Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Seriously? I need to vent
    Ok, here's the lowdown. My dad and stepmom built a house the year I graduated in 2001. They built it with the intentions that my brother and I would live there and pay them rent. That's fine. I had a job since I was 16, now that I'm out of school I'll pay rent. Not a big deal. Ok so my brother and I were both paying rent once my brother got out of school and got a full time job.

Everything's fine until my stepmom loses her job. She missed all kind of work and she eventually got let go. She has been unemployed for over 2 years. I moved out last year when my husband and I got married. I would have stayed long to help him pay the mortgage- we stayed 3 months to help out before we found a house. When you just get married you kind of want to be out on your own.

So now my dad's struggling to pay the bills, burning through savings and asking my grandpa for money because his wife won't take a job. "well it's not going to pay as well as my last job." I'm sorry but no, it probably won't. That's something you deal with when you start all over. ANY job is better than NO job.

My dad has now found someone who wants to rent downstairs which in turn will force my brother out. I do not understand why my dad hasn't just flipped out on my stepmom yet. She gets offered a job at quite a few places she interviews but she won't get off her high horse and take one. She turns them down because she wants to do "powerpoint." It's taken a lot to keep my mouth shut but I don't know how much longer I can do this. Sometimes it's so hard to keep the peace, especially when I know my dad is struggling.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:37 AM

Families. Rah. :)

So sorry. Not much you can do, is there?

Go blow bubbles. It helps. Or, get a cup of coffee. That helps, too.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:41 AM

No there really isn't anything I can do. I just told my brother he could stay at our place until he finds his own. He was staying with my dad because it was easier to save money for a down payment on a house that way.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:44 AM

That's a great thing you're doing for your brother.

Getting bitter is the thing to avoid... trying to see the positive of the situation (you have some time with your brother) is the only thing that's going to help you through this insanity.

Support your Dad. Be there for your brother. Vent, vent, VENT on AMHD when you need to take out some frustration. Use us as a sounding board... it's much better than family! :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:45 AM

Exactly why I got on here instead of making a phone call. LOL. This place is great when you need to vent.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:47 AM

Lol... I know! It's awesome. Its our Venterator. :)
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:54 AM

If this was me I would go straight for the stepmoms throat on this one. My wife has given her brother so much of our money to "help" him, his kids and wife out. We have paid their rent bought diapers formula etc... then I found out him and his wife were doing coke. I told her no more but of course she did for the kids. Then her brother and his wife had the nerve to actually say no one ever helps them out. Well I just lost it I literally grabbed him by the throat and listed all the money we have given him. Then her dad tried to jump and I told him to keep his mouth shut since the only reason he is living in the house he is in is because we gave him X amount of dollars to even have a down payment. Over all it was one of the best Thanksgiving ever.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:58 AM

I'm sorry your going through this hon. I'm glad you have us to vent on :D vent away. I hope she pulls her head out of her rear end and accepts a job, even if its 'below her'
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 10:07 AM

I too hope that she pulls her head out of her rear. I don't understand why they don't try to sell the house, rather than find strangers to live downstairs.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 11:27 AM

Your step mom is being way too picky and selfish.
    I bet she would make at least as much as you were paying in rent. I bet she could find a part time job if she refuses to work a full time one that she hates.

They should have been looking at all the 'what if's' all along
    Like what if Zoe and her brother move out once they turn 18.
    There really isn't anything you can do and don't feel obligated to lend them money either. The month after you do they will just need more anyway.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 02:53 AM

Thanks N0help. Yeah, for the first few months after we got married I felt like maybe we should stay for a bit just to help them out but after 3 months it was enough. I would hear about her turning down jobs left and right. Apparently she just got offered a job at a nursing home but didn't want to work with old people so she might not take that either. I'm sorry but what a B!&#$. What's wrong with old people? I could go on and on about this but I think I'll just stop there. LOL. I just really don't understand her.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 03:48 AM

My one neighbor is like that. People like this are so high and mighty in their attitude about themselves yet at the same time they are miserable with themselves. They end up taking it out on everybody else. They think they are too good for anything.
    My neighbor couldn't keep a job for more than two months because every job was beneath her. Yet she didn't know how to do anything except use a cash register.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 06:31 AM

My wife has a friend who can never hold a job. After the first day she'll come over and tell us about what the company is doing wrong and how stupid everyone is there. We try to explain to her that it is her first day keep your mouth shut and do your job. That will last a week and then she will literally tell her boss that he/she is an idiot and she has no idea how they even have a job and then she will walkout. I just don't understand that.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 06:34 AM

Tactful! Hahaha. Don't people understand that jobs (although they're not always fun/rewarding etc.) are necessary to pay bills?
    Kagan88 Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Jun 29, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    im sorry your going thru this hon. im glad you have us to vent on :D vent away. i hope she pulls her head out of her rear end and accepts a job, even if its 'below her'
    No job is below anyone that doesn't have one due to them thinking they are too good for a job...

Sorry to hear about your situation... but vent here that's what I do! Amazing group of people to vent to! If I were you though I would stay strong for your dad and your brother after enough time your dad will say something to your step mom hopefully...
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 05:01 PM

Really sorry to hear about your situation.

I hope that your dad is happy with your step-mom though.

Has there been any updates since?
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 03:38 AM

Well she did start a couple days ago at the job that she didn't want, working with "old people" as she put it. I just wonder how long she'll stay.

To be honest I don't know if my dad is happy with her or not. I used to think so, but I've been asking myself the same thing lately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Attic vent and vent pipe leaks through roof [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: I have water leaking down through the attic vents and white PVC vent pipes. What is the best way to repair these leaks? Can repairs be made from inside the attic? Should the vents be replaced (they are plastic)? Thank you!:(

Does bathroom vent+range hood vent need insulated? [ 3 Answers ]

I will be using solid pipe for both. They will be run inside the joist space above a finished kitchen/bathroom. Someone told me that it's a good idea to insulate the first 6ft from the outside wall? Cheers

When installing a sweat shut off with a vent, what side of the feed does the vent go [ 5 Answers ]

What side of the feed does the vent go on a sweat valve with this feature?

Condensation Build-up under Vent where Furnace vent exits Roof Line [ 4 Answers ]

I had a small water stain appear on my roof this winter and went up in the attic to find frozen condensation below the vent where both my water heater and my furnce exit the roof top. Do you have any suggestions on what could be causing this and how to rectify the situation.

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

View more questions Search