Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbspeterlee Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 07:13 AM
    H-1B Work Visa Application Issues
    Hi,

I got something very knotty involved.

My nationality is Chinese, and I don't have any Permanent Resident status in other countries.

A company in the US file the 2010 H-1B for me, and the petition has been approved. I have everything at hand now to apply for the H-1B non-immigrant work visa.

The issue is:

I'm now working in the Republic of Singapore, and I checked the US consulate in Singapore, finding:
    faq12 - U.S. Embassy Singapore
    During the visa interview, a Consular Officer is required to assess the bona fides of the applicant and the likelihood that they will return abroad from the U.S. If the applicant is applying in Singapore, the Consular Officer will be looking for significant ties to Singapore which would encourage the applicant to return to Singapore. Applicants from other countries will have an extremely difficult time in showing these types of significant ties to Singapore and would do better to apply in their home countries

And our attorney in the US company also strongly recommends me to apply in my home country (China).

I could request some several PTO days from my current boss, and then go to China for the application (visa interview)

However, due to my major (Physics), there is a big possiblitiy for me to get the so-called "Held Pending Administrative Processing":
    Held Pending Administrative Processing - "U.S. Consulate General Shanghai, China"
    Receiving the card does not mean that your visa has been approved. It merely indicates that the Consulate is keeping your passport while we complete the administrative processing. If you need your passport for travel, please tell the officer at the time of the interview and we will make special arrangements.

Which means, if the so-called "Held Pending Administrative Processing" really happens to me, I cannot return to Singapore (The processing time usually lasts three to four weeks.)

So what should I do?

Thanks.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jun 18, 2009, 08:54 AM

Generally, you can apply for a visa outside your home country if you are in that country lawfully, in this case you are a TCN (third country national), and you have work authorization in Singapore. Contact AMCON NIV section to confirm they will accept you as a TCN and apply.

I trust this is responsive to your inquiry.
    bbspeterlee Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DCcityboy View Post
    generally, you can apply for a visa outside your home country if you are in that country lawfully, in this case you are a TCN (third country national), and you have work authorization in Singapore. contact AMCON NIV section to confirm they will accept you as a TCN and apply.

i trust this is responsive to your inquiry.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm working here lawfully with an Employment Pass.

I made a call to them, definitely, and I was told that I could apply here in Singapore.

My concern is:
    faq12 - U.S. Embassy Singapore
    During the visa interview, a Consular Officer is required to assess the bona fides of the applicant and the likelihood that they will return abroad from the U.S. If the applicant is applying in Singapore, the Consular Officer will be looking for significant ties to Singapore which would encourage the applicant to return to Singapore. Applicants from other countries will have an extremely difficult time in showing these types of significant ties to Singapore and would do better to apply in their home countries

And our attorney in the US company also strongly recommends me to apply in my home country (China).

I don't have any tie to Singapore now.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jun 18, 2009, 09:08 PM

Then do as the attorney advises. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse visa application for H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Turkey and I got my H1B visa last year and it is current until 2011. I will be getting married in Turkey in a month. I would like to apply for H4 visa for my wife since you can go to school with your H4. I am trying to collect all the documents. The only detail that I couldn't...

About Visa Application [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to join INSEAD for pursuing my MBA. INSEAD has got two campuses one in France and one in Singapore. I will be first joining Singapore campus and for two months or so in between will be joining French campus. I wish to know that when I will be moving from Singapore to France whether I...

View more questions Search