Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 09:04 AM
    The right tool for the job
    I have been recently looking at finish nailers (15-16ga) and brad/staple nailers (18ga)

I have no clue which I should get.

My primary use will (initially) be crown molding (into drywall and cabinets), shoe molding and possibly some baseboards and picture moldings.

Will an 18 ga brad nailer be sufficient for those and other random around the house joining projects or should I step up and get a 16 ga finish nailer?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 09:10 AM

An 18 gauge pin nailer should work on crown but no nail will stick in drywall. You need to use a pin long enough to reach the framing behind the drywall. I bought a Bostitch and never regreted it. 18 is on the light side but should be Ok. Stanley Bostitch :  BOS
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 09:13 AM

I was looking at the Bostitch BT200 (5/8 to 2in brad) nailer.

Would you consider this a solid all purpose tool?

Amazon.com: Factory-Reconditioned Bostitch U/BT200K-2 5/8-Inch to 2-Inch 18 Gauge Brad Nailer: Home Improvement
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 09:30 AM

All purpose, no, but a good pin nailer for trim. I own one, they are inexpensive and do the job on trim. However, I also have a 15 and 16 gauge nailer and when doing 1x3 cedar trim switch to these heavier guns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tool bar [ 3 Answers ]

A tool bar has appeared at the bottom of my screen, and it is there constantly, even when I'm not viewing the internet. When I am looking at photo's it's still there and very annoying. Some one said to find it in add/delete programmes and delete it, but there is nothing there to say what it is. It...

Monitoring Ad Click Tool and Autoresponder tool [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want the details of the AD Click Tools and Autoresponder tools. Regards, Stany

Which is the best cd/vcd/dvd burning tool ? [ 4 Answers ]

Besides Nero, what are the other cd/vcd/dvd burning tools ? Are they freeware ? Which is the best ? Can someone help me ? Thanks !

Tool! [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in a really Tool-y mood. I hope I'm not the only Tool-head here. Jambi I think is my new favorite song. What's everyone's favorite Tool song or album or lyric or riff or WHATEVER?

New tool bar in IE [ 1 Answers ]

When I log onto my internet explorer I get a new tool bar at the bottom of the screen , how can I get rid of this , I got spybot, adaware, Thanks in advance

View more questions Search