Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dottyjane Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 04:12 PM
    Why haven't I had a period in 12 weeks, when I haven't had sex in over a year?
    I am concerned about a few things really, firstly, my last period was 12 weeks ago. I am a 17 year old girl, and my periods have never been particularly regular, varying between 3-8 weeks at the extreme. Is 12 weeks okay, or should I be concerned?
    I am struggling with weight at the moment, I weigh 7 stone 3 currently, and am 5 foot 7. I'm not eating very well, and have always struggled but recently I'm only eating between 500-1000 calories a day. I know that this is bad, but I'm really worried now that I can't stop it, and also that it has already messed me up and I might not be able to have kids now?
    I have just had my A-levels which I was stressed about, but they have finished now, and still no period!
    I have not had sexual intercourse since my only serious long term boyfriend, and that was 12 months ago now, and yes I did 2 home pregnancy tests about 13 months ago, and they were both negative.
    Thanks for any help about anything would be great, as I don't really know what to do!
    Dotty
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 04:13 PM

You may have a hormonal problem. You need to see your doctor and get some blood work done.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 04:38 PM

Hormonal??

sorry, you are anorexic-how come you know your exact calorie intake?-you know your exact weight = 102lbs (I think)-That makes you less than 18.8 BMI(body mass index) = UNDERWEIGHT therefore your lack of weight is what is stopping you from menstruating.

You are way underweight, your body is basically saying "I am not going to provide conditions for conception i.e. allow you to become pregnant/menstruate, while your body could not provide enough support for a baby"

You need help via counselling for this. You need to EAT so that your body can function phisiologically, before your periods will return.

sorry but you needed the facts.
    What does this mean?

BMI is calculated using your child’s weight and height and is then used to find the corresponding BMI-for-age percentile for your child’s age and sex.

BMI-for-age percentile shows how your child’s weight compares to that of other children of the same age and sex. For example, a BMI-for-age percentile of 65% means that the child’s weight is greater than that of 65% of other children of the same age and sex.

Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 16.0 , placing the BMI-for-age below the 1st percentile for girls aged 17 years 2 months. This teen is underweight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment to determine possible causes of underweight.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 05:16 PM
    [QUOTE=Xrayman;1817208]Hormonal??

Sorry did not understand stone measurment of lbs.

Jun 26, 2009, 07:22 AM

Okay I know it does sound like I am anorexic, but I'm really not, I know I need to be careful in case it does get worse, but I don't want to eat anymore really because I am fussy and don't eat healthy things anyway, and I don't want to put on any weight.
    I'm 7 stone 3 which is about 101 pounds by the way.
    So it's not possible that I could be pregnant or have ovarian cysts or anything?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2009, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dottyjane View Post
    Okay i know it does sound like I am anorexic, but i'm really not, I know i need to be careful in case it does get worse, but I don't want to eat anymore really becuase I am fussy and don't eat healthy things anyway, and I don't want to put on any weight.
    So it's not possible that i could be pregnant or have ovarian cysts or anything?
    Well, if you haven't had sex since your last boyfriend 12 months ago, than no... you couldn't be pregnant.
    Could it by a cyst?. maybe, but often there would be more bleeding than normal, not less.
    Your concern about gaining weight at 5'7" and 101 lbs, raises a very big red flag.

Boost your intake of calories.. 500-1000 is not enough... even people who are trying to lose weight should eat more than that... eat healthier foods. If you don't take care of yourself, especially with what you put into your body, how do you expect it to work as it should?

If doing this causes you too much anxiety over gaining a bit of weight, you do have an eating disorder.

Being underweight can effect your periods.

Here is just one site to check out and see if you may indeed have issues with food and weight gain:

Eating Disorder Self Test and Assessment for Anorexia and Bulimia | Rehab San Diego, California | Casa Palmera
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jun 26, 2009, 08:15 AM
    So it's not possible that I could be pregnant or have ovarian cysts or anything?
    If you haven't had sex in that long, its not pregnancy. Cysts, endometriosis, PCOS (Poly cystic ovary syndrome), stress, and low body fat can all be reasons you have not had your period.

Considering your height/weight ratio, I would say this is very likely causing you problems. Part of what is alerting other posters to the possibility of anorexia is because you describe only eating 500-1,000 calories a day (1,200 or more is recommended daily) and you don't know if you can stop. These comments exibit very dangerous behavior commonly associated with eating disorders.

My dear, these comments are typical of those with eating disorders. Imagine reading this if it were written by someone you love:
    I know I need to be careful in case it does get worse
    How much worse can it get? We don't want to find out....
    I don't want to eat anymore really because I am fussy and don't eat healthy things anyway, and I don't want to put on any weight.
    If you're truly fussy, you can eat MORE of what you do like. You may not want to put on any weight, but you NEED to in order to live a healthy life. Eating disorders skew how you perceive yourself. You may need help determining what your body needs and how you can provide it.

The good news is that your periods will likely return with proper medical care. That being said, long-term eating disorders can affect fertility for a lifetime. Some never see a return of their fertility.

Please seek help immediately. We can't diagnose you on the Internet, but your comments are strongly suggesting that you should at least talk you your general physician or GYN about what you told us. No matter what the result, its clear that your body needs some sort of help. Good luck to you.
    topkay Posts: 27, Reputation: -3

Jun 27, 2009, 04:34 PM

Pregnancy is not the only reason for menstruation to cease. From your question, the harsh weight loss you have designed for yourself could be responsible. Visit your doctor for a more detailed explanation. But certainly you are not pregnant.

Jun 28, 2009, 04:01 PM

Okay I feel reassured that I'm not pregnant, and I'm not ill, I guess I do need to eat more, just at the moment I don't really want to, and I don't know what to do to get over this, because actually the idea of putting on weight does scare me.
    But thanks anyway, your answers have helped me in many ways :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Okay I feel reassured that i'm not pregnant, and i'm not ill, I guess I do need to eat more, just at the moment I don't really want to, and i don't know what to do to get over this, becuase actually the idea of putting on weight does scare me.
    But thanks anyway, your answers have helped me in many ways :)
    You have an eating disorder, it's very clear to us, not so clear to you.

You need help before this gets out of hand.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 04:56 PM

Okay I know it does sound like I am anorexic, but I'm really not, I know I need to be careful in case it does get worse, but I don't want to eat anymore really because I am fussy and don't eat healthy things anyway, and I don't want to put on any weight.

Sorry-That's anorexia to a "T".

To be diagnosed as having anorexia nervosa, according to the DSM-IV-TR, a person must display:

Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height : Weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight <85% of that expected or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected.
    Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though under weight.
    Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight. The absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles (amenorrhea) in women who have had their first menstrual period but have not yet gone through menopause (postmenarcheal, premenopausal females).

You ned counselling for EATING problems, your amennorhoea (lack of mestrual periods) is due to your very low Body Mass Index-less than 18 is too low!

You have an eating disorder and I KNOW it is the "voices" or "Feelings" that you have in your head that are telling you that you cant/don't want to eat.

I am well versed with victims of eating disorders (my sister -in -law is a bulimic and anorexic). I understand the psychology of eating disorders as well-you are definitely not fooling anyone here. Please do not bother posting further questions/diversions about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome/ovarian cysts or any OTHER questions unrelated to your ACTUAL condition-which is anorexia, as it is diverting YOU away from getting psychological help.

Although I'm not an expert, I would bet my left testicle that you KNOW not eating and the fear of eating is your problem and NOT the side issue of missing periods.

It is the psychological part of your illness (anorexic brain-if you like ) that is telling you to not eat-The Symptoms you are having are unclear thinking (due to malnutrition) and lack of periods. These are symptoms, not your illness-get help!

YOU need to get to the doctor's and tell them you have anorexia-and you need HELP! When you do this and some time has passed (when you eat without guilt etc. I will BET that your periods will return and your mind will be clear.

DO IT NOW!

Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have had a period for 8 weeks [ 2 Answers ]

I had the contraceptive injection in December for the first time, all was well until after christmas when I started my period and haven't stopped. I was due fir my next injection a week ago but cancelled it in the hope they would stop. Has any one had the same or know if it will stop.

I'm 14 and I've been on my period for three weeks now. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and I've been on my period for three weeks now. This hasn't happened to me before. I'm usually regular. I'm not on birth control. And I am still a virgin, so I'm not sexually active. What do I do? Its scaring me. Is it bad? Help. :(

Off OCP 6 weeks but no period yet. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has expereineced something like this. I have 2 children already and we decided to try for another. Came off pill 12th November and still haven't had a period. Feeling nausous sometimes but no other symptons. Had one BFN test. Any ideas?? Baby hopes and...

Period every 2 weeks [ 1 Answers ]

I was on because pills and got off them (Yasmin)! How long does it take to get back to regular! I have my period every 2 weeks?! I'm trying to get pregnant and this doesn't seem to make the situation any easier!

View more questions Search