Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    howiewowee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Adding a backup water heater
    I have 2 gas tankless water heaters. I need to add a backup of either electric or propane to help with the winter strain of a gas fireplace, heat, etc. Is this an expensive process?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by howiewowee
    I have 2 gas tankless water heaters. I need to add a backup of either electric or propane to help with the winter strain of a gas fireplace, heat, etc. Is this an expensive process?
    If they are gas fired and were installed by a qualified installer, then the gas connection should have been sized accordingly to meet the BTU load of all gas fired appliances under maximum load.

You can have a conventional hot water tank engineered into the system if you want to, but I don't really think it's necessary, nor would I consider it an inexpensive venture.
    howiewowee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by howiewowee
    Thanks for the note growler. The gas is supplied by a series of wells on our property, not through a utility company. Several families are on the line and we are at the end of the line. So, guess who is the first to lose pressure when the weather turns cool? 8 months out of the year, everything is fine. Beginning about now though, things begin to get "iffy." Don't like those cold showers in the morning, hence the question about a back-up. The plumbing and tankless heaters were professionally installed. Thanks again.-Howie
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Rip out the tankless water heaters and put in a conventional one. Put them up on Ebay or Craig's List and sell them for enough to cover the cost of the project.

Once you put in the tank, you will have the stand by loss whether you continue to use the tankless heaters or not.

I looked at the ecomomics, and put in a new tank last summer. A modern tank just doesn't have the stand by loss the tankless hype claims. Any additional gas usage for you may be due to having hot water in your shower. I think I paid about $300 for the tank and pipe and pipe fittings. Relocating the tank closer to the point of use ran up the pipe and fitting bill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Adding an in-line water heater [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I purchased a home this year that is 94" in length. I installed a new 50gal water heater in the laundry room which is in the opposite end of house from the batahing areas. (It was where the original wsa installed.) My question is, since I am lossing money on water being wasted (the...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Adding a heater to an existing circuit. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place a 240V electric base board heater in a room. In the adjacent room I have a conveniently placed electric wall oven by itself on a 50 Amp circuit with 8 gauge wire. The oven is only rated at 30 Amps and the heater at 4.5 amps. So, I want to run wire from the oven to where the...

Water Backup [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I replaced the original elbow (40+ yrs old) on my upstairs sink because the plug had rusted out. After doing so the sink worked great - unfortunately the next day when the upstairs shower or the kitchen sink was used it backs up into the main floor bathtub. I have tried plunging while...

View more questions Search