Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MPOP Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Paying state taxes in multiple states
    Hello,

For the first time, I had to pay state tax in CT and NC for 2008.
    After filing a form in CT, I got a letter that I still owe tax. On the form that I sent initially, I put the income from my federal tax form (W-2s from both states), and the income from just CT, which was so little that I should not pay any taxes in CT with that income. However, from the letter I got, they used my whole income as a base (from both states) and charged CT income tax based on my income in both states. Is that correct?
    Thank you for your help!

MP
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 12:47 AM

Where did you live in 2008?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 10:02 AM
    I suspect that you did not properly allocate the income between the two states, nor did you provide a copy of the NC state income tax return to show CT that you paid taxes to NC.

Do these two things and you shold be okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying state tax in 2 states, resident of only one.very confused [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need help... We (myself and kids) live in GA, but my husband just started a new job in VA. He does not have a permanent address there, just living in a room for rent until our house sells. Until the point where we're all in VA, does my husband have to have GA and VA taxes taken out of his...

Multiple state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in Florida and work for a company out of New York. While in Florida, I pay no state taxes. The problem is that I am now working Georgia and South Carolina. They are taking taxes for each state. I don't see how this is fair seeing as I will never benefit from this. Can I file...

S corporation paying state taxes in two states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My partner and I have an S corporation set up in Illinois. He is permanently moving to Iowa. We work as independent contractors on various projects--his mainly in Iowa. As an S corporation, we are employees of the corporation and pay ourselves wages every month. How do we handle paying the...

Multiple state taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from Illinois to California in early February. So, what are the state tax forms that I need to file. Do I need to file the NR forms for both states since I was a part-resident? Thanks Satish

View more questions Search