Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 05:05 AM
    Sciences, trees
    14. A friend wants to plant a tree next to his two-story home. You suggest that he plants a/an
    A. Seedless Ash C. Hybrid Willow.
    B. White Birch. D. American Sycamore.

This is in forestry science... do at home course.. I read my text and I thought it was B the white but my answer is incorrect.. I thought it was B Because of the height of the tree, canopy and the fact that this is one of the most used trees on properties... But sadly I am wrong what are your opinions
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 05:15 AM
    I think it's "C", the hybrid willow. Willows help wick moisture away from building foundations.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 05:38 AM

JM... I thought that too.. but I decided to give the teacher a call too just a minute ago I got off the phone with her.. and come to find out the answer is D the american Sycamore because of the fact that it tops 60 to 80 feet high and not any bigger and that is the recommended height for a two story home.. Intresting huh.. though she did say that hybreds do better them most trees because they are more adapted to many different environmental changes
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 03:07 AM
    Oh well, It was one of those multiple ANSWER problems. I still wouldn't plant th sycamore next to MY house, mainly because of the lighting attraction. Huge leaves on your roof too. I'm a surveyor ( part time now,aircraft job) with a forestry background so I'm jealous of your job of playing in the Canadian woods. Enjoy every day!
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 04:34 AM

True it was though at the same time if you gave an answer other then the one they wanted you got it wrong... I wouldn't want a sycamore next to my house either.. I'd prefer the hybrid willow or the white birch... Wow.. sounds like you've got an intresting career.. it is fun roaming around in the canadian woods I love it to death. I just got accepted into Maritime College Of forest Technology (new brunswick Canada) starting this September... They accept only 55 new students a year, three of which were female last year. It's a 2 year course. And I am taking the advanced course so I will have a wildlife technology degree ontop of a forestry degree. After that I go to holland college (pei, canada) for 16 weeks to take law enforcement then I'll be a conservation officer.. I'm sooo excited and can't wait to go though at the same time this will be my first time in a school away from home so I'm a little nervous.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 05:15 AM
    Michelle, I'm sure you'll do just fine away from home. Enjoy yourself. Sounds like you're lucky to get into that program, so learn it all. What field are you shooting for? Whatever you choose, good luck in it. I recommend getting a good compass, like a Suunto, as you may have it for life like myself. Oh well, spray for ticks, and don't step in an old well looking at the canopy( happened to a friend/coworker of mine).Enjoy all the time you spend in the woods. Most people go to a 9-5 job in the same location, in the forestry business, you're job site constantly changes location. Keep us posted.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 11:46 AM

The school asks we buy either an Nexus 15 TDCL Elite or a Suunto MC-2D Navigator.. which one would you recommend. I see you said you have a Suunto. No worries there I always spray for ticks when I go out. There's been a huge population increase with them this year. We usually have NONE of them around our place but so far we`ve found 20 of them this year while out walking or at friends houses and our house (I`ve got a good eye for them and I always check my dog and my friends dogs for ticks.) I hope being away from home and my hubby goes good. I was in alberta last year for two months and it was not that bad but I`m not used to being gone for longer time spans than that. OO I hope your coworker was OK... I`ll be sure to keep one eye on the ground and one up in the canopy :D. I`ve done enough 9 to 5 jobs in my short life (I`m 22) to know that they are not the job for me... Lets see I worked at a private school, as a bartender, fast food restaurant, high end restaurant, and as a cleaner - maitenance woman ( I think I spelt that wrong) for a 7 building apartment complex. I will totally keep you posted.. I don't think I could stay away from this forum :D
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Michelle, I have always thought the Suunto was the best. As far as ticks, we have what we call seed ticks down here, they're TINY, and they hang in clumps of thousands waiting for a host to walk by. Yes, my friend was OK, but a farmer had thrown a old barbed wire fence, with posts down the well. That's probably what saved his life, he got caught up in the wire about 25 feet down, head first. It was a mess to get him out , he was scratched from head to toe. Good luck on the studies, and yes I'm hooked on this site too.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 05:50 PM

How can your teacher say any answer here is wrong? The question clearly asks what you would suggest. And there are reasons someone might want any one of those trees planted next to their house.

I hope this was not something that was graded...
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 08:33 AM

JM. Wow we don't have that kind of ticks around here. Ouch barbed wire now that would not be fun to untangle yourself from. We had a horse once that got loose where it was kept at and it got tangled in barbed wire.. 5 hours later and lots of blood :( we got it loose. But she did loose almost half the side of her face because she freaked
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 10:48 AM

Keeping everyone up to date. :D I GOT MY STUDENT LOAN...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Validity of the Bible and sciences [ 10 Answers ]

The discussion on the thread 'Can science and religion co-exist?' has gone out of the subject matter and was mainly on the validity of the Bible and Christianity. The discussion will now be held here. Everyone is invited to share... U may read the previous posts on the thread I mentioned above..

Math& sciences [ 1 Answers ]

circle the fraction with the highest value 3/10 3/12 3/8

Math and sciences [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find 2 prime numbers that if multiplied will give me 400

Sciences [ 2 Answers ]

Why is sodium hydroxide NOT suitable for curing an upset stomach

View more questions Search