Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Excessive meowing
    OK... this may be a silly question but...
    We have 2 cats. One can enter and exit a room and you'd never know it, the other, has to continually announce its presence. She'll jump up on the bed at night and meow, meow, meow. Is she trying to tell us something is wrong with her (she looks healthy and acts like a normal 2 yr old cat), or does she just like to hear her own voice. She seems to be doing it more lately than she had 6 months ago. She gets tons of affection and loving as does the other.
    gabriela_dc Posts: 17, Reputation: 6

Jun 24, 2009, 11:34 AM

No way tooo knoww.best is you should take her for a check up just in casee good luck with that
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 24, 2009, 11:41 AM

If she hasn't bee fixed she might be going into heat. Although if it's a fairly new occurrence then it's less likely. She might also be trying to assert her dominance over the other cat. I would suggest calling your vet, explaining the situation, and seeing if they think you should bring her in.
    Aruthie624 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2009, 11:03 PM

My cat does the same thing. She only stops when I start to pet her. I have had her for 12 years now. And she is healthy and loving. She has been fixed. We have taken her to the vet. The vet says that she just does it to attract attention.

If you think there's something wrong or your seeing other things are wrong then you should take you kitty to the vet.
    Hope this helps :)
    Love your kitty!
    piplup Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 12:33 AM

Like Aruthie624 said, your cat is probably looking for attention. I read that it's the reason they meow. If that's not the case, I would call an expert.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:52 AM

Thank you for all of your replies. I am sure it is for the attention, even though she gets LOTS! I've had cats all my life but never one that makes this much noise! She's healthy and frisky so I knew it wasn't a health issue.

Thanks again everyone!
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Jun 30, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Man, I had a cat like that. He'd start yowling downstairs immediately after I went to bed upstairs. I'd have to call his name, and the yowls would grow increasingly closer, until he finally graced me with his presence in the bed. He was a complete attention seeker! I miss him like crazy...

I bet your cat is just looking for more lovin's, LOL!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 04:07 PM

My probably part-Abyssinian soulcat Thomas Jefferson was like that. He was always announcing something--"I just woke up. Notice me" and "I'm hungry now. Feed me" and "Aren't I handsome! Admire me!" He'd saunter across a room, crabbing about something, and then lie on the table in front of me, making sure the newspaper I was reading was flat enough or that the roast beef sandwich I was eating hadn't been poisoned. Once, when I was in the hospital for two weeks, my son had to put the phone to Thomas's ear so I could convince him to stop howling and harassing the other cats. (Wow! I miss that cat!)

I'm guessing you too have a very vocal cat. Be sure to reply to him.
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 8, 2009, 05:26 PM

My cat is happiest in my bedroom where there are two windows. My back yard is like a bird sanctuary because my neighbor feeds them and has carrier pigeons. My cat talks to the birds sunup to sundown and tells me all about it in between. If I am not in my bedroom often enough, she howls until I get there or just yell back at her and call her name. If I say her name she says "what?" just like a human sounds asking a question. We talk all the time we are awake it seems. Sometimes she forgets and does the"keh, keh, keh" sound like she uses for the birds. Especially this one crow who comes to the window every morning and wakes us up to talk to her. They sound just alike! My other cat has a cat house in the dining room window. He is much quieter and only hums. He never meows unless it is time to go to the Vets office. Then he says hummow!
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:33 PM

I had a cat that did the "keh keh keh" when she saw birds too.
    I talk back to my noisy cat all the time but she never seems satisfied with my answers!
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 9, 2009, 01:56 AM

Flossie; I just love it when she answers me with a what?? Just like another human. I live alone so I really enjoy talking to them.(MyCats) I mean.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 05:18 AM

I talk to both my cats too as does my husband (even though he says he hates cats!), I've just never had a cat with such a vocabulary before and was concerned it wasn't normal. By the posts I've seen, it is QUITE normal! Lol
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2009, 09:03 PM

I've got one cat that does this weird sort of meow sometimes. It almost sounds like a female in heat, except that he's male and is fixed. But it's that sort of guttural mrrrrah sound. It's always when I'm not in the room with him. All I do is yell out his name to him, and he stops. A friend of mine theorized that hearing my voice is just letting him know that I'm still around, even if in a different room. Not sure what prompts it, cause he rarely does it.

One thing I don't do is go after him. If I did, he'd probably be doing it a lot more cause it would teach him that I'll come running whenever he says so, and that it works. If you give her more attention when she does all this meowing, perhaps she just has you trained really well. If not, she's either just very vocal - or is there something that has changed recently that would make her want more attention? There are some physical things that can make a cat howl at night, but overall cats usually hide things that are wrong, not announce them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Meowing A Lot, Wants to Go Out [ 3 Answers ]

We have an indoor/outdoor spayed male cat, probably around 4 yrs old (he adopted us, so we are not sure of his age). About a week and a half ago, he started being very unmellow at night -- waking us up with insanely miserable caterwauling, scratching at doors trying to get out. He is outdoors if he...

Meowing in cats! [ 10 Answers ]

My sister has a cat, I go over to her house to take of it, when she needs it. But the thing I would like to know is he always meows. What could that mean?

Doberman puppy Excessive Excessive biting. [ 9 Answers ]

I have read through all the other excessive biting posts.. I have a 3 month old female doberman puppy.. she BITES.. it might sound so simple, but its not.. I have scratch marks all over my legs and hands.. she has teeth an inch long and razor sharp.. It punctured by thumb today morn and I...

My five year old cat is meowing and spraying non stop what do I do? [ 5 Answers ]

My cat goes from spraying over my bedroom and loudly crying everywhere she goes. She does this for about four days or more then stops for a few days and does it again, what's wrong with her? She seems to be in heat but she seems to be in it longer than the last and soon after the last. She's not...

Unusual Meowing [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gray tabby cat about 16 month old. She was a stray so I'm not sure of her age. We went away this week-end for an overnight trip. Left her and my calico in the house together. When we came home of course she immediately wanted to go out (they are outside about 40% of the time, never at...

View more questions Search