Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lobsterking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Cast Iron Lead sealed plumbing
    I have an older home that has a vented stand cast iron plumbing (4-6" diameter), and the joints are sealed with lead. I need to rotate one tee joint (runnuig vertically). Do I have to heat the lead to a molten state to allow rotation? I have never worked with lead sealed pipe and while this seems logical, I just want to check with someone who has the experience. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobsterking
    I have an older home that has a vented stand cast iron plumbing (4-6" diameter), and the joints are sealed with lead. I need to rotate one tee joint (runnuig vertically). Do I have to heat the lead to a molten state to allow rotation? I have never worked with lead sealed pipe and while this seems logical, I just want to check with someone who has the experience. Thanks.
    " Do I have to heat the lead to a molten state to allow rotation?"
    No, although that would do it. When I am faced with this problem I get a purchase or leverage to where I can start to rotate it back and forth to loosen the lead seals. Just rock the tee back and forth and it will go a little farther each time. When it reaches the desired position you will have to recaulk the lead joints. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

Removing cast iron / lead joints [ 4 Answers ]

Hi; I have a vertical 2 inch cast iron vent pipe that I need to remove to install a medicine cabinet. I have cut it in one spot with a sawzall, but there is also a joint in it where I would like to separate it. The joint appears to be poured with lead. If I heat it with a propane torch to get it...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

Rotating Cast Iron Plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

1956 vintage house with cast iron plumbing has the washer pump out line through a typical P trap into a threaded connection on a 2 inch by 1.5 inch CI tee in a vertical run (up to a vent to roof, down into the slab and sewer system). Unfortunately, the tee branch points out into the laundry room...

View more questions Search