Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jun 19, 2009, 01:20 PM
    How to tell if cpu or mobo is dead?
    OK, I haven't really been up to date on hardware since the xp3200 was the best cpu out there lol.

I just bought an intel core 2 duo extreme socket 775 cpu, with an asus (forget the exact model of the mobo.. )pqc-ex I think. And 1 gb stick of ddr2 ram

I plugged everything in, I get no POST. No beebs, no nothing. All the power LEDs come on, as well as all the fans. All the power connectors are installed correctly. I tried clearing the cmos as well, didn't do anything. I tried resetting everything, and tried without the memory

When I took out my memory, I got the 3 beeps normal to having no memory. So my question is this. If I get those 3 beeps for not having memory, the beeps also indicate the cpu and mobo is working fine right? Because if the cpu was dead, I wouldn't get any beeps, correct?

I just dropped like 600 bucks on hardware and I still have to buy more once I get this working, if anyone has some expertise or links that would help me out here, specific to my hardware specs, I would appreciate it.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by interinfinity View Post
    so my question is this. if i get those 3 beeps for not having memory, the beeps also indicate the cpu and mobo is working fine right? because if the cpu was dead, i wouldnt get any beeps, correct?
    Yes, in a general broad sense, as the beeps are generated by POST and if CPU isn't working there will be no POST executing. Further, CPUs are pretty reliable. I've never encountered a failed/DOA CPU apart from ones where the heatsink and thermal interface weren't installed correctly and the user burnt it up. A port 80 POST diagnostic card (e.g. Elston Systems) may indicate where the POST process is hanging, however before spending the bucks on that, confirm the memory you bought is recommended by the manufacturer for your particular board. Also, unplug anything else and attempt to get the board, memory, and CPU working correctly before attaching peripherals.

Quote Originally Posted by interinfinity View Post
    if anyone ... would help me out here, specfic to my hardware specs, i would appreciate it.
    I looked for a PQC-EX on Asus's U.S. website. Did not find it. Post exact board model or indicate if you're elsewhere on the planet.
    robse071 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 10:11 AM

Try replacing your RAM with the one that has worked well in another board. Also, power the board with only the RAM and the CPU, before attaching other peripherals. If it doesn't still work, replace the CPU and note the result... good luck!!
    robse071 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
    One more thing, work with the jumper position during powering
    ispthn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 05:13 AM
    Just put together a brand new system, and went to boot up. All the LED's come on the Mobo, have an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto, Corsair Vengeance 4Gb 1600, Asus ENGT430 Video Card, Corsair 650W Power Supply, and no beeps, black screen on Monitor, and Monitor light doesn't stay lit, but just blinks. Tried changing memory slots, tried one stick, than different memory, RMA'd the Motherboard, and just got the new one, and same thing. Am RMA'ing the CPU, is there anything else that I might consider?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

Not sure if its my mobo, cpu, or psu? [ 1 Answers ]

Last week I posted a problem about my monitor getting no signal. After testing I still wasn't sure what the problem was, but I thought it was the mobo. So I got a new mobo and when I put the CPU in, it doesn't power up. Well, it powers up for a split second then it shuts down automatically....

Mobo and reformat [ 4 Answers ]

I can't remember... do I need to reformat my hard drives if I install a new mobo... I didn't think I did before but its been so long since I did... thx folks for any help.. later

Mobo and Processor Compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GVC mb I bought on eBay (big mistake), GVC KR637 Pll 440EX Micro ATX MB anyway it said it supports the Pll, I also bought a Pll (on ebay) and would like to know if I could just plug these in together. I know for a fact that this mobo supports Pll, but I have no manual or specs. I have...

View more questions Search