Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynv8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
    True diamond
    How can I determine a true diamond? Can it be determined by its brightness with hit by a ray of light?
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 11, 2006, 10:02 PM
    You need a diamond tester. Beware of moisanite. It tests positive with a diamond tester. Get a moisanite tester also.
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lynv8
    How can I determine a true diamond? Can it be determined by its brightness with hit by a ray of light?
    No. Diamonds, like all other gems, have characteristics like their hardness, luster, specific gravity (basically density) and refractive index. The old test of using a diamond to "cut a diamond" - the theory being that if a known diamond can cut or scratch the surface of an unknown stone, the unknown stone can't be a diamond - only resulted in a bunch of stones with scratches on them and angry people who thought they might have had a diamond.

The easiest way to tell is with a diamond tester, most often using thermal conductivity - which is in addition to the characteristics I first mentioned. The thermal conductivity tester CAN be fooled by such things as man-made real diamonds, treated diamonds (glass filling, lasers used to burn out inclusions, etc.) and moissanite.

The only sure way is to take it to a reputable gemologist who has the experience, equipment and training to tell the difference. As The WB correctly pointed out, a gemologist (or sometimes a knowledgeable jeweler) uses a combination of tests to rule out simulants. It took me years of study and practice to become a certified gemologist.

Hope this helps.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 03:11 AM
    Diamond may often be mistaken for Cubic Zirconia (CZ).

True Diamonds always reflect light whereas CZ reflect different colors.

Its difficult to differentiate the two for a naked eye.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dropped Diamond earring down the drain! [ 13 Answers ]

PLease help! I just dropped my earring down the drain. The water wasn't running, it just dropped. Can I assume it's possibly still sitting in the pipe? My husband isn't answering his office phone and I am frantic. Please help me!

Song from Hearts On Fire diamond ad [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the artist and name of the song that is played on the Hearts Of Fire Diamond ad on TV. The name of the ad is 'Steering Wheel' and it shows a woman pulling in and out of a parking space with a silver Audi. She's watching her diamond sparkle as she turns the wheel. The song is...

Diamond dogfood recall WARNING! [ 4 Answers ]

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST FAR AND WIDE Subject: DIAMOND Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:23:45 EST You may think the Diamond food scare is over, or that only a limited amount of product is involved. Not so. On Monday, March 6 - after 3 feedings of Diamond's Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables...

Diamond Pet food recall [ 5 Answers ]

This is either legit or a very well done hoax, http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/ Ran this through both Hoaxbusters and Urban Legends. Neither confirmed or denied it. It seems to me I have seen some good comments on Diamond. One advantage of Pro Plan, I am sure a recall would be big news.

Dropped diamond earring [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter dropped her diamond earring down the drain. I assume it is caught in the trap but have found that the trap does not have the hand tightened connectors. Instead, it is a solid piece which is connected into another piece which has a purple paint-like substance on it on both ends. I...

View more questions Search