Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nate231 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 08:33 AM
    My girlfriend wants time to herself after 3 years, What does this mean?
    Hello,

My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost 3 years now. We both we were under the conclusion that we were going to get married after we finished school. Now I am not a party type of person and neither is she. But out of left field she tells me that she wants a break to "find herself". I don't know what this means. She insist that she love me and wants to spend the rest of her life with me. She says that I don't have to wait for her but she feels that we are going to be together in the future (however long that is). I love this woman very much and I want to wait for her and give her her time but is this a mistake and am I just wasting my time? Also, I have given here a promise ring which is something like an engagement ring at the age of 22. So what do I do?
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 09:03 AM

Give her what she wants. Leave her alone and go do things for yourself.

Go out and do whatever you want. Reconnect with old friends.

Do not wait around for her.

But out of left field she tells me that she wants a break to "find herself".
    This was out of left field for you, not her. She has been thinking about this for a while. There are other reasons she is breaking-up with you besides "finding herself".

She insist that she love me and wants to spend the rest of her life with me. She says that I don't have to wait for her but she feels that we are going to be together in the future (however long that is).
    She is trying to break it to you easy by instilling hope that something will happen between you in the future. Don't fall for that. If she really wanted to spend the rest of her life with you, she would not be doing this.

She has told you what she will be doing when she says "you don't have to wait for her". She is going to be moving on and you should be doing the same. DO NOT WAIT FOR HER.

Time to let go and start healing. It's going to be immensely difficult for a while, but in a few weeks, you will get better.

Sorry man, we all go through this at one point or another. Be happy that you two shared all of that time together. 3 years is a long time, many people don't even last 3 months.

That "promise ring" really doesn't mean anything now. It may have meant something before her feelings for you changed, but now it's just another piece of jewelry she will wear. I gave my ex a ring too. She still wears it, on her left hand no less, AND she is dating someone else... it's meaningless bro!
    jmooney527 Posts: 200, Reputation: 83

Jun 22, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Yea this wasn't out of left field. Nobody randomly decides they want to "find themselves". There is another reason there, which she isn't telling you... nor one you should stick around to find the answer to. Do not sit there and wait. She broke things off and left you in the dust... you need to pick yourself back up and start healing. Assume she is not coming back, because the reality of it is she might not actually come back. So as hard as it's going to be, start No Contact. It's going to be difficult, especially after a 3 year relationship, but you'll slowly be able to rebuild your life without feeling the need to text or call your ex.

Concentrate on working on yourself now and stop worrying about her. I know you love her but accept the fact that she doesn't want to be together (doesn't matter the reason) and go from there. Best of luck... it's a difficult road but the rewards are much better in the end!
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Jun 22, 2009, 09:20 AM

I agree no one just randomly say they want a break. No one says I want to spend the rest of my life with you but wants a break! DO that make any sense? If they can't stick it with you while they find themselves how in the hell are they going to work with you through a marriage.
    She is being polite, and this is not a random out of the blue break up, this was thought out, and there could have been warning signs but you ignored it.
    I know it is going to be tough to deal with for some time, but take things one day at a time, and do things that make you happy.
    Good luck
    diezle21 Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Jun 22, 2009, 09:41 AM

Yeah there is probably another guy as much as that hurts, because that's exactly what my ex said and a week after we were broke up she was with another guy, she is being dishonest with you and that's definitely not a good sign. Trust me I went through a similar situation. Your setting yourself up for a terrible heart break.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 10:17 AM
    It makes sense why she did this. Since you said she's not the "party type of person", I assume this means she doesn't have much experience in the dating world. It's easier to tell whether someone is right for you by dating different people and learning from your experience, this is the whole purpose. She may just have felt unsure about you because you're all she's known. You can't measure what's good without knowing what's bad.

... and then there are those people who date everyone, just jump from one relationship to another, this obviously isn't healthy because these people only like the idea of a relationship--I recently found my ex-girlfriends old LiveJournal (remember those?) from six years ago, and one of her interests was "falling in love", I found out the hard way that she just wants a boyfriend, it doesn't matter who he is... what a waste of my time that was--not the person, so they get nothing out of it. It's as if they never dated anyone because they can't, but most likely refuse to learn.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 01:25 PM

She dumped you and is trying to be really nice about it, as was suggested above she may have already found someone else... or just wants to look for someone else with a clear conscience. It sucks but just move on...
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 01:54 PM

The whole space thing was just a nice way to break-up with you.

Seeing that the two of you are young she might want to get out there and explore without any attachments to anyone.

However, you told you right when she told you not to wait around for her.

Sadly, things don't always go according to what was planned and relationships comes with no guarantees. But the good thing is that life goes on with or without her.
    tryintolive69 Posts: 10, Reputation: -5

Jun 23, 2009, 09:47 AM

Listen this girl wants to go and have fun in the single sense,and you would be a fool to wait for her,you're only 22 years old. Go and have fun and if it's meant to be with you and this girl,then you and her will find your way back to each other. But that waiting thing forget about it
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 07:14 PM

She told you nicely she is out of here and its up to you to regroup, heal, and put your life together without her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend of 5 Years Wants to see what else is out there? [ 47 Answers ]

Hey everyone, this is my situation. I am 23 and my girlfriend is 21. We are high-school sweethearts and have been through a lot together. We fell in love after about 6 months together. We are out first EVERYTHING, including the relationship. The way she came into my life was amazing. It was true...

My girlfriend of 3 years left me cause she wanted alone time? [ 13 Answers ]

Hey I just recently broke up with my girl friend of 3 years. It allstarted about 3 weeks ago when we had our last katty argument that never should have happened I love the girll so sooo much an would do anything for her but she said she wanted alone time... I had been living in australia for a...

Known my girlfriend for 13 years [ 10 Answers ]

I've known my girlfriend for 13 years we used to be very good friends since we were children and we've always seemed to get together every summer when we were younger.but for like a 2 years I lost total contact of her then just recently I meet back with her and she had a baby but for some strange...

Girlfriend wants to be alone after five years. [ 22 Answers ]

Me and my Ex have been going out for almost five years now. This past weekend she told me she wants to leave because she doesn't want to hurt me anymore, when I asked why all she could tell me is that she wanted to be alone and she was confused that was the best answer that she could give me. ...

Girlfriend of five years [ 15 Answers ]

I've been with my girlfriend for five years now and it has moved slowly. She has always been a good girl which is fine by me but I can't understand why after five years she still has a curfew with me and we're limited to just a few things we can do. Her parents make sure they know exactly where we...

View more questions Search