Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevtri Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Adhesive for copper
    Hello friend... Just fabricated a chimney cap to install over two of my fireplace flues... The top roof was made of sheet metal, and I want to install copper over this metal... What would be a good adhesive that would withstand the heat, and not have a bad effect on the copper... Some high temp. RTV silicone caulkings have a bad reation with copper... thanks A lot... :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 07:39 AM

Installing copper on top of sheet metal is not a good idea for this application. The two metals have different coefficients of expansion and will warp when heated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to cap a copper water line: compression fitting or copper cap? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi all, Unsuccessfully tried to cap a copper water line by soldering a pre-soldered cap onto the end. Took all the proper steps, cleaned the ends of the pipe and fitting first, then applied flux around both. Wasn't quite sure what I should be heating, so I just heated everything. After my first...

How to conect copper threaded tee to copper piping [ 14 Answers ]

I tried to install a copper threaded tee which connects 2 ends of copper piping and a line to dishwasher (plastic hose). Still a dripping leak at the joints.

Sweating copper to copper valve connections [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing my shower with a Moen system that has a Moentrol three function transfer valve Model 3330. The inlet and outlets are copper to copper. Other than removing the cartridges prior to sweating is their any particular trick to heating those connections on the valve? Thanks very much for...

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search