)
    -Choose connect to wireless network and it should be detected

Basically, starting from scratch as when wireless router was first purchased

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect Pantech UM175 wireless broadband modem to Belkin Wireless G router [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Pantech UM 175 wireless broadband modem from Millenicom and I am able to hook it up to a laptop running Vista, a laptop running XP, and a PC running XP individually. However, I would like to have it where I can create a network so that any or all of the computers can access the internet...

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Wireless Printer and wireless router [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wireless printer, with a wireless router. I set up the printer through my router and the printer connects. But when I go to print it will not. I did a test page from the printer and everything passes. I do not understand. This does the same thing on 2 computers. Randy

Switch no longer works [ 1 Answers ]

We had two light switches that were in two separate rooms but controlled the kitchen overhead lights. About two years ago, I disconnected one of the switches. Last night, the switch that was left operational, stopped working for no apparent reason. I tested it and it no longer has power. The...

View more questions Search