Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katenickkris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 09:06 PM
    8 week old puppy has fleas and I just got it tonight
    I just got a new puppy this evening and my kids called me at work to tell me that it had fleas, the dog was not in the house for more than an hour I told them to get it in it kennel and put it in the garage. I don't want to harm the puppy but my kids are devested that the dog can't come in. The puppy is 8 weeks old and all the products at wal-mart said not to use if they were under 12 weeks accept for 1 but it was the same brand as the rest. It is Hartz ultra guard spray. What can I do? And do you think they are now in my home, I have 2 kittens also.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 20, 2009, 09:36 PM

Please do not use any the Hartz brands or any grocery store brand They use poisons in their ingredients. You need to get something from your vet. Products such as Revolution, Frontline, Advantage are all good preventaive monthly meds you can get from the vet.

In the meantime - for a young pup, try Dawn dishwashing detergent and bath him. You might find some fleas will move to the head - you can pick those off by hand. The others should drown. :)
    Dry you pup well when you are done. That way the poor baby won't have to sleep in the garage.
    Have fun with your new pup.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2009, 06:59 AM

I agree with teachnk do not use Hartz.

Advantage and frontline make products for young puppies and they are very effective. You can get them at good pet stores at at your vets.

You will need to treat your house as well. I know it was only an hour but it would still be better to treat now in case one or two made it into the carpet and start breeding.
    Just a flea bomb will do the trick.

Lastly, call the breeder and tell them that you would like to be re-embersed for a flea treatment. Puppies should definitely not be sold with fleas!
    I would also ask her if she has wormed the pup and given it any vaccinations!
    raychi Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teachnk View Post
    Please do not use any the Hartz brands or any grocery store brand They use poisons in their ingredients. You need to get something from your vet. Products such as Revolution, Frontline, Advantage are all good preventaive monthly meds you can get from the vet.

In the meantime - for a young pup, try Dawn dishwashing detergent and bath him. You might find some fleas will move to the head - you can pick those off by hand. The others should drown. :)
    Dry you pup well when you are done. That way the poor baby won't have to sleep in the garage.
    Have fun with your new pup.

Great advice
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 11:10 AM
    There are so many misconceptions here I hardly know where to start.

1. Dawn dishwashing liquid detergent is very harsh for an 8 week old pup's skin. Milder detergents such as Palmolive or better yet Ivory don't strip as much of the oil from the coat and still drown the fleas. A chill can kill puppies that young, dry them thouroughly!

2. Frontline and Advantix are good products but they contain insecticides just as Hartz or Adams or flea products from the vet do. All of these products are highly regulated and tested for safety long before they are available to the public. Some are so safe they don't even kill the fleas.

3. A flea bomb will not be enough inside the house, if the fleas have laid eggs. They leave the host to do just that. You won't find any adult fleas for at least 2 weeks unless they survive the bath. Vacuuming all the carpeted areas daily will do a better job, particularly if you use some of the flea dust products. That will also prevent fleas from surviving inside the vacuum cleaner.

4. Shaz did have a good idea about getting reimbursed for the vet treatment, as well as the vaccinations any ethical breeder should provide.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:03 AM
    I have tried to track down where that Dawn nonsense started, but never could. At 8 weeks, your vet has several products that are safe. Talk it over and choose the best one. Catsmine is right, you need to treat the house with something that kills flea eggs. Perhaps the car and garage too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to treat 6 week old puppy for fleas [ 2 Answers ]

I've just got a new puppy, whitch is only 6 week old. Its covered with fleas, and I'm not sure on how to treat it safely. Any ideas please.

11 week lab puppy with fleas, already tried Advocate [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 11 week lab puppy with fleas. We took him to the vet last week and he gave us Advocate to use on the puppy. We have done this, however he is still scratching. Is it safe for me to use it on him again? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

My 6 week old puppy has fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Help, my newly adopted puppy has fleas at 6 weeks old

Fleas and 7 week old pup [ 1 Answers ]

Just adpoted a 7wk old puppy and she is infested with fleas and ticks what can I use

6 Week Old Puppy has Fleas! [ 8 Answers ]

Are 2 older dogs had fleas, so got 2 flea collars for them. Now are puppy is getting fleas and she is only 6 weeks old, what's the best treatment for a puppy so young? Also what's best for the older dogs?

View more questions Search