Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    archerfish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 01:50 AM
    1099 Contractor or W-2 Employee
    I am an Independent Insurance Agent. I am considering finding a telemarketer (stay at home mom or college student) to set my appointments. I will not be offering any type of benefits and the pay will be based on the appointments set. At the end of the week I would provide the person with my leads and they would set my appointments for the next week. There would be a basic contract that states what is expected and compensation.

Would I classify this person as a 1099 Contractor or a W-2 Employee?

Also on this same subject. I am considering doing something along the same thing with my spouse. She would review all the applications for completeness and send them to the company. She would also maintain the books for my business.

Thank you in advance for any information.
    Lisa K Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 06:29 AM
    The IRS website is a good place to start with questions like this. There are prescribed rules to follow when determining if someone is an employee or a consultant. Check out "Tax Topics: Independent Contractor vs. Employee" on the IRS site here: Tax Topics - Topic 762 Independent Contractor vs. Employee

MBO Partners (the company I work for) also has a lot of resources pulled together to help client companies (which you would be in this case) make such determinations.

You can find the resource and research at MBO Partners Compliance Research | Labor Law | Best Practices.

I hope that helps!
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Jun 19, 2009, 08:13 AM

It appears to me that they would be your employees.

See: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15a.pdf
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Your wife would, In my opinion, be your employee, if only in name! :-)

The telemarketer could be considered an independent contractor based on the fact you do NOT closely supervise his/her work and because you are working through a contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple pay rate for one employee? Or employee and contractor? [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employee perform accounting clerk duties at one rate of pay for 15 hours per week and then perform payroll duties 1-2 days a month at a different rate? Alternatively, can this employee (who has a bona fide accounting business on the side) be an employee for the payroll clerk function and...

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

Independent contractor vs employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a debate with colleagues in the dance school industry. I clearly know the difference between an independent contractor and an employee but many still hire teachers and treat them as independent contractors. They give them set hours, a weekly, monthly or hourly salary and have other...

Both Employee and Independent Contractor... [ 13 Answers ]

How do I properly file my taxes if I worked as an Employee and an Independent Contractor at various times throughout the year?

Both Independent Contractor and Employee? [ 6 Answers ]

I work as a marketing assistant for a real estate company, I get a base salary that the company pays, and on top of that I get a "commission bonus" from the specific agents I work for that is paid directly out of pocket by those agents. The commission bonus is based on what those agents themselves...

View more questions Search