Ask
    kooner_b21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 10:54 PM
    Significant figures
    In significant figures how is last digit of measiremsnt usually determinde
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 04:56 AM
    ? Please clarify. What do you mean by "significant figures"? And last digit of measurement?

If this is a question from a book or study guide, please post it verbatum. If not, can you clarify exactly what you're looking for?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Oct 13, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

When measuring, you should always report data to the first uncertain digit.

For example, let's say that I have a block that I will measure with a 12-inch ruler which only has the numbers 1 through 12 on it and no other hash marks.

The edge of my block lands between the 7 and 8. Now I know for sure that my block is at least 7 inches long. What I need to do now is give my best guess as to how much beyond 7 it really is. You can mentally divide the space between the 7 and 8 into 10 equal parts. Maybe it looks like it is a little more than half the distance to the 8 so I might report it as 7.6 inches. Thing is your eyes are different than mine and you might think it is 7.7 which is why we cannot say 7.65 because the tenths place is uncertain.

Of course this is where the idea of significant figures comes in. All of this uncertainty in our measurements.

So, that is how the last digit is determined. It is based on the first uncertain digit.

This is very much a nutshell as far as significant figures go so if you need anything else just ask!
    misty121 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Is4760 a significant figure?
    misty121 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 02:44 PM
    (4760) how many have three significant figures
    maridm1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 06:35 PM
    What is the nature of god hinduism?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Share what you like about your significant other [ 10 Answers ]

Recently on the site I've seen threads asking people to share what annoys about their spouse, and I realize it's all in fun, but it got me thinking... what do you like about your spouse? What do you really appreciate about them? My husband is tall (lol I like tall men, even though I'm short),...

How to get words of figures in Excel [ 2 Answers ]

In Excel, I want to put any value of figure in word. e.g. as in cheque there is figure in numeric as well as in word i.e. "Rs 45010/-" where is Rs is currency symbole in India this is in word will be "Rupees fourtyfive thousand ten ". I want convert the numeric figure in word in other cell .[/

View more questions Search