Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bktolman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 06:31 AM
    Potty training 8 week old- sleeping through the night
    We just adopted an 8 week old mutt from a rescue center. We are crate training her. Is she too young to leave in the crate all night? She wakes up at 2am and cries, barks, and whimpers very loudly. We've gotten up and taken her out (she doesn't go). When we try and get her back in the crate she starts crying loudly again. Last night we left her all night and woke up to a crate and dog covered in poop. I'm feeling lost right now. Some sites say to leave her in the crate all night, getting up will only reinforce her whining. Others say she's too young to leave all night. Help! We're not getting any sleep.
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 06:46 AM

Have to say this, she is still only a baby at 8 weeks, quite young to be away from a litter and her mom and hasn't learned anything positive at that age. You are going to have to have the patience of a saint. Maybe she will be happier in the crate at night near you.

Best bet is to set u p a schedule with her and take her outside before the crate and first thing out of the crate, poop or not. It will do you no good chastising her at this point because she is too young to understand what is going on. She will get the hang of it eventually. She will understand her crate is where she will have to be at night (for the time being I hope).

She does need to bond with you, that will help with the training, she will want to do the right thing for you. So at 8 weeks, cuddling, patting, talking to her will only reinforce the bonbing process.

Sometimes the mutt you adopt from the shelter turns out to be the best dog one ever has.

Tick
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:16 AM
    While 8 weeks is a good time for a puppy to go home, often they still need to go out once in the middle of the night. If she is having soft stools, the vet needs to check a stool sample to find the corect remedy.

Reading through my sticky will be a big help with most of your questions.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:20 AM

I have raised several labs with great success. You should place the crate in your bedroom. They are pack animals and have a natural denning instinct.

Pup was telling you he had to go. Pups at that age may have to go several times a night for several weeks.

Pup should have been vet checked immediately. Most of my labs were checked before entering my home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sleeping at night [ 3 Answers ]

Peyton is now 2 weeks old. She still has her days and nights mixed up which means long nights for me. When she is awake at night she is fussy almost like she is fighting sleep. When she does finally fall asleep I will lay her down for her to wake up 15 to 20 minutes later and the process starts all...

Sleeping through the night [ 1 Answers ]

My one year old german shorthaired pointer won't sleep through the night. He would scratch on his kennel door and want out. I moved his kennel out of our room and set up a bed on the floor next to ours about 3 weeks ago. He still wakes up at 4:00 to 5:00 every morning and sometimes in the...

Potty Training my 12-week Labrador [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new 12-week old lab puppy who is having some housebreaking issues. At weeks 10 and 11 he was sleeping through the night fine and waking up at about 6 to eat and go the bathroom. Over the past two weeks he gets up at 1am, 3am, and then again at 6am. When we let him out at 1am and 3am, he...

Dog not sleeping through the night [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site. My dad asked me to do a little research about why my 4 year old German Shepherd dog isn't sleeping through the night. She eats Eukanuba Large Adult Dry Food mixed with Pedigree Adult wet food at about 6 pm. Before my family goes to bed, we let her out to go to the...

Sleeping through the night [ 7 Answers ]

Ok friends, here's another question for you. Is it normal for a two year old to not be sleeping through the night? My son has basically never slept through the night. There will be an occasional night that he does, but for the most part, he wakes up several times a night. I am tempted to just let...

View more questions Search