Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mellow1956 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age
    If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child is 22 yrs. Old) to take the case back to court and receive the child support? It seems to me that it would be contempt of court since there was a court order and this should be possible. Can anyone help me?
    TeamSandG Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Oct 14, 2006, 03:21 PM
    There is a child support collection agency that you can call and as long as you were not receiving help from the state or county (which I am assuming to be true because the state or county would never let that happen) They will help you get all of the money from all of the years that you never got it! I think the agency is Child support Network. They get paid a percentage of the support they collect I do believe so you don't even need any money down! Hope it helps! www.childsupport.com for more info.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 08:28 PM
    You may be able to collect arrearages past due. Consult with a family law attorney to find out what your options are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2006, 05:17 AM
    If no attempt was made to follow-up on court ordered support, then its unlikely you can do it now. However, if public assistance was used because of lack of support, the govt is likely to try and recover.
    Gotwheels Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Hi mellow1956
    Anything is possible but the likelihood of it happening. Between slim and none. The first thing the court is going to ask is why didn't you do something before. Any lawyer will say we can do this. Yep with a ton of money and effort and when it's all done. The lawyer is the only one who made out. As far as contempt of court , there again yes and no yes it is contempt but you probably are over the statue of limitation for filing.
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 24, 2007, 01:23 PM
    If you have a divorce order signed by a judge and the father hasn't paid that court ordered child support, you can always, always collect the arrears that are owed to you. Even if the child is 30 yrs old! Its called child support arrears and there is no time limit (at least in FL) for the collection of child support arrears. The local child support office here in Florida will provide this service to you free of charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age can a child babysit? [ 15 Answers ]

My child with my ex is 13. I have remarried and have 3 other children that my 13yr old babysits for occasionally. I returned to work part-time. Usually it is for 1-2 hrs but one day it eneded up being 4 hrs. My ex threatened to call the police and said it is illegal to have a 13 responsible for...

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I need advice. My wife and I are separating and we are trying our best to make the process as smooth as possible. We have split joint bills evenly so we don't have to pay each other anything. She claims she doesn't want child support, but has a boyfriend going through a divorce that...

View more questions Search