Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJDAN Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Wife Purposely Trying To Hurt Me
    My wife and I seem to get into some sort of arguement/ fight on average of at lease once every 10 - 14 days and they usually last between 2 - 4 days in length and involve a lot of silence, then shouting, some swearing and button pushing. We got into another argument where I had a day off at my job and decided to work my second part-time job that day for some extra money (which ithe week before she yelled at me about not having enough money, my life goals, my career, how much I make etc). She works shift work so she was getitng off night shift, then going to bed for the day to ge tup and work night shift again, so I would have only seen her for two hours and had to travel for 2.5 hours just to see her. She told me I don't care about her because I dodn't come see her etc. but yet has taken off camping for two days and nights with her friend on nights we would have together.

Well that escalated into her telling me she wants a divorce (which I told her to not talk about just to hurt me before) her crying, ripping up pictures of us and mean things were said on both sides. Only difference is I told her things like I think we fight too much over stupid things, that sometimes I don't feel comfortable calling her (like walking on egg shells), that we need to do soemthing (more time apart, more time together , what ever) and I was honest with her about having a child. We have been married a year, and her friends are having babies and now she wants one. I said we should stick to the plan of buying a house this year first and that at this very second I am not ready to be a father. She took everything I said to her personally and has spent two days crying. All I wanted to do was to talk to her about ways to cut down our fighting so we had more quality time together and I didn't feel like I was walking on egg shells. My first thought was to limit the conversation after her night shifts as I know she is very tired and the conversations usually go down hill fast. Instead she is making me feel like a bad person and that I have "broken her heart" and make her sad.

Anyway, she went on her camping trip and last night called me at 1am drunk and her and her friend were hanging out with two young guys (strangers) they met camping. She told me they went skinny dipping, and when I asked to her to confirm who all went skinny dipping she said "not until you start treating me better" and still hasn't confirmed. Its obvious all 4 went as her and her friend would not go alone or she is making it up to get what she wants and to hurt me. I don't know how to react to this other then with anger. I feel she has no respect what so ever for me and now, even if she is making it up, I cannot trust her or believe she tells me. I know skinny dipping is not cheating, but I don't feel its something a married person should do unless with their spouse. It feels like a High School relationship of "who can top who" which I didn't want. From here I don't know where to go. She gets home tomorrow night and already coming off a tough weekend/ arguments this does nothing but make things worse in a whole other level.

Am I overreacting, or what is the best way to handle this?
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Jun 23, 2009, 12:47 PM

Marriage Counseling is highly suggested, some of the things you described does seem rather childish.

I don't really know what you are fighting over as you really don't go into enough detail, and I don't want to make assumptions about your marriage.
    But I can tell that there is something bothering her deep down. You need to find out what it is, and I think because you and her can't communicate effectively you need a mediator, so that the both of you can get out those feelings that is causing the two of you to fight.
    maria73110 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 12:52 PM

Aj, get out of your relationship. You either agree to seek counseling or get out of it. It takes 2 to make a relationship work. There is no shame in getting out of a marriage that is useless and gone wrong. If you don't do anything about it, you will just be prolonging both your agony. So, what's holding you up?

Neither of you are happy, she finds fault in you, you can't seem to please her, etc..

Ask yourself honestly if you really love her, and did you get married for the right reason - meaning it was not for physical reasons, loneliness, etc..

What did you like about her when you guys got married. Maybe you need to start from the basics. Point out the good things about her, focus on what you like about her.. maybe that will change things around. The Law of Attraction states that what you focus or give attention to, the universe will give you more of it. Think about that.

The best gift you can give to anyone is to be a whole person first. Otherwise, if you are miserable, nothing good can come out of the relationship. If I were you, I would have a heart-to-heart talk and let her know that you want to be happy. And if she is not happy with you, then close the case. What else are you waiting for ?

Good luck.

Jun 23, 2009, 01:08 PM

Also wanted to add
    Honestly, reading your post you make it seems that she is at fault for the disruption of this marriage, and you have not admitted to anything you have done to contribute to the arguing, so for me to say leave her, without knowing the true relationship is absurd, as we all know there is two sides to a story.
    As I said, I think both of you have differences that needs to be sorted out with a mediator, Your marriage can be saved but it will take work just as anything we want to hold on to. You have to be willing to work hard at it together. It's not going to be easy all the time, but at least try at it, before you just give up.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 23, 2009, 01:29 PM

I just started reading your posting and within the first few sentences it sounds to me like she is making up things to fight about or she is being a spoiled brat. With all the fighting that is present in your relationship I think it is reasonable to hold off on having a child. It's important to remember that children don't make things better, they have a tendency to put more stress on relationships. If it's not okay prior to the children chances are it will not get any better.
    Secondly, the skinning dipping with strange men and the game playing is really just uncalled for in "the real world" she has a lot of growing up to do.

Jun 23, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jolienoire View Post
    Also wanted to add
    Honestly, reading your post you make it seems that she is at fault for the disruption of this marriage, and you have not admitted to anything you have done to contribute to the arguing, so for me to say leave her, without knowing the true relationship is absurd, as we all know there is two sides to a story.
    As I said, I think both of you have differences that needs to be sorted out with a mediator, Your marriage can be saved but it will take work just as anything we want to hold on to. You have to be willing to work hard at it together. It's not going to be easy all the time, but atleast try at it, before you just give up.
    I know it sounds like that, and believe me I have my faults (lack attention to detail = not noticing a new hair cut or shirt), can get defensive, not a big fan of controversy/drama/ conflict which then leads me to sometimes bottle things up are just a few that are on top of mind.

I can honestly say that despite being told that I don't make her happy, or do anything for her or take care of her I try very hard (I go shopping with her twice amonth, rub her feet on a nightly basis, make dinner 80% of the time even when I worked that day and she has been home all day, watch what ever she wants to watch on TV everynight (despite having two TV's she has such a fear of being alone that she gets upset if I go to the other room to watch a ball game and she considers watching her shows "quality time".

Anyway, I know I get upset at her when she says mean things to me in an argument and then I find myself doing it now. I feel I tried to talk to her about how I was feeling and what could be done as a couple to improve on it and ended up somehow making her miserable, my problem un-touched and now her skinny dipping with strangers.

Jun 23, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AJDAN View Post
    her skinny dipping with strangers.
    You have every right to feel betrayed if this in fact is true, there is still a possibility that she could be purposely trying to get you upset to get a reaction out of you, to see how much you care. It is the wrong way to communicate in a marriage, and like I said earlier it does seem rather childish.

From what you are telling me it seems she is unhappy with something perhaps it is her ownself, and also it depends on whom she surrounds herself around, and what they are telling her.

I don't really know what is bothering her, but I had a phase like that in my life at one point, where I would just be unhappy with everything despite nothing really being wrong. I use to create problems when there weren't any, and always felt my behavior was justifiable. I have grown out of that stage. However, I realized that I had a problem with wanting everything to be perfect in yet an unperfect world.

I would anger easily and become frustrated at the drop of a dime taking my frustrations out on my partner. In order for me to realize that I had to do some extensive self-repair, and major communication with my partner.

Is she happy with herself? Is she constantly looking for attention? If so she could be suffering from self-esteem issues. Or so afraid of having a failed marriage she could be creating the problems.
    A year is still early to be facing this perhaps, anxiety is kicking in and she feels the pressure, marriage is not for everyone, and once the honey moon phase dies down people start to panic, and begin fighting, just as the two of you are doing with no valid reasons, or real issues. I mean there could be many other reasons but you guys need to get to the bottom of this so you can start anew.
    I mean this is why I stress counseling is very vital if you want to stay in this marriage.

Jun 23, 2009, 02:10 PM
    I don't really know what is bothering her, but I had a phase like that in my life at one point, where I would just be unhappy with everything despite nothing really being wrong. I use to create problems when there weren't any, and always felt my behavior was justifiable. I have grown out of that stage. However, I realized that I had a problem with wanting everything to be perfect in yet an unperfect world.

I would anger easily and become frustrated at the drop of a dime taking my frustrations out on my partner. In order for me to realize that I had to do some extensive self-repair, and major communication with my partner.

That is a good description actually. She is a very pestemistic person, only see's the bad side of everything, nothing is good enough, always needs attention, has a very short fuse and is often angry, and if not angry then sad. She gets furious if she doesn't get what she wants and pulls temper tantrums in places like the gym and in other public places. I have seen her take her ring off and tell me its over because I was meeting her at the mall and told her to leave early in case there was traffic. She ended up being early, and though I was on-time she freaked out and said she is sick of me leing to her and she can't trust what I tell her and took her ring off and stormed out of the mall. It may be beyond that though, I have seen her scream for help when I was walking after her trying to settle her down in an argument, been stabbed with a dull butter knife cause I wouldn't let her leave in an argurment, been back handed in the stomach during an argument, seen her stair into a mirror while I am standing behind her while she says "I'm all alone. Your not really here" during an arguement(that one was on our honeymoon, which I was accused of looking at aniother girl in the pool) and most recently she got mad because I fell asleep before her because she said if I was sleeping "what if I saw a ghost and I was the only one awake?". I know everyone has their quirks, but these things kind of freak me out. Are these at all normal? Could they be linked to depression or anger problems? Monophobia maybe?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 23, 2009, 02:13 PM

Your feeling guilty right now. You need to understand that there are always going to be things that we do that do not make the other people happy. That doesn't make it okay to lash out and hurt each other. You do deserve better treatment. There are several women that would be over the moon with a man like you~ from the sounds of it.

Jun 23, 2009, 02:26 PM
    I know everyone has their quirks, but these things kind of freak me out. Are these at all normal? Could they be linked to depression or anger problems? Monophobia maybe?

Normal, Absolutely not!!

Wives don't normally try to stab their husbands with butterknives, or go skinny dipping with strangers, or throw temper tantrums. What she could have could be signs of monophobia, but she claims to be alone when you are there with her, I mean does she want you to be in her skin would that be enough for her?

I mean she feels alone because she want to be. She definitely seems as though she has some major issues, and I don't know if this could be something that happened in her past that causes her to act this way but I definitely sense major issues.

It can be many things, depression could be on of them, or just maybe she needs to be alone, again you need to get to the bottom of this. Especially for your own sanity.
    If you have to separate yourself from this situation than do so.

Also to add if she isn't willing to go the mile to correct this, then unfortanately this marriage may be doomed.

What do you want to happen with this marriage? How far are you willing to go? And how much more you can take?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Adjan, this isn't your first post on this site about your relationship.

See: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/marria...re-349678.html

I think that there are serious issues in your marriage, that won't be resolved by just writing to this site. Have you done anything that was suggested to you in your previous post?

The first thing I would suggest is to stop feeding into her drama. It continues to be 'circular' with her, because you allow your buttons to be pushed. Retreat from arguments with her, don't engage when she pushes your buttons - the skinny dipping call is a classic example.

I'd like you to go to a website called "Shrink4Men". Have a read, and see if there are any similarities with your wife. I have a strong feeling there will be.

Essentially you're the one that must decide what to do. You don't need to do this immediately, but ask yourself if you want your relationship to continue in this way. I think that you have 3 alternatives:

• Stay and cater to her moods, needs and demands. The life will soon be sucked out of you and you'll feel like an empty shell.
    • Stay and assert yourself, don't cater to her moods, needs and demands. Your life will be full of drama and conflict and it will only be a matter of time before you will want to leave.
    • Let her know that unless she's prepared to make some changes to her moods, needs and demands you cannot stay in the relationship. Give it a period of time. Keep your word about leaving if nothing happens or if it recurs.

Ask yourself - do you REALLY want a child with a woman that behaves like this? You have some serious thinking to do.

Jun 24, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Yes I know writing in to this website can help me with advice, but isn't really going to fix anything.

I think being un-confrontational has really not helped me. I know its not good to compare relationships in the past, but I try to think back to one I had for 4 years and I don't understand how it went 4 years with maybe two or three fights, and they were for good reasons. In many ways I feel that I have almost lost touch with reality, and what has become the "norm" for me really isn't normal at all and that has left me kind of confused and not feeling like myself, or really knowing who I am at times. I know I told her this and she cried and focused on it being such a horrible thing and didn't stop to actually talk about why I fell this way and what WE can do to alleviate the problem. Her answer to issues that I have brought up usually is "you just need to be nicer to me and things will get better" or "just take care of me".

I do love her, but do fear that she may have more things going on inside her head then I can deal with or help her with and it is really stressing me and affecting my personal well being at times. There are times I feel I have become a more angry and less optimistic person then I once was and it has affected my life at work, with friends and with my family. Again, I can't blame her as I should not have let it get this way.

I know things have to change before moving forward. Its just never easy to talk to someone about how you feel when I know she is going to cry for days and tell me how sad I make her and horrible our marriage is and then will be left feeling bad, comforting her and then my issues will get shoved aside instead of worked on as a couple. I know this has to stop because your right, I am feeling dead inside at times.

I will check out the website you recommended. Thanks again for your time and hopefully I won't have to post anymore issues.

Jun 24, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Yes I know writing in to this website can help me with advice, but isn't really going to fix anything.

I think being un-confrontational has really not helped me. I know its not good to compare relationships in the past, but I try to think back to one I had for 4 years and I don't understand how it went 4 years with maybe two or three fights, and they were for good reasons. In many ways I feel that I have almost lost touch with reality, and what has become the "norm" for me really isn't normal at all and that has left me kind of confused and not feeling like myself, or really knowing who I am at times. I know I told her this and she cried and focused on it being such a horrible thing and didn't stop to actually talk about why I fell this way and what WE can do to alleviate the problem. Her answer to issues that I have brought up usually is "you just need to be nicer to me and things will get better" or "just take care of me".

I do love her, but do fear that she may have more things going on inside her head then I can deal with or help her with and it is really stressing me and affecting my personal well being at times. There are times I feel I have become a more angry and less optimistic person then I once was and it has affected my life at work, with friends and with my family. Again, I can't blame her as I should not have let it get this way.

I know things have to change before moving forward. Its just never easy to talk to someone about how you feel when I know she is going to cry for days and tell me how sad I make her and horrible our marriage is and then will be left feeling bad, comforting her and then my issues will get shoved aside instead of worked on as a couple. I know this has to stop becasue your right, I am feeling dead inside at times.

I will check out the website you recommended. Thanks again for your time and hopefully I won't have to post anymore issues.

I feel you are okay to post your marital issues, as someone may be going through the same thing and may stumble upon the information some of us took time to respond to. You are not the first person going through this and I guarantee you won't be the last.
    But I asked you prior did you try to seek some sort of counseling? My next question is although you are writing on this website to get feedback the next question is do you want to remain in this marriage?

Yes you say you love her, but you need to love yourself more and to know when enough is enough. If she doesn't want to seek marriage counseling and try working at this marriage then my friend it will not work with just one person willing to try. It's a marriage a partnership there has to be balance and this marriage clearly lacks discipline, standards, and tolerance. So start making decisions this is your life too you can either be happy in it or miserable its your chose, choose wisely.

Your doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Both of you fight an average of once every two weeks. The fight goes on, unresolved, for sometimes 2 days.

Why is that.

When things are not resolved when they happen, resentment, retaliation, loss of respect, and distance replaces resolving conflicts. These conflicts just fester, and by the time the next one comes around, it's a bigger, more aggressive, and hurtful. Keep adding to the pile of unresolved conflict and bad feelings, each argument is worse than the last, until you are left wondering why you stay at all.

Picking fights is also an excuse to cover up bad behaviour (ie skinny dipping with strange men). Deflect the cause of the behaviour back to the one not doing anything wrong; make them think they have caused this.

Often times this is getting to the stage where you might be considering marriage counselling, and it is a shame that it has taken so long. There is much more to fix in a marriage which has not confict resolution skills in place, and often it is just too late.

Whether she is 'off' because of shift work (having done that for years that can make a person crazy), or she has unresolved 'issues', or you have poor communication skills, or whatever the excuses are, both of you are adults, and you are both behaving badly. No excuses.

Before these fights get any worse, get out the phone book, and get yourself into counselling. If she won't go, you go. There are many things that you can learn to deal effectively with your anger toward her, and her anger toward you. Once learning that, if she is unwilling to change or get help for herself to repair her marriage, then you have some serious thinking to do.

Until you decide to do something, things are only going to keep getting worse.

Jun 24, 2009, 07:42 AM
    To answer your questions. I have suggested marriage counselling before but her answer to that was again to "be nicer to her" and to "make her happy" and that it would be a waste of money.

As for if I want to stay in the marriage, I truly don't know the answer to that. Somedays yes, and others days I admit I think about where I would likely be if I wasn't married, and if I would be happier there. People say the first year or two of marriage is tough, so sometimes I just tell myself that everyone goes through this and that its normal. Problem is again, I'm not sure what normal is anymore and if those people are having issues about normal things, not petty things like not estimating how long it will take them to get to the mall correctly or when you get home from work everday at 6:45pm because you have to commute they get angry at you because of how late you get home and because they are bored and hungry. Anyway, I could likely go on all day with a list that would blow some peoples minds.

Jun 24, 2009, 07:55 AM
    To answer your questions. I have suggested marriage counselling before but her answer to that was again to "be nicer to her" and to "make her happy" and that it would be a waste of money.

As for if I want to stay in the marriage, I truly don't know the answer to that. Somedays yes, and others days I admit I think about where I would likely be if I wasn't married, and if I would be happier there. People say the first year or two of marriage is tough, so sometimes I just tell myself that everyone goes through this and that its normal. Problem is again, I'm not sure what normal is anymore and if those people are having issues about normal things, not petty things like not estimating how long it will take them to get to the mall correctly or when you get home from work everday at 6:45pm because you have to commute they get angry at you because of how late you get home and because they are bored and hungry. Anyway, I could likely go on all day with a list that would blow some peoples minds.

Marriage to me really depends on two things that are crucial and important, one consist of finding the right person and one being the right person.

If there are any doubts in the two then the marriage becomes stricten with bitterness.

In the end you can seek counseling yourself, and let her see that you are trying if she gets mad then that is no longer your problem. There shouldn't be anything wrong with someone whom is trying to improve themselves.

Like I said the communication is not there her just saying, "oh well be nicer to me" is not enough.

Tell her you want details, give examples she is really not giving you a fair chance to be "nicer" to her, when you feel as though you aren't doing anything wrong.
    It just doesn't make any sense. How can you try to fix something when you can't diagnose the cause.

In the end if the two of you can't come to common grounds and act like a married loving couple, instead of enemies to one another then there really is no hope for this marriage.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:12 AM
    The first year or so of marriage is tough, but it should never involve swimming naked with strangers, while you're drunk, after midnight, away from your spouse. Sounds like this relationship needs some major counseling. I'm sure it's a good thing that there hasn't been any children born into this environment. After everything has been tried to salvage a marriage, sometimes you have to say" this was a mistake". Good luck to all.

Jun 24, 2009, 01:25 PM
    After further researhing I really think she has Borderline Personality Disorder and also shows some signs of Narcassistic Personality Disorder. Everything I have read about them sounds so much ike what I go through that's its scary.

If this is the case (as I am not psychiatrist by any means) can anything be done? Or is Counselling the best bet?

Jun 24, 2009, 01:32 PM
    After further researhing I really think she has Borderline Personality Disorder and also shows some signs of Narcassistic Personality Disorder. Everything I have read about them sounds so much ike what I go through thats its scary.

If this is the case (as I am not psychiatrist by any means) can anything be done? Or is Counselling the best bet?
    First of all if she doesn't think she has a problem, she may just get more annoyed and more upset. In order to be diagnosed with anything she needs to admit to something being wrong and have to be willing to get help.

And maybe you just bring out that side in her the only way to know is to get help.
    How can you convince someone who think you are the problem that they may possibly be suffering from some psychological problems?
    vivia12 Posts: 143, Reputation: 15

Jun 24, 2009, 01:41 PM

Please get yourself out of this situation,abuse is abuse,you have to,gather the strength,best of Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband tries to kill wife, wife gets plastic surgery and comes back 4 revenge. [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find this movie title... its back in the 70s, 80's... I believe the name Eve is in the title... Its about a married elite couple who gets married and the husband only marries her for money... he than tries to have her killed and he thinks she's dead... but she lives and ends up...

Hurt a friend with a guy she liked, and was hurt myself. [ 3 Answers ]

My friend thought a guy I had started talking to was really cute for a long time. But they didn't talk very much and only recently started talking when something stupid happened between me and that guy. He walked me back after a party and we were both really really drunk. Somehow we ended up...

Is She Purposely Teasing Me? [ 10 Answers ]

Ok you have probably read some of my other threads. To start with we texted each other a lot, then a few days after the second date, the number of text she sent dropped almost stopped. Which she said was because she was busy. I will sometimes text her, but have now started to leave it until to she...

Trying to restore my purposely deleted trash bin [ 8 Answers ]

I was using rocket docket and thought it would be cool to remove my trash bin icon from my desktop so the only icons were the rocket docket. Well my computer is somewhat older and didn't like the docket so I had to quit using it. Now I don't know how I removed my trash bin and don't know how to get...

I've hurt my wife by finding others attractive [ 7 Answers ]

I stumbled across this site by googling a question my wife asked me: "Do you think that you could ever be loyal enough to think that my body is the best?" This led me to the "my husband had a crush" post and now this: My wife and I have been married for 7 years. I love her very much and find her...

View more questions Search