Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hankins55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 05:55 PM
    What is the right mortar mix?
    What is the correct mortar mix to use for a pre-slope portion of a custom tile shower floor?
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jun 24, 2009, 07:49 AM
    The preslope and setting bed are the same for the most part. You want to have 1 part portland to about 4-5 parts sand. I prefer a richer mix and like it more on the 4 parts sand. If you purchase bags of sand topping mix and bags of sand, the sand mix is 3 parts sand to 1 part portland. 4 shovels of sand mix to 1 shovel of sand will give you the 4-1 ratio. It gets mixed with only enough water to make it a packable consistency, like if you were making sand castles.

Now here is the exception to the rule... If the drain collar is set flush with the subfloor, then you will have a very thin layer of sandmix near the drain for the preslope. IF that's the case, you will mix your preslope with latex instead of water. The stickiness of the latex makes it trickier to shape. If the base of the drain where the screws go into the base are resting on the subfloor like feet holding it up from the subfloor, then you can use just water. For your setting bed, only use water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foundation mortar [ 1 Answers ]

What type of mortar should be used with concrete blocks for a one story house?

Mortar mix [ 1 Answers ]

How much sand and how much cement for mortar mix for brick work?

Using Fireplace Mortar [ 1 Answers ]

There are several thin cracks on the refractory panels inside my pre-fab fireplace, and the chimney sweep guy recommended fireplace mortar. I went on Rutland company's website, and their fireplace mortar is for patching fireplace fireboxes and firebricks, for cracks 1/8" or less, and once cured,...

Mortar Mix [ 2 Answers ]

I am Installing a Stacked Stone Wall Inside my Home (Living Room Wall),The stone is a Cultured Stone Product from Owens Corning. It calls for Type N Mortar to be used. I don't want to have to mix all of this by hand, I Live in a Town Home, Can I use a different type of Mortar Mix or is there a...

Mortar removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen and bathroom and want to remove it. I have all the tile removed but the is a thick layer of mortar on the cement. Can someone give me and idea on how to remove this? Is there a chemical that will soften the mortar and not hurt the cement under neath.

View more questions Search