Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Bag of pups found.
    Hey all, been a busy weekend, out for a walk over the weekend and found a bag of pups that someone had tried to drown... the bag was at the side of a river where I walk,saw something moving and went to investigate.. 4 pups dead one alive.took him to the vet,we are now the proud owners of a 5 week old lab/terrier cross.. or something like that!
    He was healthy apart from the trauma.
    I have taken the usual measures with a young pup,can anyone suggest ways to help me make him feel secure.. he is terrified of every noise and movement,not playing,but eating and drinking.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Get a wind-up clock. The rhythmic ticking will remind him of his mother's heartbeat in the womb. Get him a blanket and a small box to stay in, something cozy. He should be fine soon, he's been through a traumatic time. Good luck and GOD bless you both.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 10:41 AM

I would expect something like this after what he has been through. Time, love and security will be the best thing for him. Try (I know easier said than done) to keep noise down a bit. But don't try to make it silent in the house, he needs to readjust to normal every day sounds.

Good luck hon. And gratz on the bundle of love. I'm only sorry the others weren't saved.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 10:47 AM

A clock.good idea.. hes wrapped up in a blanket on my lap at the moment,as soon as I put down him down, he crys and shakes.
    The vet said he was healthy.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 11:09 AM

He would be used to being around his brothers and sisters as well as his mother.

Give him time, it will take a while for him to get used to be alone but he will eventually.

At 5 weeks he would only just be on solid food and should still be feeding off his mother.. poor little thing, thank you for saving him.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 11:15 AM

Hye shaz,my other dog is being very curious,but he's a good dog,not showing any signs of jealously.. im feeding the pup little and offen.
    Can't believe someone would be so callous and cruel to drown pups.. theres a shelter only 20 minutes from where I found them..
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 12:04 PM

Get him a flat stuffed animal he can lay on. It will keep him warm and feeling secure. They sell them in most pet stores.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 12:37 PM

Good idea!
    You can buy stuffed animals that have "heartbeats" but they are gard to find unfortunately.

There is a shelter 20 minutes away! How horrible!

No matter how much trouble an animal is I would never just dump them in a bag and drown them!
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 06:44 AM

Clock.. tick.
    Furry toy.. tick
    Lots of poo.. tick
    Cutest thing you ever saw.. tick.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:34 AM

Haha, definitely keeping this little one then :)

You will have to post some pictures!
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
    You know you have to come up with a cool name now, considering the circumstances. Please let us know what you come up with. Hey, the stuffed animal idea sounds good too.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 18, 2009, 09:14 AM

Lucha
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 05:48 AM

I'll throw in my two cents worth... You probably already have a name but I love thinking of names for pups :)
    I don't know whether you would want to be reminded of the whole "water" situation where you found him but I came across a couple of pretty water names...

Ahava means water
    Darya means river ocean or sea
    Kai means sea

I love this one:
    # KETO (Κητώ): Greek name meaning "sea monster." In mythology, this is the name of a goddess of sharks, whales, and other dangers of the sea. ( technically a girls name but I can picture him as a little sea monster hehe)

Jun 19, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I'll throw in my two cents worth... You probably already have a name but I love thinking of names for pups :)
    I don't know whether you would want to be reminded of the whole "water" situation where you found him but I came across a couple of pretty water names...

Ahava means water
    Darya means river ocean or sea
    Kai means sea

I love this one:
    # KETO (Κητώ): Greek name meaning "sea monster." In mythology, this is the name of a goddess of sharks, whales, and other dangers of the sea. ( technically a girls name but I can picture him as a little sea monster hehe)
    I know what you mean. I know that I wasn't asked to share my opinion on names, but I was thinking it would be so cool to give the puppy a strong name that represented the struggle and fight that he went through to survive. I love this story and am so happy that he was saved.
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    I know what you mean. I know that I wasn't asked to share my opinion on names, but I was thinking it would be so cool to give the puppy a strong name that represented the struggle and fight that he went through to survivor. I love this story and am so happy that he was saved.
    Same here, sounds like he is a little fighter!

What does lucha mean? Fighter?

Jun 19, 2009, 10:42 AM

In spanish lucha has 4 meanings, 2 synonym groups and 5 synonyms
    Armed struggle
    Battle
    Clash
    Combat
    Conflict
    Contest
    Fight
    Set-to
    Struggle
    Which is really what drew me to the name. I LOVE IT!
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    in spanish lucha has 4 meanings, 2 synonym groups and 5 synonyms
    armed struggle
    battle
    clash
    combat
    conflict
    contest
    fight
    set-to
    struggle
    Which is really what drew me to the name. I LOVE IT!
    Very nice! And very fitting!
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2009, 03:11 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions on the names,we too wanted a strong name for our little man,we already have a seamus,(jack russell whose mother died when he was 4 weeks old,and with a LOT of care survived,he's a scrapper if ever there was one,so,for the new addition we went for another strong irish name.. ladies and gentleman I'm pleased to introduce you to peader (pad - er)..
    Id love to hear anyone else's story about pets surviving against the odds.
    This little man has me wrapped around his little paw!
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 21, 2009, 03:44 AM

Redhed35 you are one of a kind. Thank you for giving this pup a second chance. You saved his life literally.

Yesterday I posted a thank you to all the dog rescuers, who help place dogs in loving homes. You would definitely fit into this category. SO please read the following:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/today-made-difference-367032.html

I know what you mean about pets surviving against the odds. Believe it or not my Siberian Husky Rex wasn't always my dog. When he was pup me and my brother wen't to get him. My brother let me pick him out. I of course picked the puppy chewing on my brothers shoes. Rex was supposed to be my brother's dog seeing as how I was only 12 and probably at that point not quite ready for the responsibility.

As the days went on and Rex got older, my brother seemed to be working more, he hardly ever paid attention to Rex. So when he needed a walk or to be fed or brushed I would do it. After owning him for a couple months he became too much for my mom. She would tell my brother constantly that he needed to start training him because he was becoming too much of a handful. One day my mom came to me and told me that we were going to have to give him away. My heart broke as I had come to love the little guy despite all his behavioral problems(such as biting and nipping). She said that my brother didn't have enough time for him. Right away I knew that I couldn't let her give Rex away.

So despite being only 12 years old I took on the full fledged responsibility of Rex. I taught him everything I know. My mother quickly saw the change in the dog and how close I had gotten to him. And she knew she couldn't take him from me, she knew I wouldn't let her. I grew to love Rex and seeing what a great companion and how they love unconditionally is what pushed me to where I am today. He showed me how great pets are and made me want to protect pets everywhere. Through these 4yrs that I've owned Rex I've not once given up on him. And he paid me back ten-fold. He was there for me through everything, by my side, relentlessly. Helping me face all the chalenges of my life and not once blinking or backing down.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2009, 03:59 AM
    This is an amazing story of survival. I can't imagine how he survived being thrown in the river, and all the others didn't make it. GOD wanted this puppy to live. Sounds like he's destined for greatness. Well, good luck to you both, and try not to spoil him too much... Can you post us a picture one day soon ? Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New dog got Parvo now my pups have it too! [ 4 Answers ]

I had gotten a male dog from a breeder. She told me he had been fully vaccinated. He became my best buddy and went everywhere with me. One day he started getting sick but I thought he ate something bad when he was outside. 2 days later he tested positive for Parvo. I had 2 13 week old pups in...

What do I feed my pups? [ 1 Answers ]

My chihuahua delivered her puppies very greatly although 1 died we still have two very healthy chihuahua pups. They are 3 weeks old about to be 4 on Tuesday. I visited this site saying I should give them mushy food for one meal a day. Does anyone know what type of mushy food to give them? Help...

Parvo And Well Pups [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 Cairn Terriers had litters of pups 2 days apart. At 6 weeks, (1st shots not given yet), out of 14 pups, 8 died from parvo. I had originally quarantined the sick ones, but as the days went by, more got sick very quickly. Two that had the virus have survived and seem to be thriving. The...

What ARE these pups? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We've recently taken in two puppies that were dropped off on a friend's doorstep. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the mix might be. These pictures are both of the girl (they look very similar.) I've had pit bull suggested, but we're really not sure. Is there any way to tell...

Doxie Pups Run From Me [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my 9 month old Doxie pups from running away from me? The female does this when I want to put her in the kennel (she will not be bribed with treats) and the male when he occasionally gets out the front door and runs across the street. I've "had it" with the both of them and ready to...

View more questions Search