Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    panamadh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Energy conservation
    Has any one heard of the PF Optimizer?
    It is suppose to be an energy management system that allows to recoup 90% of wasted energy.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 08:54 AM

PF is the "Power Factor". It's the ratio of actual power used to the apparent power.

Power factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Utilities charge extra to companies (usually companies) that have low power factors (less than 0.95). As a result, a lot of big companies put in huge banks of capacitors and circuitry to compensate for the low power factor and to bring it up to 1.0. PF Optmiizer is a small one of these.

Most power usage in homes is resistive in nature, and the power factor is usually pretty close to 1.0. Also, the power company typically does typically measure the power fractor for homeowners, and they don't charge extra for low power factors. Hence, this unit is not economically useful for homeowners.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 09:19 AM

Just to add to perito's post. Motor loads change the power factor considerably. Motors exist in the AC, Heater, washer, dryer and dishwasher typically in the home.

Not sure if the meters measure power considering the power factor. They definitely can be designed to do so.

If they didn't and just used the product of voltage and current, your electric bill would be less since power = P(t)*V(t)*Cos(theta) if the current and voltage are periodic. Cos(theta) is the power factor and with totally resistive loads, this value is 1. It cannot be more than 1.

Thus, I suppose that the utility does compute using the power factor, but does not introduce any penalties for residential customers, so PF compensation can result in lesser charges for electricity for commercial customers, it seems like it won't for residential ones.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 12:45 PM
    See PF Optimizer their hokey explanation , and then this excellent complete mathematical explanation:

Practical power factor correction : POWER FACTOR

I told someone in a previous post these things are questionable.

My opinion. These are not new, been around since late 70's I can attest to, I installed something similar for a company I worked for. Used one on my panel for years. I got what I thought was reasonable bills for what I used, killer bills with AC on in Southern New England brutal summers. Problem is I have nothing to compare to.

Company closed due to owner moving on, product never sold.

My thought is if they are so good, Wal mart would be selling them lik hotcakes.

Sure motors have low Power Factor, I just don't think the amount and size of motors in a home are worth the trouble.

These usually cost $500.- $700.00 about. Notice you got to do an audit to get the cost for this product. Look around, there are other products out there.

If you got that kind of money, go for it. Even if it saves nickles and dimes your up.

Never thought of it, I have access to power quality recorders, if I get the chance I should measure all the values, to get a better idea of real data.

Maybe they will give me a test unit for review? Hmm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conservation of energy [ 5 Answers ]

Ok I'm not entirely sure that I've got this question right so I would appreciate any help, so here it goes the question asks 'what energy transformations takes place on a high striker (a fairground activity in which a person hits a lever with a heavy hammer; the lever propels a mass up a vertical...

Physics (Conservation of Energy) [ 1 Answers ]

A 100g arrow is pulled back 75cm with an average force of 290N, aimed upwards, and released. Use the law of conservation of energy to solve these problems. a) Neglecting air resistance, how high should the arrow go? b) If the arrow went up 149m, how much work was done against air resistance?...

Conservation of Energy [ 2 Answers ]

Gayle runs at a speed of 3.50 m/s and dives on a sled, initially at rest on the top of a frictionless snow covered hill. After she has descended a vertical distance of 5.00 m, her brother, who is initially at rest, hops on her back and together they continue down the hill. What is their speed at...

Conservation of Energy With a Swing [ 1 Answers ]

a. 0 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 0 1/2mv^2 = mgh v=sqrt(2gh) = 3.43 m/s b. I'm not sure how to do this, so I had to hazard a guess: KE top + PE top = KE bottom + PE bottom + Work of friction => 0 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 0 + Wf => mgh - 1/2mv^2 = Wf

Is there no energy conservation [ 2 Answers ]

When we look at a particle's rest frame its energy is Mc^2. But the particle decay has some width, so the products of the particle,generally, will have total energy different than Mc^2. How can it be, is there no energy conservation.

View more questions Search