Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 07:52 AM
    Nope its summer through to Jan mostly and winter in February, cold but I haven't worn a winter coat since 2002. Hm I left it in Indiana, now its COLD there and It snows like... WE called them blizzards, but nothing shut down unlike Texas, if it snows they shut all north Texas down and you stay home until its gone, strangest thing I ever saw. The sun melts things by noon most times
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 07:52 AM
    WOW amazing. So u only have 1 month of winter?
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Nov 17, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    WOW amazing. So u only have 1 month of winter?

KRS I wish I were where you are. ;)

I live in Nebraska also, it is located smack dab in the middle of the US. Most of Nebraska is flat and our main source of income is farming corn, soy beans, and raising cattle.

We have more than 1 month of winter here, we have approximately 5 months--and I hate it. As Single4 said we feel lucky it will be 50 degrees this weekend here. :(

I am a warm weather person myself--I don't like cold. Last winter I was snowed in-- our drive way had 3 - 4 feet of snow and we couldn't get out also our electricity was out for 3 days because of the blizzard. We finally got out when a nice farmer drove by on his tractor and dug us out.

All of you sound so experienced in traveling--I guess I am too poor to travel, but someday maybe. :rolleyes:

I can live through you guys.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 08:05 AM
    As compared to other parts of the country. Far as I know the only ski's in Texas are water ski's. Now the wind can be brutal and you better protect yourself, 30 degrees may shut every thing down as the wind makes what they call black ice and they shut down all the highways.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 17, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Black ice is hideous.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:08 AM
    BIM you are welcome to come visit me.
    If you are a warm weather person then the mediterrean would actually suit you rather well, such as places like spain, italy and MALTA (my home).
    Our main source of income in Malta is tourism.

We have farmers to in Malta but mainly in Gozo, Gozo is a smaller island as Malta is the mother island of the maltese archipelago.

I can't imagine what I would do if I saw so much snow. When I lived in UK for 6 years it snowed only once but not a lot and I remember I was SO excited the I ran outside and bare handed I grabbed a bunch of snow... and OUCH it hurt lol, silly mediterrean gal ;)
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Here in NY it is similar to BIM. Typically we have winter from November to the middle of March. And I live where there is lake effect snow... having more then a foot of snow in a couple of hours has been known to happen.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:14 AM
    I want snow... Im jealous.

Here in Malta it starts getting warm in April, summer starts in May through to Oct, but July is the hottest month, November is pleasant, December through to Feb - what we call "winter", March.. a very short spring lol
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    And I live where there is lake effect snow....
    What's that?

My brother is infatuated with NY, all I hear is NY NY NY NY.. he wants to be come a NYPD...
    He LOVES america

Nov 17, 2006, 08:31 AM
    I don't want snow!! :( I want warm & sunny. :)

I have never been to NY - I would like to go at christmas, I think that would be nice.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    As compared to other parts of the country. Far as I know the only ski's in Texas are water ski's. Now the wind can be brutal and you better protect yourself, 30 degrees may shut every thing down as the wind makes what they call black ice and they shut down all the highways.
    Black ice? Huh
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BIM
    I don't want snow!!!! :( I want warm & sunny. :)

I have never been to NY - I would like to go at christmas, I think that would be nice.
    Actually its in our thing to do list some time.
    Me, hubby, bro, mum and her partner, spend Xmas in NY..
    Just like the movies :)
    With snow everywhere, jumping into the yellow cabs, walking passed all those huge buildings. Amazing. 1 of my dreams.
    Visit the Empire State building, statue of liberty...
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Black ice?? huh
    When the cold wind freezes the pavement making it so slick you have no control over you car. You can't see it either. When I lived in Indiana on the tip of Lake Michigan the lake effect snow was like a blizzard some time. I never stayed home from school because of the weather in my life and have a bad back to this day from shoveling snow all my life. You can have the snow and cold, but I do miss cross country skiing in the winter.

Nov 17, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Actually its in our thing to do list some time.
    Me, hubby, bro, mum and her partner, spend Xmas in NY..
    Just like the movies :)
    With snow everywhere, jumpin into the yellow cabs, walking passed all those huge buildings. Amazing. 1 of my dreams.
    Visit the Empire State building, statue of liberty....
    Yes! Ice skating in Rockefellar Center. It would be nice even to see the ball drop in time square over new years.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BIM
    Yes!! Ice skating in Rockefellar Center. It would be nice even to see the ball drop in time square over new years.
    Absolutley
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    When the cold wind freezes the pavement making it so slick you have no control over you car. You can't see it either. When I lived in Indiana on the tip of Lake Michigan the lake effect snow was like a blizzard some time. I never stayed home from school because of the weather in my life and have a bad back to this day from shoveling snow all my life. You can have the snow and cold, but I do miss cross country skiing in the winter.
    WOW literally freezing then... :eek:

Ive never been skiing and again its one thing I HAVE to do. In fact next New Year hopefully go to switzerland or austria which are great for skiing and give it a shot.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Nov 17, 2006, 08:57 AM
    [QUOTE=Krs][QUOTE=SINGLE4]Trying living in Nebraska!

Where is Nebraska? :o
    Nebraska is somewhat in the middle of the US! There are 2 states between Nebraska and Texas! Texas is to the South of Nebraska!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:58 AM
    I actually live 5 hours away from NYC. They get far less snow there then I do where I live. NYC during the holidays is magical. I have only been there during that time once or twice. When they get a lot of snow it gets kind of hairy there because they have no place to put it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 08:59 AM
    WOW 5 hours drive.
    Here in Malta to get from 1 end to the other end of the island could probably take you 1 hr maximum lol

Nov 17, 2006, 09:02 AM
    KRS I just looked up Malta. It looks awesome. Are you anywhere near Comino "The Blue Lagoon" That is where I want to be. Soooooo pretty.

WOW I didn't even know that place existed. Malta is an Island, right? (stupid me from Nebraska) What do you do there?

It looks like you could get to Spain, Italy, France, & Greece pretty easily, do you fly there? (probably another stupid question) :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Original Lounge [ 1624 Answers ]

Well, folks, I thought I would start a thread that has absolutely NO subject. So, welcome to The Lounge. A great place to chit-chat about everything and nothing. No matter what you want to say here will be off-topic. The menu: Coffee (Val I made it just for you) Kool-aid for Tal I have...

View more questions Search