Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmzetti Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Illinois Work Permit
    My son has a work permit and is only afew months away from being completely reinstated. His license was suspended for receiving 2 tickets before the age of 21 and not for DUI. This morning he was in a rear end collision and he got the ticket. It took us years to get him to this point and he is now over 21 years old. Will the state yank his work permit and render him unable to drive again? It is so hard to have a prductive life, go to school, go to work if you cannot drive.
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 01:03 PM

Many people have productive lives and don't drive; carry on jobs, take public transit, trains, etc. Sometimes it is a complete wake up call. I know Chicago has an excellent transit system but don't know where you are.

I don't know why they would yank his work permit unless he was in the line of duty driving while working, but that would be up to his employer. You don't explain much. So he rear ended, correct ? Does your state rely on a demerit point system for drivers licenses as Ontario does ? My son had accidents but his work permit was never suspended.

Tick
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 01:04 PM
    It's hard to tell.
    Most often they don't want to do that, as they know it can be a hindrance, how long has it been since his work permit? Is he still currently on a work permit? What was his ticket for?
    Personally, I would be retaining an attorney.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Many people have productive lives and dont drive; carry on jobs, take public transit, trains, etc. Sometimes it is a complete wake up call. I know Chicago has an excellent transit system but dont know where you are.

I dont know why they would yank his work permit unless he was in the line of duty driving while working, but that would be up to his employer. You dont explain much. So he rear ended, correct ? Does your state rely on a demerit point system for drivers licenses as Ontario does ? My son had accidents but his work permit was never suspended.

tick
    The work permit, she is referring to, I believe is that his license is suspended, he may not drive.

With a work permit he is allowed to drive only for the purposes of back and forth from work.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 03:43 PM

tmzetti, I live in Ontario, didn't you notice under my avatar I am Canadian. And yes I worked, walked and took the bus for several years living in Brampton, Ontario. My son, 27, is now doing it in Cobourg on the train to Toronto. We are a family of 'make-do' as far as that's concerned. I have walked in a lot of shoes, or walked a lot of shoes off, one way or another. In fact my son didn't have a car when he was attending college for four years 30 km away, he took trains, buses, buddies helped him and went through a lot of shoes too.

Did you actually read my reply before you disagreed ? No, you got all huffy because you thought I was criticizing your son.

We all have to work and play one way or another, driving isn't the only way to do that. I am sorry you were offended.

Kindest regards,

Ms tickle (with bad feet)

Jul 13, 2009, 06:02 AM
    I did not get all huffy as you put it. How to deal with not having a license was not the question, whether he would lose it was the question. Just FYI, my son goes to school and works 2 part time jobs. It is totally impossible to juggle such a random ever changing schedule using public transit and all too far apart to walk. All random hours. We too are a family of make doers but sacrificing his classes and employment due to an accident is not something I am willing to make do about. Additionally, he only lost his license due to 2 speeding tickets before the age of 21 and not for anything major. I also was notoffended but just giving my opinion of your answer as you gave to me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 10:33 AM

Hello tm:

Asking what will happen in court, is like asking the impossible. All we can do is guess. That's not what we like to do here. Our guess isn't any better than yours.

The thing to do is go to court, and if something happens you don't like, THEN ask us what to DO about it...

Or, better than that, instead of guessing about what MIGHT happen, I'm going to recommend that you DO something that might actually effect the outcome... You see, the outcome isn't written in stone. IF it was, then we wouldn't be guessing, they could fire all the judges and we'd just look stuff up in a book.

But, that isn't the way it is. My recommendation would be to hire a lawyer for your son.

excon

Jul 13, 2009, 11:08 AM

Yes, I already have made appointment with attorney Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work permit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am from india I want to work in abrod who to apply work prmit:)

I'm augandan lad with an exceptional ability in football, but I,want to know the soccer credentials an african must have to join any European football team?

Dear sir, Currently I am in the united states from 2004 fall with student visa as a TA and graduate students, my wife came here last year in November with dependent visa.Just before 35 days she gave birth the child in usa. Now I want to know, can I apply for work permit for her and what is the...

View more questions Search