Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Panthermdm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Salaried employee works 2 hours, do I get paid for 8 hours?
    If I'm a salaried employee, and work 2 hours in the office one day, then go home sick, does my employer have to pay me for 8 hours?
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 19, 2009, 06:25 PM

Saying you're "salaried" doesn't give enough information to enable an answer to the question. Are you salaried exempt or salaried non-exempt?

If you're salaried exempt, then your employer is not obligated to pay you overtime. In that case, your employer is obligated to pay you for your full pay period - even if you're out 3/4 of the time in that period for six days.

If you're salaried non-exempt, then you're hourly... but by another name. In this case, your company is only going to pay you for the hours you work (in most cases) or the hours for which you have actual sick time allocation remaining.

How do you know the difference?

Do you receive overtime pay when you exceed 40 hours in a week? If so, you're likely salaried non-exempt... and you're going to either be using up sick time or getting a smaller check.
    wtdubose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 07:50 PM
    Cal DiMangino earns $2,875 each month and works 40 hours each week compute hourly rate computer the hourly rate and the overtime rate
    wtdubose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 07:51 PM

Cal DiMangino earns $2,875 each month and works 40 hours each week compute hourly rate and overtime rate
    suhle Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Feb 2, 2011, 02:43 AM
    In most workplaces you will not get paid for 8 hours. You may have to use 4 hours of sick time, or 8 hours of sick time, if you have any.
    ew0054 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 06:14 AM
    s-a-l-a-r-y
    s-l-a-a-r-y
    s-l-a-v-a-r-y
    s-l-a-v-e-r-y

If terms of pay and employment are not clearly defined from the start, employers will pretty much do whatever they can get away with, especially in this job market. This includes 60+ hour weeks with no overtime or other compensation. If you leave early one day, but your weekly hours still exceeds 40, the employer can still dock you or make you use vacation time to cover the less-than-eight hour day.

If you complain about it, they will say be glad you have a job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly employee working 2,080 hours a year, but is getting paid for just 1,920 [ 7 Answers ]

I am paid hourly. This year, I will work 23 days in Jan. 22 days in Feb. 22 days in March, 21 days in April, 23 days inMay, 21 days in June, 22 days in July, 23 days in Aug. 20 days in Sept. 23 days in Oct. 22 days in Nov. and 20 days in Dec. I get paid on the 1st, and the 15th of each month. My...

Salaried Exempy Employee paycheck docked 1 week pay for arriving 5 hours late [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, A friend and former colleague's paycheck was docked 1 week of pay (approx $2,000) for arriving at work 5 hours late due to car problems. She is a salaried exempt employee in the state of Connecticut. She receives 4 weeks vacation each year, and has over 2 weeks of accrued, unused...

Hourly employee loses hours [ 1 Answers ]

If an hourly employee is required to attend a training session and the session ends earlier than their normal work day hours, what is normal pay practice; pay them for their normal work day hours or only the hours they attended the training session?

What are the standards on Salaried Managers Hours [ 2 Answers ]

I was just curious if when salaried you have to work as many hrs as they want to give you? Or are there any laws saying they need to pay you overtime after a certain amount of hrs?

Hours of a salaried employee laws [ 1 Answers ]

How many hours after 40 do I have to work?

View more questions Search