Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rongo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 12:23 AM
    Drooling pitbull, who's not gaining weight.
    Can anyone tell me why my pitbull is drooling and he doesn't seem to be gaining any weight, I've wormed him and feed him at least twice a day, just lately I've been feeding him more and still nothing... :rolleyes::confused::(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 03:03 AM

First question I ask anyone that has a skinny dog is worming but you have done that...

What food are you feeding him?
    Some foods are of very low quality and contain a lot of fillers which do not make the dog put on any weight no matter how much you feed.

Has he been checked out by a vet to rule out medical problems?

If there is nothing medically wrong try feeding something like a little lamb flap in with his regular food.
    Lamb flap is a fairly fatty meat so it cannot be given in large amounts but a diced up amount about the size of half a fist mixed with his food would be good.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 04:44 AM
    A high fat diet can give a dog pancretitis. A dog will gain weight on any food if it eats enough of it. For some sound advice on weight problems of dogs, see my sticky at the top of the page.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    A high fat diet can give a dog pancretitis. A dog will gain weight on any food if it eats enough of it. For some sound advice on weight problems of dogs, see my sticky at the top of the page.
    I never said a high fat diet.

Please re-read my answer before you go giving out reddies.

Jun 22, 2009, 07:56 PM

Yes he's been seen by a vet and he was quite happy with his development, he's due for another checkup in 2 weeks.

We've just been giving him dog roll from our local super market, biscuits and any left overs we have, we've never tried lamb flaps... so I'll give it a go tonight... Thanks heaps.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
    Yes he's been seen by a vet and he was quite happy with his development, he's due for another checkup in 2 weeks.

We've just been giving him dog roll from our local super market, biscuits and any left overs we have, we've never tried lamb flaps...so I'll give it a go tonite...Thanks heaps.
    Just a very small amount to begin with or he will get diarreah.

I feed dog roll and kibble to and mine are always in pretty good shape.
    Some dogs need a little help putting on the initial weight and after that they seem to maintain it.

Jun 23, 2009, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Just a very small amount to begin with or he will get diarreah.

I feed dog roll and kibble to and mine are always in pretty good shape.
    Some dogs need a little help putting on the initial weight and after that they seem to maintain it.
    :D Thanks a lot for your help shazmataz, looking forward to the outcome and I promise not to overdo it.;)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    First question I ask anyone that has a skinny dog is worming but you have done that...

What food are you feeding him?
    Some foods are of very low quality and contain a lot of fillers which do not make the dog put on any weight no matter how much you feed.

Has he been checked out by a vet to rule out medical problems?

If there is nothing medically wrong try feeding something like a little lamb flap in with his regular food.
    Lamb flap is a fairly fatty meat so it cannot be given in large amounts but a diced up amount about the size of half a fist mixed with his food would be good.
    Have to spread the rep.
    Actually LAMB is LEAN fat as opposed to the high cholestrol fat.
    We and pets need good fats. There is a difference between bad fats and good fats.
    Lamb may be on the border but it is not fat like a greasy hamburger.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2009, 08:03 AM

As I said above thank you for the info.
    My mother has been doing it for dogs that need a bit more condition for 20 years and we have never had a problem with it.

She advised me to do it recently with one of my poodles that needed a little extra weight, she just didn't mention the good and bad fats.

If there is a question on this site I am unsure of I usually call her and ask her opinion. :o
    She started an AMHD account but does not have time to come on here. (I think she has answered one question)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pitbull puppy weight [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find a weight chart for a pitbull pup?

My pitbull pup needs to gain weight how? [ 6 Answers ]

My pit bull puppy is about 8 months old now and hasn't gained weight in the last month an d and 1/2 I am very concerned cause she should be pretty stacked being a pit but she is petite which is fine my concern is that I can see her back bone and ribs... don't get me wrong I love my dog and I feed...

Pitbull won't gain weight! Ribs show! [ 14 Answers ]

I have 2 pitbulls, a male (Tyson- almost 2 years old) & a female (Sasha- about 2 1/2 yrs old)... The female brindle is a very healthy weight! Actually, my dogs bred & had 11 puppies their first litter & all the puppies lived w/ no complications (and the male was under a year old)!! But the problem...

How to help a pitbull gain weight back? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pitbull which was left in the back yard of an abandon house, how do I help it gain it's weight back to it's initial size? Her ribs are showing and everything, she's a banter pitbull. Could someone quickly reply?:confused:

View more questions Search