Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trebonus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Spacing of Recess Light
    I am installing recess lights in my living room (20' x 17'). The old ceiling has been demolished, so the installation is relatively easy. My question is: How far apart should I space the lights to have adequate general purpose lighting in the room?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Generally speaking, the spacing is done as a ratio to the ceiling height, anywhere from .75:1 to 1:1, but this depends on the actual lamp, and the light output and beam spread of the lamp, and the photometrics, (How a fixture distributes light), of the fixture, along with the reflectance of the wall, floor and ceiling surfaces

So, if you are using a 65R30 flood lamp, and ceiling height is 8 foot, a reasonable layout would be 6 foot spacing.

If the lamp is larger than 65 watt or equal output, then 8 foot spacing would work.

This is a brief example. Lighting layout is, or can be, complicated to understand, and even worse to explain.

Here is some reading you can review:
    http://www.lightingfacts.com/Recesse...20spacing.html
    http://www.forteelectric.com/Howtolayoutcans.html

There is a great deal of information available that explains further the variables involved with lighting, that I just cannot fit here.

If this helps, great, if not get back and we can continue.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 12:07 PM
    With the ever increasing price of electricity, look at other than the conventional incandescent lights. Some of the metal halide lights produce an attractive white light using much less electricity that even fluorescents. Look for fixtures that spread the light out so you don't alternating bright and dim spots. They are much more expensive to instal, but save money over the long run. The bulbs last almost forever. You may need to get into a lighting specialty store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

Bathroom fan/light: light works, fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I'm back with more "finishing basement" questions. This weekend, I wired my bathroom. This is 20 amp service with 12 ga wire. For the bath fan/light, the power source came into the switch box (1 box, 2 switches) on a 12/2 wire. From there, power goes up to the light/fan on a 12/3 wire. Red goes...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

Recessed Lights Spacing & other questions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm installing recessed lights in my basements finishing job, and I bought a bunch of cans at home depot. 12 to start with, but I'm sure I'll need more. My question is about the spacing for these recessed lights. I found a website that said I should space the lights between 6-8 feet apart for...

View more questions Search