Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Jun 23, 2009, 06:06 AM
    Red Raspberry Leaf Tea.
    I am 35 1/2 weeks pregnant. My doctor told me at 36 weeks to begin drinking red raspberry leaf tea to help things along. How does it work? Will it induce labor? I have read conflicting things about it and want to know about anyone else's experiences.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 06:27 AM
    Red raspberry leaf tea is a uterine tonic.

Here is a quote

Evening Primrose Oil and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

Neither will actually induce labor. While some lay midwives will argue that statement about the Evening Primrose, which is the reason it is not recommended until 36 weeks or "full term", almost all sources with experience agree that it does nothing that the body was not ready to do on its own. I will repeat this at the end of this section, to make sure you understand this, as there is a lot of confusion and misconception surrounding these two substances.
    Found here...

Natural Labor Induction Methods

As a L&D nurse myself, I recommend just waiting to let nature take it's course.

it is not recommended until 36 weeks or "full term",
    Full term is 38 weeks, minimum, not 36.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 06:31 AM
    In addition... Same source

Red raspberry leaf tea is a uterine tonic used by Native Americans for thousands of years. It tones your uterus by helping to "focus" your Braxton Hicks contractions. Think of its job as helping your uterus do more effective exercising while you are pregnant. It does not "cause" contractions and can be safely used throughout pregnancy. It is contraindicated for those having complications "just in case", however, by most doctors who do not understand its use. Many women safely use it from the moment they learn they are pregnant at six weeks until months after delivery. (It helps to tone the uterus after delivery as well, shrinking it back to size more quickly and reducing bleeding.)

Again, neither of these actually causes labor to start!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raspberry ice tea? [ 9 Answers ]

I love applebee's raspberry ice tea On the menue it says its lipron brisk sweetened raspberry I tried the non brisk just lipton raspberry iced tea mix and its not the same If anyone knows weather they add something more to this drink or where I can purchase the lipton BRISK version. Thank you

Lipton Brisk raspberry Ice Tea. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi.. I'm catsmew & I trying to find out where in Fl. They still receive Lipton Brisk Raspberry Ice Tea. My mother is 76 & it is the only thing she will drink & Pepsi has stopped delivering it down here. I have tried different ones includeing sun tea & "it's ok but not the same." Please...

My dog has a red raspberry next to his man jewels [ 3 Answers ]

There is no pump, just a red circle, we just got him check at the vet prior to this appearing and he was healthy and we got him on worm meds because we are moving to germany. What could it be?

Lipton brisk raspberry tea [ 1 Answers ]

I live in ST. Louis, MO and there aren't many grocery stores that sell the lipton brisk raspberry tea. Is there a place where I can order it or can you give a store where I can purchase it in St. Louis

Now to make a Raspberry marinade? [ 3 Answers ]

WOuld anyone have any idea how to make a Raspberry marinade?

View more questions Search