Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rougesquadrn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Dual run capacitor(3 terminals).or is single run capacitor(2 terminals) OK?
    Hello all,

I have an older Amana HVAC system in my home. Home is 6yrs old. It Appears that my condenser unit was struck by lightning because one of the 3 terminals on the dual run capacitor was blown/melted and all the wires connected to the dual run capacitor were fried (It did storm the night before). So an "AC tech" neighbor of mine says I need to replace the run capacitor. He replaced it with a run capacitor that has only two terminals. The AC starts again and it is blowing cool air. The next day it goes out again... he comes over, looks at it and now the condenser fan motor is out?? I didn't know anything about HVAC systems at the moment and still don't. However, I did some quick research and read in a couple of places that the two terminal run capacitor, "powers only one device" (compressor or fan motor). Is this correct?. and if so, is it possible that the motor went bad because the wrong capacitor (2 terminal) was used to replace the dual run capacitor the day before?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 06:43 AM

You need 2 capacitors or a double capacitor.
    pcampion Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Aug 24, 2009, 06:30 PM

Its called a permanent split capacitor, make sure it is sized correctly, and I doubt it was hit by lightning, your compressor may be getting on in years and may be on its way out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start capacitor/ run capacitor info [ 3 Answers ]

OK I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a run capacitor or my start capacitor My fan on top of my unit runs but the compressor will hum for about 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so . Is it possible for my duel run capacitor to let the fan run but not let the compressor run, or is...

Dual capacitor to two capacitors wiring [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to chang my fan motor and the new motor calls for a different capacitor... the wiring is obviously different. I took the old wires off the old capacitor and wired in the new capacitor as directed on the new motor. Leaving the old one just for the compressor wired the same as it was. The...

Tempstar dual capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced my motor on my outdoor unit but can't remember how the wiring goes back to dual capacitor, I have three wires, brown with red mark, red and white. Which goes to common and fan and which terminal does the other wire go to?

Ceiling fan: change capacitor for single speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Loyal Products made in Taiwan fan with melted 4 wire capacitor. The capacitor has blue wire in and red 4uF, white 4.5uF and yellow 5uF wires out. This is connected to a two layer switch by the red and yellow wire. The white capacitor wire connects to a red wire going into the motor. My...

View more questions Search