Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmzetti Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Rear End Traffic Accident
    In Illinois, if you rear end the vehicle in front of you at an intersection because the vehicle ahead of you had to slam on their brakes because an ambulance was going through the intersection, is it the person who rear ended the other person's fault?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 08:54 AM

I've heard that yes it is, because the person who rear-ended the other car was not allowing enough distance between himself and the car in front of him.

The same thing happened to my brother. An ambulance pulled out in front of the car in front of him, my brother couldn't stop fast enough and rear-ended the truck in front of him. My brother got the ticket.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmzetti View Post
    In Illinois, if you rear end the vehicle in front of you at an intersection because the vehicle ahead of you had to slam on their brakes because an ambulance was going through the intersection, is it the person who rear ended the other person's fault?
    The rear-ender should get a ticket for following too close.

(I'm live in IL, am a former State Farm employee, and have been rear-ended in a similar kind of accident.)
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Just wanted to join the Illinoisers... (new word)
    But 'yes' the ticket is for following too close, no matter why the person in front braked.
    You are expected to leave enough room that should the car in front of you brake for any reason, you have enough reaction time to stop completely without hitting the vehicle in front of you.
    I have also heard of people ticketed for being rear-ended into the vehicle in front of them, but not as often.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:16 AM

Yup, following too close. My mom is an insurance claims adjuster and deals with this question all the time. There should ALWAYS be enough room to brake in the event of an emergency
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmzetti View Post
    In Illinois, if you rear end the vehicle
    Hello t:

The laws are the same in ALL the states. If you rear end someone, you're at fault. It's really quite simple, and it matters not WHY the car in front stopped.

excon
    coltonjared Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Jun 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coltonjared View Post
    I live here in IL and last Oct I got rear ended and I was given a ticket work driving to slow I was 18 at the time and the kid just got his license a few months prior so there is a chance the person you rear end can get the ticket I learned the hard way and I'm still fighting this in court while the kid that hit me is trying to sue me for the damage to his car that a beater and not worth anything.
    I called the cops after I got hit and a state cop came to the seen and then he turned it over to a local cop and he waited a week and called me at my high school to tell me I got the ticket but what can you do except fight it in court
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 26, 2009, 07:02 PM

Isn't this a duplicate question? Its showing up twice in my subscribed list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Traffic violation/accident [ 7 Answers ]

On 25th of October, 2007 I had an accident when I was at the stop sign on one of the road waiting for the main road to be cleared and was turning into the main road to the left but unexpectedly, the other car from private parking lot came in to the same main road I was in, and I could not escape my...

Road Traffic Accident [ 9 Answers ]

If two cars are reversing, one into and slightly along a small cul-de-sac at about 1MPH and the other out of their driveway onto said cul-de-sac at about 4MPH and the one coming from the driveway hits the front end of the other one with his rear bumper, whose at fault?

Traffic Accident [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to determine who is at fault in the following accident. I was approaching a 4-way stop, and was going to turn left. There was a left turn lane available. A motorcyle behind me was also going to turn left. The motorcylce behind me got into the left turn lane before me. With my turn...

Determining fault in traffic accident [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I'm interested in an unbiased opinion regarding determining the individual(s) most likely at fault in a minor traffic accident. I was traveling straight westbound on a college campus, no stop sign or traffic signals nearby. I was driving past a parking lot on my right when a vehicle...

View more questions Search