Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love2laugh623 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 08:33 AM
    What do I do with the white wire when converting a 4-prong dryer cord to a 3-prong?
    I moved into an older house and have a brand new Maytag Bravos dryer. I took the 4 prong cord off and there is a white wire that was installed under the middle prong of the 4 prong cord. The white wire is part of the dryer... it comes from a bunch of wires inside the dryer. I am now putting a 3 prong cord and all of the directions say you need a "grounding strap" which I don't have. I do however have an "extra" white wire. Where do I connect this? Where it was connected before in the middle post? To the green grounding screw?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 23, 2009, 11:46 AM

With a 4-prong outlet (as required by modern electrical code), there are separate connections for neutral (white) and ground (green). In older configurations with 3 prongs, the neutral and ground are tied together. So you'll simply hook the white wire and the green ground wire to the same terminal on the 3-prong plug.

Ultimately the safer alternative is to replace the 3-prong outlet with a 4-prong, but that would likely involve not only replacing the outlet, but also replacing the wire in the wall (from the 8/2 wire that's probably there now with 8/3 wire).
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 04:04 AM

I agree with above to change outlet to 4 prong, Receptacle is cheaper that the 3 wire cord, and easier to change out.
    If not going to 4 prong,
    The center needs a strap between the center white(s) and the case Ground screw. I would use #10 to be safe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-prong generator & 4-prong power cord [ 11 Answers ]

My 5kw Coleman Powermate generator has two 110v receptacles and two 220v receptacles. Both of the 220v receptacles are the 3-prong blade type. My six circuit Reliance ProTran transfer switch has the 4 prong female twist lock. Both ends of my 30amp 4-wire cord are twist lock. The end for the...

Changing 3 prong dryer cord to 4 prong [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved to a house that has a 4 prong dryer receptacle and my dryer has a 3 prong cord. I bought a 4 prong cord but don't know the order to wire up the new cord. Witch two cords go together? Thanks

Replacing 2-prong receptacle with 3-Prong -NO GROUND WIRE [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there! I was wondering if someone can tell me how exactly I go about doing this safely. I have an existing 2 prong ungrounded plug... theres no ground to this receptacle... old metal box does not seem to be grounded either. I would like to replace this receptacle with a 3 prong GFCI...

How do I adapt a 3 prong cord to a 2 prong? [ 2 Answers ]

What can I use to reduce a new 3 prong extension cord to the 2 prong cord on Christmas lights? I know they must make something for this problem!:confused:

3 prong to 4 prong dryer cord [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to know when converting to a 4 prong dryer cord , what do you do with the green ground wire that is already connected to the frame. Do I replace it with the green ground wire that's on the cord or do I leave it alone, and place the green wire from the cord on another screw.

View more questions Search