Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samantha1982 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 04:36 PM
    Wisdom teeth removed
    Hi I had 2 wisdom teeth removed today (10am) 1 of them was impacted and I have a sticth there now! I was wanting to know if it was normal for it to still be bleeding? Its very very painful and swollen I have taken 2 codine and that seems to of help the pain and also there is a funny taste and odour in my mouth is this natural?
    I've been sucking through a straw since 12 they didn't say I wasn't alllowed but I've looked on here and it seems I shouldn't of been!
    I want to know if the bleeding is normal? And also do you think it sounds like I've got dry mouth?
    PLEASE HELP xx
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jun 18, 2009, 04:42 PM

One day is not enough time to tell if you have an infection or dry socket... do NOT smoke or drink through a straw. Start salt water rinses tomorrow... bleeding is normal, bite down (pressure on the extraction site) on some gauze or a moist teabag to stop bleeding... if it won't stop by tomorrow then you can go back to the dentist... bottom line is, if you have any concerns go back 48 hours after the extraction to the dentist. Pain and slight bleeding is normal now though
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jun 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Remember that a little blood looks like A LOT when it is mixed with spit
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 04:47 PM

Didn't the dentist give you a printed sheet full of after-surgery instructions? If so, please read it and follow his directions.

Instead of "dry mouth," I think you mean "dry socket." I'm guessing not, but knock off the straw use. The funny taste is probably oozing blood (coppery taste?) and the smell is left from the impacted tooth.

I suspect the instructions will tell you to apply ice packs to your face over the site(s) where the teeth were pulled. Your face will probably bruise and be swollen for a week or so.

If the pain continues more than a couple of days, call the dentist.
    samantha1982 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Thank you for your replys you have put me at a little ease.
    Yes I did mean dry socket and no they didn't tell me to put ice on it or not drink through a straw and u would have thought they would have since it was done at hospital!
    Thanks again x
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 05:29 PM

Also, stay away from broccoli, strawberries, and other foods with little seed or seed like things to them. They can get caught in the stitches and increase the chance of infection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Five wisdom teeth. [ 8 Answers ]

So, I've needed my wisdom teeth out for a little while now. I have five wisdome teeth but none of them have erupted yet. My face swells up sometimes and I can't eat.. they cause a lot of pain. Not all the time though. They just act up at times. I've lost my insurance now and the dentist had told me...

Wisdom Teeth [ 4 Answers ]

I will soon be getting my wisdom teeth removed and I am assuming that they will put me fully under. I have never experienced this before and with the new movie out (Awake - where the man is mentally awake during his entire surgery and can feel all the pain) I am just a little curious I guess as to...

Husband getting wisdom teeth removed.thing I should get while he recovers? [ 12 Answers ]

My husband is 26 and will be getting all 4 of his wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow. I had all 4 of mine extracted when I was about 16... so that was 9 years ago and I can't remember too much about it. I know they say recovery is worse the older you are (as far as this goes). I am going out...

Wisdom Teeth [ 14 Answers ]

My son had his 4 wisdom teeth and 4 back molars removed yesterday. He has kept the gause on nad changed as needed. He has now put the tea bags on the spot since it is still bleeding. Is this normal? Should he put the gause back in? I do not want him to get dry sockets as I have heard that this...

I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. [ 6 Answers ]

K I just got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago and I'm still in pain and I'm still swollen. 1 of my stitches fell out today and I'm wondering if that's normal. I'm like totally freaking out. Am I allowed to smoke? I have been and I'm very worried if I'm going to get an infection. Can...

View more questions Search