Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marko_99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Clarification need regarding LPR status.
    Hello,

I am currently on F-1 visa here in the US. In the summer I will be moving to Canada to begin an application for permanent residency.

I am engaged to a US LPR who has gained this status as a refugee. She has been in the US for 3 years. She is not a citizen of any country (hence refugee status).

My three questions are;

1)if we get married before I move to Canada and begin my paperwork, in which case we will be applying as a couple, will her US Green Card be revoked?

2) if yes, what would you suggest?

3) if no, are there special situations that we should be aware of that may potentially harm her situation in the US (i.e. living abroad)?

Thank you so much,
    Marko
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 01:13 PM

I hate to answer your questions with questions but I need more detail:

Is your fiancé a green card holder in the US (I am assuming this is what you meant by LPR in the US?

Second, under what category are you applying for permanent residence in Canada?

Does your fiancée intend to join you in Canada, in what country do you both want to live permanently?
    Marko_99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva View Post
    I hate to answer your questions with questions but I need more detail:

Is your fiance a green card holder in the US (I am assuming this is what you meant by LPR in the US?

Second, under what category are you applying for permanent residence in Canada?

Does your fiancee intend to join you in Canada, in what country do you both want to live permanently?
    1) Yes, my fiancé is a US green card holder.

2) Under skilled worker immigration.

3) We do not want to loose her US green card so she can become a US citizen (in about 3.5 yrs), which will help me also become a US permanent resident at later date. I will for sure be a permanent resident of Canda for at least the time it will take to become a Canadian citizen.

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need clarification [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please help me. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for a year and this month I started spotting and getting brown discharge a week before my period starts. My period is irregular but it never came early and definitely never light. I took a test and it was negative. Is it too...

Clarification on "Criteria for Dual-Status Filing" Sticky [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The "Criteria for Dual-Status Filing" sticky says that My situation is that I worked under a TN-1 visa from January to end of August, 2007 (so 240 days or so, meeting the SPT), then went back home for the remainder of the year. So I thought that I should be dual-status per Pub. 519 -...

Clarification Before I Buy [ 2 Answers ]

OK.. Just getting some last minute advice before I run out and spend money lol. I am running a line out to a detached building. It will be coming out of a 200 amp service into a 60 amp breaker sub panel. I will use 6-3 w/gnd (Underground w/ conduit) to do this as well as #6 to run from the ground...

Tax clarification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any...

Non-Resident Status 2006 Clarification [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was going through some of the questions that were answered using the same topic, but was not sure if I got the answer which would help me out, so here goes.. I'm an Indian, single, working in India, who landed in the U.S. for the first time on July 8th 2006, on an L1 Visa, which was...

View more questions Search