Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetthing0187 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Can't get puppy to gain weight
    I just got a full blooded pit bull puppy about 3 weeks ago. The person I got her from only fed her bread and sometimes nothing at all. Her rib cage is showing really bad. I do not know what to do. I've been feeding her nothing but dog food since I've had her. I feed her 2 times a day and she still has ribs showing. It looks like it got worse. What can I do to get her ribs to stop showing and get weight on her body??
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 07:41 PM

Take her to the vet and get her dewormed.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:10 AM
    Yes let the vet examine her and do what is needed. Unless she is over 3 months, she should be eating 3 times a day, and many would say longer. Don't rush fattening her up, but you do want to see progress. Read the section on feeding in my sticky.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:15 AM

I thought there was no such thing as pure bred pit bull. As it is a mix. Do to mixed make a pure?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy View Post
    I thought there was no such thing as pure bred pit bull. as it is a mix. Do to mixed make a pure?
    The American Pitbull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier count as 'pitbulls', as do Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Those three breeds are purebred and can be registered (depending on the registry, Staffy Bulls are their own breed, but some registries will dual register AmStaffs and APBTs.)
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 05:55 AM

The only mix breed I know of that is a breed in its own but contains APB's is the Valley Bull (which is a recognised breed though maybe not by what I call it that was created in my provence)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy weight gain [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there, I just recently adopted a Pit Bull mix from a local shelter. Due to her coming in as a stray, she is very thin and I was wondering if there were any ways to help her gain so she can be back to a healthy weight. Please let me know if there's anything I can do in addition from just feeding...

Weight gain [ 1 Answers ]

I am 34 years old I have 2 kids and weigh 117lbs. What can I do to gain weight?

Weight gain [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is very small she is 28 lbs and she is 6 months old I have a pitbull I wanted to know what could I feed her so that she could gain weight or is there any weight gain supplements that she could take her ribs are visible she looks sick her doctor said just keep food her her bowl but no...

Puppy Needs To Gain Weight [ 4 Answers ]

Hello All, I have a 9 month olde english bulldogge and he's a little to skinny. When we first got him from the breeder he had a parasite that we immediately medicated him for and he has been parasite and worm free for almost 2 months now. The vet said he is perfectly healthy but can afford to...

Puppy Weight Gain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My younger sister recently adopted a maltese puppy from the local dog pound, and then decided she didn't want him. I've taken him in but he doesn't feel very healthy. By that I mean he's very thin and a bit ribby, so I'd like him to gain a little weight. What are some good foods to give...

View more questions Search