Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsun25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Lights don't work?
    All of a sudden, the lights in my family and the light in the laundry room stopped working. The rooms are next to each other. The washer/ dryer have not been affected. In the family room, the outlets on the same wall as where the switch for the lights is, don't work. And when I plug an outlet checker; I get "hot/ground reverse" on one outlet and for the other outlet, I get "hot/ neutral" on the checker?
    1st- what do these mean? And how should I go about troubleshooting this problem.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, Thanks
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Jun 23, 2009, 07:43 PM

Did you trip a breaker or blow a fuse? Check the fuse box or circuit breaker.
    jsun25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Yes all, the fuses seem to be inline, meaning nothing seemed to have tripped, hmmmmm..
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 23, 2009, 08:00 PM

Loose wire at outlet. I would say the circuit goes through your outlets and then to the switches. Plug your checker in outlet and then turn off breaker. Pull out recept and check for loose wire, The recept that has hot/neutral lit up is correct but the one that has hot/ground reverse may have loose wire or the wire going to it may be loose at other recept.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan lights won't work. [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan light kit and everything works OK except the lights. The instructions say to connect the white wire in the kit to the white wire in the fixture, and the black wire in the kit to the blue wire in the fixture. It doesn't work-any ideas?

Fan work with remote but no lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hampton Bay "Garrison" fan with remote, the fan works in all 3 speeds, but lights won't work. Any suggestions

Tail lights do not work [ 1 Answers ]

1996 dodge dakota, when I pull the headlight switch the headlights come on but no tail,running, or dash lights? Every other light works fine, turn,back up,brake all work I can't figure it out, please help

Ceiling fan/lights work fan won't [ 2 Answers ]

We have had a ceiling fan in out family room for years. One day the fan just stopped working but the lights continued to work. We assumed the motor on the fan burned out. My husband recently put in a new Hampton Fan and when we tested it the lights worked, but the fan turned for a second then...

My lights won't work right! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, this is a complex questions but I would appreciate ANY help in regards to it. My downstairs bathroom and laundry room are right next to each other and the lights won't work any more in either room. They will sometimes flicker on but will go out again. All other lights throughout the house...

View more questions Search