Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    purple_pixy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 01:25 AM
    Sponsering a spouse for permanent residency in canada.
    My husband and I got married in July 2008. We submitted out application to immigration in October 2008. I was wondering about how long does it take to go through the final processing, and for them to then contact us for an interview. I am worried that they might refuse out application. The reason I am worried is that when I was younger (approx 19-20) I was on financial assistance from the government for about a year and a half. I was dealing with major depression at the time, in and out of the hospital. Since I have met my hubby I have been holding a steady full time job earning $12 an hour. Does this effect our case in any way? We are hoping for the best because we are in love, and couldn't be away from each other. If for some reason it is refused and he needs to go back to his home country, I am more than prepared to join him there. Of course we don't want this to happen.. If we are refused can we re-apply right away? And what are the chances of them accepting the second application if they refuse the first one? Also. What kind of questions should I be prepared to answer if they do contact us for an interview? I have been supporting my husband for almost a year now because he is unable to work legally in canada. He came here on a student visa, and now he is no longer in school because of financial difficulties. (its expensive to be an international student). We don't want to take any chances.. we are doing everything by the book.. he is going crazy staying at home and waiting for me to come home from work. We applied for a work visa for him but it was refused.. not sure why. (by the way, we are living in canada.)
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 01:05 PM

Did you send the application as "inside spousal" or "outside spousal"? And to which office? All of this affects your processing time. I am a Canadian citizen and sponsored my wife who is from the US as "outside spousal", the final completed application was mailed in February 2007 and got the final approval November 2007, so 9 months.
    purple_pixy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 08:16 PM
    We applied as inside spousal sponsership. (we are both living in canada) Our application was sent to be processed in vegreville Alberta. We have gotten a letter in the mail saying they have processed it and have sent it back to our local cic office, and they will contact us if they require an interview. My husband came to canada on a student visa, and now is just at home waiting for immigration to contact us. His visa expires in 2011. We first sent in the application in October 2008.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 08:08 AM

Okay, I see that CPC Vegreville is currently processing batches of applications received up to Dec 30, 2008 and is estimating a processing time of up to 6 months. If you don't hear something by the first week of July you should call again.

Also there is a website where you can check your file, it's at the top of the page I am posting below.

Application Processing Times: Applications Processed in Canada
    twohearts08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 03:29 PM
    My husband and I are in the same boat except reversed, he is sponsoring me. We got married in June of 2008 and sent the paperwork in October 2008. We received a letter in April stating they had forwarded our appilication to the local office, when we were gone on a trip to celebrate our first wedding anniversary a letter came telling us we had an interview in July 2009, this letter came on the 26th of June and the interview is the 17th of July. So we had quite a wait, hope this helps answer part of your question.
    aaron71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 04:23 PM
    From what I understand, if you applied inside Canada, then your spouse would be able to obtain an open work permit once the sponsorship application has been approved. He can then work legally until the permanent resident application has completed.

I would phone CIC and inquire about this.

Aaron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Permanent Residency in India [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I am Iranian and live in Iran. My parents, my brother and I have made several trips to India over the past few years and we are all in love with the country. We would like to live to India for good. Our family has reasonable funds amounting to around 1 million USD. What are the...

Permanent residency in Australia [ 5 Answers ]

I am diploma in information technology the two years diploma. I don't know whether with this course can I get Permanent residency or not. Some of my friends are telling me that I have to do university to get PR and some of are telling me it depends on the point calculation. Please if anybody can...

Continuing Education without permanent residency [ 1 Answers ]

State : New York Hello I have a friend who came to the United States on a temporary visa sometime during grade school and she has continued her education up till her current status as a first year in a city college. Her temporary visa has expired for quite a while and she would like to continue...

Permanent residency application and tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently had an attorney assist in my application for permanent residency in US. Since this will replace my current work TN VISA (temporary VISA), is the attorney fee a deductable expense on my tax?

View more questions Search