Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corysp1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Car services
    How do I change the oil and oil filter for a 93 ford taurus?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 11:56 AM

. Warm engine to normal operating temperature. Engine oil drains faster and you have a more complete drain, when the engine is hot. When it's cold, dirt will cling to the sides of the engine block.

. Place car on jack stands.

. Remove the dip stick, in order not to contaminate the PCV Valve.

. Remove the oil fill cap.

. Using a box-end wrench (likely 13mm), remove the drain plug from the oil pan. Drain oil into a suitable pan. Replace drain plug (wipe clean) and tighten to approximately 16 ft.-lbs.

. Using a cap or strap wrench, remove the oil filter. Use a rag or old glove, in order not to burn yourself. BE SURE THAT THE OLD FILTER GASKET CAME OFF WITH THE FILTER! If it stuck to the engine block, be sure to remove it.

. Coat new oil filter (I recommend Purolator PureOne) gasket with engine oil. This ensures the gasket seals properly and helps it come off next time.

. Install filter as tight as you can by hand. If you snug it up with a wrench, don't do it too much.

. Using a funnel, fill the engine with 5W-30 engine oil (likely around 5.5 qts). I recommend using Mobil 1 full-synthetic engine oil and changing it and the filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

. Replace dip stick and oil fill cap.

. Start engine and check for leaks.

. Turn off engine and check the dip stick. Ensure it's not over-filled.

. Update Maintenance Log with date, mileage, and work performed.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 12:25 PM

Automatic transmissions are the weak link on most FWD cars. Here's how to change the transmission fluid and filter yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post552241

Ford recommends changing the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. By the way, I own a 2000 Taurus--great car.

Change air filter every 30,000 miles.
    Change fuel filter every 30,000 miles.
    Change antifreeze (50/50 mixture green antifreeze and distilled water) every 30,000 miles.
    Change platinum spark plugs every 50,000 miles.
    Change PCV Valve every 50,000 miles.
    Change brake fluid every 2 years.
    Change power steering fluid (Mercon ATF) every 2 years. If you use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, change every 75,000 miles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New services [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have an owned cleaning business that has been around over 6 years. I started with small contracts, such as, offices, daycares, supermarkets, car dealerships, etc. I'm doing great. But now, I want to offer a new personalize service as well my company to new customers. Can anyone help...

Services.msc [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was just wanting to know which of the services in services if I disable them will stop me from being able to use msn messenger as this has happened and I have had to start most of the services and this causing my computer to go extremely slow. Thanks:)

View more questions Search